Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

SAC

May 21, 2014
Southgate has been very good for England. He isn't the best manager in the world but even though it is well paid, who else would manage England for £4 million a year?

Armchair England fans have never warmed to him but fans who attend England matches have understood that he is as good as we are probably going to get and will leave us in a much better place than when he came into the job.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Southgate has been very good for England. He isn't the best manager in the world but even though it is well paid, who else would manage England for £4 million a year?

Armchair England fans have never warmed to him but fans who attend England matches have understood that he is as good as we are probably going to get and will leave us in a much better place than when he came into the job.
Firstly, £4.88m is nearer £5m than £4m. He's vastly overpaid compared with his Euro rivals.

So who would manage England for £5m? Probably any of those listed below compared with their current salaries.
£4.04m Julian Nagelsmann (Germany)
£3.37m Roberto Martinez (Portugal)
£3.20m Didier Deschamps (France)
£2.53m Louis van Gaal (Netherlands)
£2.53m Luciano Spalletti (Italy)

With the possible exception of Martinez, I'd take any of the other 4 in a heartbeat over Southgate.
The English FA can do much better with their money.

No armchair England fan here. I was in Munich for the 1-5 after seeing the Albion lose at Northampton the night before, went to Japan for the WC2002 and have seen plenty of friendlies and qualifiers at home and abroad.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Firstly, £4.88m is nearer £5m than £4m. He's vastly overpaid compared with his Euro rivals.

So who would manage England for £5m? Probably any of those listed below compared with their current salaries.
£4.04m Julian Nagelsmann (Germany)
£3.37m Roberto Martinez (Portugal)
£3.20m Didier Deschamps (France)
£2.53m Louis van Gaal (Netherlands)
£2.53m Luciano Spalletti (Italy)

With the possible exception of Martinez, I'd take any of the other 4 in a heartbeat over Southgate.
The English FA can do much better with their money.

No armchair England fan here. I was in Munich for the 1-5 after seeing the Albion lose at Northampton the night before, went to Japan for the WC2002 and have seen plenty of friendlies and qualifiers at home and abroad.

I do agree that he is vastly overpaid for a seemingly part time job, his salary seems to have over doubled since he started.

I suspect that it would take a fair chunk to get any big name interesting in taking over from Southgate and possibly more if it isn't an Englishman. He's expected to step down after the Euros so I suspect we will know soon enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? Serbia's xG was 0.08. They never really looked like scoring, for all their possession.
. This was kind of my point. They were woeful in the last third but as I mentioned in my posts, one lucky move or an England error could have seen them score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here