Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England game behind closed doors?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What time are you planning on arriving then Giraffe?

I think it is called "Half Time" :lol:

Work allowing (and this is dependant on all of us getting away) we should be leaving at 2pm, so hopefully we have left enough time for the complete meltdown.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would it be too late to set up a cablecar system running from all the major railway stations over to Wembley ? As Uter might say, yes it would be difficult, but would it be impossible ? Maybe something like this...

If each compartment could hold, say, 15 fans, then we could proably get away with running about 1,000 of them on a constant loop from the stations to the stadium, high above the streets of London. No congestion issues, nice views. Slower than the tube obviously, but I'm sure people wouldn't mind allowing a bit longer for their journey if they know part of it will be spent dangling over the capital in a small metal box. And you only need a bloke at one end pressing "stop" and "go" to move the cars and stop them to allow people to board/disembark.

I'm really struggling to find a downside with this.

I can see where you're going, but I believe the solution is in fact a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six car monorail. Wha'd I say?

monorail.gif

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
:nono:

Are people taking up the 'Full Refund' offer?

So you're a greater expert on crowd control than the Met Police?

In this case he is, if the Met do act. His post is spot on; people will cycle or walk from alternative stations and thousands will get there much earlier and others will delay their return. Let's not go back to the 1970s and early 80s when the nation was at the beck and call of the Unions.

TfL have released a statement concerning travel to Wembley Stadium.

England v Andorra
2010 FIFA World Cup Group 6 Qualifier
Wembley Stadium
8.15pm, Wednesday 10 June 2009
Live on ITV1

Transport for London (TfL) is doing everything possible to help get fans to the England vs Andorra World Cup qualifying game at Wembley Stadium this evening. However, those travelling to the match should check before they travel, plan their journey and allow much more time for their journey, both to and from the venue.

A TfL spokesperson said: "We are doing all we can to keep trains running on the Jubilee and Metropolitan Tube lines through Wembley Park station, but services will be reduced. London Overground trains will be running a limited service which will serve the nearby Wembley Central Station.

"Journeys today will be difficult, so if supporters can travel to Wembley without relying on public transport as their sole means of travel, they should consider that option, including walking for at least part of the journey. Londoners and fans travelling to the game should check before they travel on the TfL website, www.tfl.gov.uk."

Fans should note the following points:

The turnstiles will now open earlier at 5.45pm to ease the disruption and the game will kick off at 8.15pm as planned
The match will not be held behind "closed doors" and every ticket purchased for it remains valid. Refunds will be made available to ticketholders who decide not to attend this game*
Supporters should travel as early as possible and have alternative routes planned in case of disruption
Check our Live Travel News information and Journey Planner on Home Transport for London for the latest information
When planning journeys to Wembley, Journey Planner on Home Transport for London can direct you to your entry gate. All you need to do is type "Wembley" as your destination then select "Point of Interest" from the drop down box, press enter, then scroll down and select your Gate from the list. This will then show the best travel option and walking route
There will also be serious road congestion before and after the match. We understand that there will be no additional parking facilities at or around the stadium area. Drivers are advised to avoid the area if at all possible from late afternoon
Bus services are likely to be delayed due to road congestion. Check Journey Planner for local bus services.
Brent Council confirms that the normal Wembley Stadium event day parking restrictions apply. Visitors without pre-paid parking should not expect to park within a two mile radius of the stadium.

*Details of the procedure for applying for refunds will be posted on TheFA.com in the days following the game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Basically you have to be in central London NOW or you wont get there in time.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lads, lads, it's ANDORRA. This is not the World Cup final against Brazil. Just give it a miss.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How come Twickenham can cope with c.80,000 crowds when they have no tube station? Maybe the match should be switched to there!

It doesn't. When they staged a rugby game on Boxing Day last year (ie no trains), the capacity was cut to about 45-50,000 for that reason.

No overground trains stopping at Wembley Centra AT ALL

England v Andorra - Wembley Stadium, Wednesday 10 June
An England international football match is taking place at Wembley on Wednesday night. There are no National Rail services to stations serving Wembley either before or after the game.

Customers are advised to make alternative travel arrangements:

By London buses to the stadium (Bus 18, 83, 92, 182 or 224),
By coach (National Express Coach // Home)
Chiltern Railway services will not be calling at Wembley Stadium station after approximately 12:00 on Wednesday 10 June. There will also be no trains available after the game.
London Overground and Southern services will not be calling at Wembley Central, North Wembley or Stonebridge Park stations after approximately 18:00 on Wednesday 10 June. There will also be no trains available after the game.
Further information about the travel arrangements to the stadium is available from the Wembley website.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I just heard on Talksport that two train companies (one Chiltern?) had cancelled evening trains in the area because demand would be too great, leading to extra demand on the buses. How bizarre is that?

All about safety I would imagine.

Without some real organisation (involving the police) Clapham Junction this morning could have got very nasty and dangerous.

I was lucky (only waited an hour and half to get on a train) but I understand parts of the station had to be closed about 9 o'clock.

Very rare these days you experience crowds packed in like that, but at times it reminded me of a surge in a pack Goldstone. :)

When you get loads of people crowding onto railway platforms, (with many fast trains running straight through) it really isn't worth the risk.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Made it, in the end. Got the half 4(ish) train from Brighton (FCC Bedford train). Got past Croydon, and they then decided to announce that the train wouldn't stop at London Bridge. So we had to get off at London Blackfriars, and wait for the train back to London Bridge for about 15-20, so not to bad.

Thankfully the Jubilee line was running, and the 'Information Lady' said she was "80% sure, that the tubes would be running until midnight". Good times.

On the way back, we got the tube from Wembley Park, but the tubes were terminating at f***ing Waterloo. So we had to get off at Waterloo, train to London Bridge, then train to Brighton. Made the 2315 by about 4-5 minutes. :love:

Good night. But I wont be rushing back to another England night game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Made it, in the end. Got the half 4(ish) train from Brighton (FCC Bedford train). Got past Croydon, and they then decided to announce that the train wouldn't stop at London Bridge. So we had to get off at London Blackfriars, and wait for the train back to London Bridge for about 15-20, so not to bad.

Thankfully the Jubilee line was running, and the 'Information Lady' said she was "80% sure, that the tubes would be running until midnight". Good times.

On the way back, we got the tube from Wembley Park, but the tubes were terminating at f***ing Waterloo. So we had to get off at Waterloo, train to London Bridge, then train to Brighton. Made the 2315 by about 4-5 minutes. :love:

Good night. But I wont be rushing back to another England night game.

That was a SUPERB effort. Well played :clap:
Did you stay till the end of the game ? Cos to make the 23.15 was some feat.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Erm, nope. We left on about 84 minutes. But yeah, as you say, I'm well happy about getting that train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here