Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Erik Midtgarden

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
As long as they are giving 100% for the club week in week out and the team is playing good football, who gives a f*** where they come from!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
My strong desire for seeing english players is as partly driven my my disgust at what the number of foreign players in the Premiership has done to our national team's fortunes. It would be very wrong to start wanting loads of foreigners in a League 1 Club.

Sorry, "Racist footballing campaign"? How on earth can my comment be construed as racist? You are obviously not aware that a lot of ENGLISH players are actually not white? Are you suggesting it is racist to like Bobby Zamora?

If you want to know what racist is you should have been around in the 70s! I can remember Brighton fans pulling one another away from a fight with Mansfield supporters in the south west terrace at the Goldstone, because they all wanted to "split the ******'s lips", now that is racist!

Wanting "English players" (with no reference to colour or cread) to be the backbone of the Club, with a limited number of foreigners as well (of any colour or cread) has nothing what so ever to to with being racist you mug!

Ummm.. Racism doesn't just denote colour of skin.. It can be applied to nationality too, as far as I'm aware..

And perhaps the problem with the English team is that English players are not good enough- ironically the reason that we may be looking abroad? It's not even as if our team is as bad as Arsenal! And there is a limit on foreigners allowed in a squad/team too.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
My strong desire for seeing english players is as partly driven my my disgust at what the number of foreign players in the Premiership has done to our national team's fortunes. It would be very wrong to start wanting loads of foreigners in a League 1 Club.

Sorry, "Racist footballing campaign"? How on earth can my comment be construed as racist? You are obviously not aware that a lot of ENGLISH players are actually not white? Are you suggesting it is racist to like Bobby Zamora?

If you want to know what racist is you should have been around in the 70s! I can remember Brighton fans pulling one another away from a fight with Mansfield supporters in the south west terrace at the Goldstone, because they all wanted to "split the ******'s lips", now that is racist!

Wanting "English players" (with no reference to colour or cread) to be the backbone of the Club, with a limited number of foreigners as well (of any colour or cread) has nothing what so ever to to with being racist you mug!

Spot on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

no it is xenophobic :down:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The only conceivable fault of foreign players on our national game is that the bastards are better than us.

We haven't won anything in 44 years and the barren years of '66 to '96 was certainly not down to an influx of foreign players - they were a distinct minority.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Greer (UK)
Sparrow, Dicker (UK)
Murray, Barnes

Pretty good spine. 2 biggest signings of the summer so far for us too.

This Norwegian is on trial. That means he'll probably be free if he makes the mark. We're not made of money. Also if there were available free english players they'd probably get the nod ahead of him but they seem to be scarce.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The only conceivable fault of foreign players on our national game is that the bastards are better than us.

We haven't won anything in 44 years and the barren years of '66 to '96 was certainly not down to an influx of foreign players - they were a distinct minority.

The excuse given for the need to set up the Premiership was to attract foreign players to play in our top league, and give our players the chance to play along side them to gain experience. Now the Premiership is full of the fuckers (and mostly on high wages!) and there are very few English players for the national team to even choose from.

It makes me sick to hear these fans of Manure and Liverpool (mind you, both clubs had big irish catholic support originally) saying that their Club is more important than England doing well.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
The excuse given for the need to set up the Premiership was to attract foreign players to play in our top league

Well that's a load of rubbish isn't it! It was to increase TV revenue and give the top clubs control over their commercial rights!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
And anyway if our youngsters are not getting a chance here, why don't they do something about it?
Like move and play abroad?
Young players from other countries do it, why don't ours.
Foreign players in our leagues is, quite frankly, a stupid excuse as to why English football is not as good as we would like it to be.

How can you even suggest that? With the big club's academies now filling up with youngsters from all around the world, and the Premiership being full of foreigners, exactly where are England's players going to come from in the future?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
An additional point is that most English football supporters will predominately be following the EPL rather than a foreign league, and obviously it's good to see how the English players are getting on etc. If they were playing in foreign leagues we wouldn't really know that much about them, except for those who have a keen interest in foreign football. I had a massive interest in Real Madrid when they had Beckham, Owen and Woodgate in their team though. But I have no idea how Jermain Pennant is getting on, for example, and the only way I could judge Hardgreaves before he came to the EPL was through his England appearances. I'd much rather watch Aston Villa play over Arsenal because I want the English players to do well for the good of the national team, and I have far more interest in English players and find it more enjoyable watching them rather than foreign players. I'm one of the most anti-racist people you'll ever meet, and I don't think that's racist at all. I do like how the English leagues has brought a lot of African players out of poverty though, who then send lot's of money home to help their families, friends and communities.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How can you even suggest that? With the big club's academies now filling up with youngsters from all around the world, and the Premiership being full of foreigners, exactly where are England's players going to come from in the future?
Spot on and if people can't realise that then whats the point.Looking at the players england have coming through it doesn't look good for the future.:nono:

Far to many foreigners end of:smile:

May 12, 2010
kick%20racism%20out%20of%20this%20world%20logo%20200.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here