Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros 2024 - Matchday 3

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not a convincing performance, and some pretty ordinary performances. But the 1-0 win is in the book, so on we go.
In my opinion we are not the overall winners, though.
I agree. But 100% could be if we had a top level coach.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm going to head up to Trafalgar Square now, just to make sure I get a good spot for the trophy parade.

Bloody typical. We're going to have our noses rubbed in it by the French.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree. But 100% could be if we had a top level coach.
As proven by our performances with the golden generation under Eriksen and then Capello.

Not to mention our tournament wins under Robson, Venebles and Hoddle.

A top coach makes all the difference.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Deffo need to give head a wobble there pal

Some posters wow . Reflects society .instant gratification required . Unless it’s blowing my mind I will squeal like a bitch . Let’s face it , anything less than a 3-0 England and blistering football and same lot come out woodwork

We’ve opened with a win . Move on
But with a top class manager we could be so much better. I don't want instant gratification, I'm 55 in a couple of weeks, I just want to see England win a trophy and we won't with Southgate in charge.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't help but wonder if it is time to shelve the criticism of Southgate for a few weeks and actually try and get behind the team.

One thing I have noted with interest since moving to Australia is how the country gets behind their sports teams when tournaments or big games/events happen. The press, the fans and everyone else generally puts aside their criticisms and supports during tournaments. The dissecting, attacking and scapegoating usually waits until post competition.

Stark contrast to the UK. And already commented on on the Australian coverage with the host laughingly suggesting to Michael Bridges that the reactions are like England lost. The Serbian fella looked genuinely bemused.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ben White is weird. I'm not reading anything into that. Foden was ok at the beginning but looked ragged after half time.

Not sure that's fair about them not busting a gut as they all look happy, and we were finalists last time and have consistently performed better than usual. You think of Capello in 2010 or the Iceland debacle under Hodgson, or SGE's constant failure to get us beyond the quarters despite being paid silly money. Southgate's record sort of stands up. It's just that his in-game management is league one standard.
A good man manager would be able to getthe best out of Ben White

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
As proven by our performances with the golden generation under Eriksen and then Capello.

Not to mention our tournament wins under Robson, Venebles and Hoddle.

A top coach makes all the difference.
Eriksen was NOT a top level coach, he was a fraud. Capello was but didn’t give a shit.

The best football I’ve seen England play was under Venables. We should have won it in 96, but a centre back missed a penalty……..

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Eriksen was NOT a top level coach, he was a fraud. Capello was but didn’t give a shit.

The best football I’ve seen England play was under Venables. We should have won it in 96, but a centre back missed a penalty……..
I'm dreaming for a moment. What would have been better at Wembley against Germany in '96? Gascoigne meeting that cross into the 6 yard box and tapping home the golden goal winner, or Seaman saving the 5th German penalty from Kuntz in the shoot out? I think it's the latter.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I can't help but wonder if it is time to shelve the criticism of Southgate for a few weeks and actually try and get behind the team.

One thing I have noted with interest since moving to Australia is how the country gets behind their sports teams when tournaments or big games/events happen. The press, the fans and everyone else generally puts aside their criticisms and supports during tournaments. The dissecting, attacking and scapegoating usually waits until post competition.
In hindsight, I'm sure a few rugby-loving Aussies would've preferred earlier criticism of Eddie Jones before last year's RWC debacle.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...orld-cup-performance-panel-review-eddie-jones

IMHO it's quite fair to fully support a national team in tournaments whilst being free to criticize the head coach or manager during them.

And it could be argued that it's more patriotic without any unnecessary kid gloves.

England in. Southgate out. He should've gone after Qatar.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

He actually played very well that tournament.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Has anyone ever sacked a manager mid tournament? This is a f***ing joke of a performance. Exactly the same as the Euro 2020 final, just let them dominate and hope we don't score. Southgate is a f***ing cretin.
Didn't Spain do that when Lopetegui was announced as Madrid manager?

Not sure it did them any good.
Ivory Coast just five months ago anyone?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Stark contrast to the UK. And already commented on on the Australian coverage with the host laughingly suggesting to Michael Bridges that the reactions are like England lost. The Serbian fella looked genuinely bemused.
Sorry mate, a **** is a ****.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
The hard reality we have never knocked a big team out on foreign soil.

We’re the Newcastle United of International football.
I’d say more like Tottenham. Good players but no bottle and never win anything

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Wow that first game was frightening.

Frightening to see how Southgate has had a talented group of players for a few weeks and taken them down a completely useless path to mediocrity.

It really isn't difficult with these players. Play Mainoo in CDM instead on AA in midfield.

Get Foden to play left wing, if he can't do it bring in Gordon. (We should have Grealish or Rashford in the squad to laly that position).

I cannot believe he's had a few weeks with these players and decided that he's not going to play out from the back when pressed and still win this tournament. Is his game plan really when pressed pump the ball from Pickford to Kane!! He is a complete imbecile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here