Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Erik Midtgarden

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If they do the business I really don't give a monkeys where they come from. Fingers crossed this lad earns a contract because if he does he will have shown himself to be good enough. Naturally left footed so may bring a new dimension

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
More often? Which implies they haven't. Look at the names bandied about on here for the good English strikers. Kevin Phillips? Having a laugh. One I thought we might actually possibly get was Simeone Jackson- and he went to Norwich, who are a good couple of levels of attractiveness above us. Le Fondre and Pittman are two being mentioned now, and to be honest I think they will be A) overpriced and B) probably reluctant to leave.

There is not a huge range of choice of "proven English strikers" and certainly not a glut of money to bring one in, as many on here still don't seem to realise.

Okay i understand your point. Even if it is someone British im sure there is a few.

For example

Jermaine Easter - Mk Dons - 300k maybe.

I think he would jump at a chance to leave them for us.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Some people just need to accept that we will not find a "proven English 20-25" goal striker. Those players won't play in League One, and they certainly won't be affordable. This means that really we need to unearth a player- such as a Beckford or a Austin. Now we could go for an English striker but A) they may not fit so well into our new style of play, passing and moving and B) we already have two quite typical and in my opinion quite GOOD strikers in Murray and Barnes.

So again, what is wrong with looking at foreign strikers brought up in a style of playing continental football in an attempt to unearth a quality player?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Okay i understand your point. Even if it is someone British im sure there is a few.

For example

Jermaine Easter - Mk Dons - 300k maybe.

I think he would jump at a chance to leave them for us.

He's 28 and he's had one season where he came relatively close to a two in one ratio. Apart from that, he's scored 1 in 3 for wycome in two seasons in League Two.

I wasn't aware this was the calibre of player we should be looking for and shelling out 300k for..

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
He's 28 and he's had one season where he came relatively close to a two in one ratio. Apart from that, he's scored 1 in 3 for wycome in two seasons in League Two.

I wasn't aware this was the calibre of player we should be looking for and shelling out 300k for..

14 goals in 36 games in League One.

I'd take that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How does second tier norsk football compare with our league? Championship standard, L1, L2......10 in 30 isn't bad if the level he's at is equivalent or better.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You don't know Deigo McForien??? :laugh:

That is exactly my point though. I think everyone here would like English players, but you get better quality players for your money from abroad.

Yes, but if I wanted to see a team full of foreigners I would go and watch a Premiership team. But I don't. Happy to have a few, but I want to see mainly english players in the stripes - even if/when we get to the Premiership.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
By the way 10 in 30 was based on the assumption that he played every league game this year he might not have done so his ratio might be slightly better but I couldn't be bothered to check. Oh and ten goals was enough to make him 7th highest goalscorer in that league.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Can someone report Gav1901? His racism is making me feel very uncomfortable :nono:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So you would like us to spunk cash about just to sign English players instead of paying less and getting a team just as good at a fraction of the price??

Madness!

No not madness at all. I want to support my local team (well to where I was born and grew up), in an ideal worls it would contain a lot of local lads. Unfortunately, there are not many any good at football, so English players are the next best thing. "Guest" foreign players like FDM and others over the years are great, but Brighton becoming another Arsenal would be my worst nightmare!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
No not madness at all. I want to support my local team (well to where I was born and grew up), in an ideal worls it would contain a lot of local lads. Unfortunately, there are not many any good at football, so English players are the next best thing. "Guest" foreign players like FDM and others over the years are great, but Brighton becoming another Arsenal would be my worst nightmare!

Brighton is one of the most culturally diverse places in England, and the football team is now reflecting this with 10 different nationalites being represented :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here