Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England game behind closed doors?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
I'm going down the pub to watch the game. Bit easier.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The FA can confirm that England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra will kick-off at 8.15pm on Wednesday night as planned.

Chief Executive Ian Watmore said: “Ever since we were alerted to the planned industrial action, we have been working very hard to ensure that the match goes ahead and that as many supporters as possible can see the game. We can confirm that the game will not be played behind closed doors and every ticket purchased remains valid. The turnstiles will now open earlier at 5.45pm to ease the disruption.

“ However, due to the planned industrial action, travelling to and from the game is going to be very difficult and we are disappointed that England supporters are being inconvenienced in this way.

“ We recommend that supporters plan to travel to Wembley as early as possible and prepare for a disrupted journey. We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening and trains will not be stopping at Wembley overground station. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport.

“As a special measure, refunds will be made available to ticketholders who decide not to attend this game because of the tube strike.”

Additionally, englandfans+ members who have purchased tickets will receive their caps as normal after the match. Details of the procedure for applying for refunds will be posted on TheFA.com in the days following the game. Please continue to visit TheFA.com and Transport for London’s tfl.gov.uk for regular updates.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Marvellous.

So they've gone for the option that has the crowd arriving two hours after kick-off. That'll save them a fortune on refunds.

You cynic! Refunds are available to those who decide not to go. I think you owe the FA an apology.

Doesn't look like they're going with my coach idea though. :-(

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am not sure what to do now. Latest news appears to be NO public transport will be going to Wembley on safety grounds, so just how the **** are you supposed to get to the place?

I was planning walking from Victoria to Euston then getting the mainline train to Wembley Central, but that service will not stop at Wembley Central!

This is madness.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Every taxi driver, will be out in force tomorrow, even the ones with no licences or grasp of the English language will come out to play and take money.

The lack of trains at Wembley overland station is a bit of a joke. No additional transport being laid on will be a nightmare, especially with buses not turning up and then 3 turn up at the same time after an hours wait.

Luckily I didnt bother getting a ticket, as I would have not bothered to go as it is live on terrestrial Tv too

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am not sure what to do now. Latest news appears to be NO public transport will be going to Wembley on safety grounds, so just how the **** are you supposed to get to the place?

I was planning walking from Victoria to Euston then getting the mainline train to Wembley Central, but that service will not stop at Wembley Central!

This is madness.

Sounds quite sensible (unfortunately) under the circumstances.

The trains will be packed anyway so they've obviously had to deter people from using to get to Wembley.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Chief Executive Ian Watmore said: “Ever since we were alerted to the planned industrial action, we have been WORKING VERY HARD to ensure that the match goes ahead and that as many supporters as possible can see the game. We can confirm that the game will not be played behind closed doors and every ticket purchased remains valid. The turnstiles will now open earlier at 5.45pm to ease the disruption.

So "working very hard" equated to opening the turnstiles half an hour early, and confirming that unused tickets will be refunded. Woop de-do. Well done the FA - pulling out all the stops, as usual.

(not that there's much they could have done, but I think the "working very hard" remark is overstating things a touch).

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So going to the game from Brighton would invovle a train to Victoria, a walk to Euston and the number 18 bus to Wembley from there.

The 8.15 kick off would make it tough to get back to Victoria for the 12.05, meaning no train until 1.00am that doesnt arrive in Brighton until 02.55am after a stop at Three Bridges

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Talks are still going on, but I understand the sticking point is the FA including at least 5 Millwall players in the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why don't they open the doors 4 hours earlier and put on some form of entertainment to give people a bit of an incentive to get there earlier and spread the crush, i.e. a friendly football match of celebs?

The cost of this will be amply covered by increased refreshments / merchandise sales.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why don't they open the doors 4 hours earlier and put on some form of entertainment to give people a bit of an incentive to get there earlier and spread the crush, i.e. a friendly football match of celebs?

The cost of this will be amply covered by increased refreshments / merchandise sales.

I think the major issue is after the game with everyone leaving at the same time. The FA have already made the very sensible decision to open the doors early and should be commended for that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'd imagine they are more worried about getting people out afterwards.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The official FA statement has changed!

It was

"We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening and trains will not be stopping at Wembley overground station. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport."

to

“ We recommend that supporters plan to travel to Wembley as early as possible and prepare for a disrupted journey. We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport.

Chiltern trains have said that the Wembley mainline stop they use will be open but to check back tomorrow in case that changes!

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The FA can confirm that England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra will kick-off at 8.15pm on Wednesday night as planned.

Chief Executive Ian Watmore said: “Ever since we were alerted to the planned industrial action, we have been working very hard to ensure that the match goes ahead and that as many supporters as possible can see the game. We can confirm that the game will not be played behind closed doors and every ticket purchased remains valid. The turnstiles will now open earlier at 5.45pm to ease the disruption.

“ However, due to the planned industrial action, travelling to and from the game is going to be very difficult and we are disappointed that England supporters are being inconvenienced in this way.

“ We recommend that supporters plan to travel to Wembley as early as possible and prepare for a disrupted journey. We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening and trains will not be stopping at Wembley overground station. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport.

“As a special measure, refunds will be made available to ticketholders who decide not to attend this game because of the tube strike.”

Additionally, englandfans+ members who have purchased tickets will receive their caps as normal after the match. Details of the procedure for applying for refunds will be posted on TheFA.com in the days following the game. Please continue to visit TheFA.com and Transport for London’s tfl.gov.uk for regular updates.

Where did you get his from? The stament on the FA site doesn't mention anything about Wembley overground stations being closed? Here is the statement from the official site:

Further statement regarding Wednesday's game at Wembley.

“However, due to the planned industrial action, travelling to and from the game is going to be very difficult and we are disappointed that England supporters are being inconvenienced in this way.

“We recommend that supporters plan to travel to Wembley as early as possible and prepare for a disrupted journey. We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport.

Details of the procedure for applying for refunds will be posted on TheFA.com in the days following the game. Please continue to visit TheFA.com and Transport for London’s tfl.gov.uk for regular updates.

National Express run dedicated coach services to every single England home game operating from 57 major towns and cities across the country dropping supporters right at the doors of Wembley Stadium. To book your travel for the Andorra game please click here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here