Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England game behind closed doors?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
What's it like in your warm fluffy world?

Where the logistics of moving thousands of people through arguably the busiest city in the world can be sorted out at the drop of a hat.

Where did I say this would be easy? What is your point? It would be difficult, so let's not bother?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it is played and there is a tube strike, then it will be carnage. The overland trains are small and run less frequently. The traffic caused by an army of extra buses will be huge, and the worst bit about it is, it is 20.15 kick off, meaning it will be a night mare getting home

I'm sure they can deal with it. I went to a gig at the o2 when there was no public transport at all bar buses and a crowd of 23,000. They dealt with it very well.

I appreciate there is a bigger crowd at Wembley but then there are also buses and overland trains.

I think this thread is nonsense.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Where did I say this would be easy? What is your point? It would be difficult, so let's not bother?

My point is that, because of the numbers involved, it would be nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to arrange alternative transport for that number of people in such a short space of time.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
My point is that, because of the numbers involved, it would be nigh on IMPOSSIBLE to arrange alternative transport for that number of people in such a short space of time.

Well, respectfully, I disagree. Difficult yes, impossible, no. Particularly since they have had time to plan for this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The point is, there is probably 30minutes-1 hour before the game ending & the last train for many people, it would be a rush for most people, near impossible now!

The fact that wembley central is served by london overground and limited london midland services and wembley served by chiltern rail would mean that the overground railway being busy but strengthining to six cars out of euston instead of 3 and extra stops by both london midland and chiltern would be done as matter of course .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This could be a nightmare. I have tickets for the game. Was already pissed off with the ridiculous kick off time and now this.

My gut feeling though is that the union will back down, as to do otherwise would certainly not help their cause.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, respectfully, I disagree. Difficult yes, impossible, no. Particularly since they have had time to plan for this.

Have you ever been to Wembley Stadium and come away after the game with 70,000 fans ? The VAST majority make a beeline for Wembley Park and Wembley Central tube stations. An overline rail network, at 10.30pm on a Wednesday, would not even come CLOSE to coping with these kind of numbers. And the additional cars and hundreds upon hundreds of coaches that you are proposing as the alternative, all parked around the surrounding area of the stadium, would be stuck there till next Friday.

Seriously - if you had tickets for tomorrow nights game, how would YOU go about getting there and back ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Sorry but have to disagree.. It would be absolutely impossible.
It doesn't matter how long they've had to plan it, there is no way it would be anything other than a complete logistical nightmare.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone is assuing that all fans with tickets would go of course. What they should do is tell people the game is on but that there is no tube and for people to make other arrangements especially for getting home. Don't close the doors on those who do want to attend.

Have you ever been to Wembley Stadium and come away after the game with 70,000 fans ? The VAST majority make a beeline for Wembley Park and Wembley Central tube stations. An overline rail network, at 10.30pm on a Wednesday, would not even come CLOSE to coping with these kind of numbers. And the additional cars and hundreds upon hundreds of coaches that you are proposing as the alternative, all parked around the surrounding area of the stadium, would be stuck there till next Friday.

Seriously - if you had tickets for tomorrow nights game, how would YOU go about getting there and back ?

In the past if it has got serious network rail can ask the operating companies to stop everything to clear crowds and arrange extra trains.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously I am only a 'layman' but would it not be possible to run extra overland trains from Wembley to either just Euston or even to the main terminals like Euston, for Kings Cross and St Pancras, Paddington, Victoria and Waterloo most other stations are within reasonable walking distance. Perhaps the network facility will not allow it but this could have been arranged a couple of weeks ago.

Or even stop every train going through Wembley. I must say that if you live in Hastings or Bexhill the chances are you will not geta train home after the game. My old area manager lived in Bexhill and when we went to England games, courtesy of Carlsberg, he had to leave 10 mins early to get a train home.

London is one of the worst places to get home from normally late in the evening. My brother cant go to an England game and get a train back to Feltham in Middlesex.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

OK fine.

I hope you enjoy your new role of Lord High Emperor Cuckoo, Overlord of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Ultimately, I am sure that ACAS will get involved and the proposed strike will be miraculously called off.

And it will STILL will be shit getting to and from Wembley

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Yes I have been to Wembley and I am fully aware of the long queues for public transport after the match. You are probably right in saying that the overland rail network would not cope if the tube stations were shut, which is why I think extra provision is needed in other areas.

If I had a ticket for tomorrow I would probably look into what buses go to or near to Wembley from Victoria, in the absense of any other alternative. I doubt I would drive. I'd also make sure I know the time of the last train back from Victoria.

Are you saying they should call the game off?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here