Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England game behind closed doors?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd imagine they are more worried about getting people out afterwards.

They should just pay The Saturdays to do a 20 minute set after the match dressed in nothing but bikinis. I'd stay on for that...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where did you get his from? The stament on the FA site doesn't mention anything about Wembley overground stations being closed? Here is the statement from the official site:

Further statement regarding Wednesday's game at Wembley.

The FA can confirm that England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra will kick-off at 8.15pm on Wednesday night as planned.

Chief Executive Ian Watmore said: “Ever since we were alerted to the planned industrial action, we have been working very hard to ensure that the match goes ahead and that as many supporters as possible can see the game. We can confirm that the game will not be played behind closed doors and every ticket purchased remains valid. The turnstiles will now open earlier at 5.45pm to ease the disruption.

“However, due to the planned industrial action, travelling to and from the game is going to be very difficult and we are disappointed that England supporters are being inconvenienced in this way.

“We recommend that supporters plan to travel to Wembley as early as possible and prepare for a disrupted journey. We are advised that no additional transport will be available on the evening. The journey home will be particularly difficult and supporters should make their own arrangements and not rely on public transport.

“As a special measure, refunds will be made available to ticketholders who decide not to attend this game because of the tube strike.”

Details of the procedure for applying for refunds will be posted on TheFA.com in the days following the game. Please continue to visit TheFA.com and Transport for London’s tfl.gov.uk for regular updates.

National Express run dedicated coach services to every single England home game operating from 57 major towns and cities across the country dropping supporters right at the doors of Wembley Stadium. To book your travel for the Andorra game please click here.

Statement on the EF+ site...

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I am not sure what to do now. Latest news appears to be NO public transport will be going to Wembley on safety grounds, so just how the **** are you supposed to get to the place?

I was planning walking from Victoria to Euston then getting the mainline train to Wembley Central, but that service will not stop at Wembley Central!

This is madness.

Get off at Stoneham Park or North Wembley (assuming they are still stopping there) and walk. Not much further judging by the map

wembley - Google Maps

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Cheers - will probably try that if I decide to go. I wonder what the crowd will be? I can see it being about 35,000 out of the 70,000 tickets sold.

I reckon you could be right. Offering refunds to those who want it is the right thing to do IMO. Shame Wembley will not be full.

I don't know where you are travelling from, but National Express run a coach from Brighton leaving at 3:15 tomorrow, so if you have an understanding boss that could also be an option.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is also the option of getting a bus to Willesden Junction then catching a train down to Clapham Junction, from where you can pick up a train to Brighton.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Would it be too late to set up a cablecar system running from all the major railway stations over to Wembley ? As Uter might say, yes it would be difficult, but would it be impossible ? Maybe something like this...

cablecar2_470x350.jpg

If each compartment could hold, say, 15 fans, then we could proably get away with running about 1,000 of them on a constant loop from the stations to the stadium, high above the streets of London. No congestion issues, nice views. Slower than the tube obviously, but I'm sure people wouldn't mind allowing a bit longer for their journey if they know part of it will be spent dangling over the capital in a small metal box. And you only need a bloke at one end pressing "stop" and "go" to move the cars and stop them to allow people to board/disembark.

I'm really struggling to find a downside with this.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Would it be too late to set up a cablecar system running from all the major railway stations over to Wembley ? As Uter might say, yes it would be difficult, but would it be impossible ? Maybe something like this...

cablecar2_470x350.jpg

If each compartment could hold, say, 15 fans, then we could proably get away with running about 1,000 of them on a constant loop from the stations to the stadium, high above the streets of London. No congestion issues, nice views. Slower than the tube obviously, but I'm sure people wouldn't mind allowing a bit longer for their journey if they know part of it will be spent dangling over the capital in a small metal box. And you only need a bloke at one end pressing "stop" and "go" to move the cars and stop them to allow people to board/disembark.

Mr 10, do you have some strange obsession with cable cars? I seem to remember you going on about a ski lift from Brighton station to the seafront not too long ago...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mr 10, do you have some strange obsession with cable cars? I seem to remember you going on about a ski lift from Brighton station to the seafront not too long ago...

As it happens, I have long held a firm belief that the cablecar / ski lift is a CRIMINALLY underused mode of transport within an urban context.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I reckon you could be right. Offering refunds to those who want it is the right thing to do IMO. Shame Wembley will not be full.

I don't know where you are travelling from, but National Express run a coach from Brighton leaving at 3:15 tomorrow, so if you have an understanding boss that could also be an option.

Ahh didnt think of the coach option. I cant make the 3.15 but have just checked and can book the way home for £22 leaving Wembey at 22.30!

£22 fare is single or return. MMmm cant decide what to do now. Might just save the cash and watch it in the pub!!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

cablecar2_470x350.jpg

It took a while to get you to see the light, but at long last common sense has prevailed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

cablecar2_470x350.jpg

What if the man pushing the button goes on strike ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It took a while to get you to see the light, but at long last common sense has prevailed.

You're right. No problem is insurmountable - it just needs a bit of "thinking outside the box" dunnit.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Not sure if this helps anyone but I have just phoned national rail enq and they have told me that ALL overground trains on that line will be stopping at wembly central station. Just gonna stick to what i was gonna do anyway but leave a bit earlier.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure if this helps anyone but I have just phoned national rail enq and they have told me that ALL overground trains on that line will be stopping at wembly central station. Just gonna stick to what i was gonna do anyway but leave a bit earlier.

Important announcement for Wembley passengers - Latest News - Chiltern Railways - Cheap train tickets & check train times for travel to Birmingham, London, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Warwick Parkway and Stratford upon Avon.

Obviously this has not got through to Bangalore yet...!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have managed to get a car space near the stadium. Should be fine going but will not enjoy the gridlock after the game.

I'm sure they can deal with it. I went to a gig at the o2 when there was no public transport at all bar buses and a crowd of 23,000. They dealt with it very well.

I appreciate there is a bigger crowd at Wembley but then there are also buses and overland trains.

I think this thread is nonsense.

Not quite a many alternative ways of getting back to central London from Wembley as there are from Greenwich
:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here