England game behind closed doors?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They suspended ticket sales last week as I've been trying to buy tickets!

How strange - they sent me an automated email on Sunday night advertising tickets - thats the FA for you, ruddy useless to the last.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Short notice. Vast expense. Huge numbers of fans. Traffic gridlock.
Sounds a breeze.

Short notice? They have known about this strike for a while now.

Vast expense? More than providing 70000 refunds? I doubt it.

Traffic gridlock: I think it would go some way to alleviating gridlock wouldn't it?

Of course it's not going to be easy, but it seems a sensible enough suggestion to me.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Not sure that 'a couple of dozen' would be enough

You have completely missed my point. I don't know how many exactly would be required, but I'm sure they could work it out.

The point is they could put into place an alternative method of transporting fans to the stadium.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Short notice? They have known about this strike for a while now.

Vast expense? More than providing 70000 refunds? I doubt it.

Traffic gridlock: I think it would go some way to alleviating gridlock wouldn't it?

Of course it's not going to be easy, but it seems a sensible enough suggestion to me.

As others have mentioned, I think you'd need a few more than a "couple of dozen" coaches to serve Wembley Stadium as a tube replacement. Hiring a vast fleet of coaches to ferry fans back and forth from the various stations then on to Wembley and back again would be a logistical nightmare - not quite sure how you've arrived at the conclusion that tens of thousands of fans who would have used the tube but instead have to use coaches would alleviate gridlock. ???

I'm just glad I'm not involved.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't really see how this can possibly be the FAs or The Police's fault

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
As others have mentioned, I think you'd need a few more than a "couple of dozen" coaches to serve Wembley Stadium as a tube replacement. Hiring a vast fleet of coaches to ferry fans back and forth from the various stations then on to Wembley and back again would be a logistical nightmare - not quite sure how you've arrived at the conclusion that tens of thousands of fans who would have used the tube but instead have to use coaches would alleviate gridlock. ???

I'm just glad I'm not involved.

50 people per coach from say 10 London stations = 12000 seats.

Maybe in the event of a tube strike lot's of people who would otherwise have taken the tube will instead drive leading to a lot more cars on the road than normal. If on the other hand they could take a coach then this will dissuade some of those people from driving. That is how arrived at my conclusion.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Hmmm... let's say 40,000 fans who would have used the Tube.

60 fans per coach = 666 coaches. No problem, eh?! :wozza:

If you lined them end to end, you're reach central London anyway.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wembley isn't that far to walk. Couple of hours from central london maybe. People need to stop being so f***ing lazy. Trains+buses+walking, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Man up I say.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I was pondering going to this game a few weeks back, but didn't get my arse into gear. Mightily glad I didn't now.

Exactly the same here. I would have been taking the boy as well, thinking it's late for a school night, but not teh end of the World. Without tubes though it would have just been impossibly late, and I'd be calling off the trip. That would have been a nightmare.

It's OK chaps, the FA have got themselves organised in their usual inimitable style!:-

TheFA.com - FA Statement

The FA
FA Statement
Tuesday, 09 June, 2009

A statement on the situation regarding Wednesday's game at Wembley.

With regard to the possibility of a Tube Strike, which potentially could begin on Tuesday evening and run until Thursday, The FA and Wembley are closely monitoring the situation and will convey any subsequent implications for England's World Cup qualifier against Andorra as soon as anything is confirmed by the authorities.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Hmmm... let's say 40,000 fans who would have used the Tube.

60 fans per coach = 666 coaches. No problem, eh?! :wozza:

If you lined them end to end, you're reach central London anyway.

You are making the assumption the every one of those fans who was going to take the tube would instead decide to take a coach. This would not be the case. Some would drive. Some would take the bus. Others would take the train. Some might decide to stay at home. Etc etc. If the FA publicised details of buses and overland trains this demand would be reduced further.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
50 people per coach from say 10 London stations = 12000 seats.

Maybe in the event of a tube strike lot's of people who would otherwise have taken the tube will instead drive leading to a lot more cars on the road than normal. If on the other hand they could take a coach then this will dissuade some of those people from driving. That is how arrived at my conclusion.

Assuming these coaches are doing 1 pickup and dropoff and not doubling back into town, then those 12,000 fans would need around 200 coaches. Driving in and around the stations in Central London during rush hour, and then on to Wembley. And I fear the would-be tube-users would number a great deal more than 12,000.

I just don't think you've fully thought this through.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are making the assumption the every one of those fans who was going to take the tube would instead decide to take a coach. This would not be the case. Some would drive. Some would take the bus. Others would take the train. Some might decide to stay at home. Etc etc. If the FA publicised details of buses and overland trains this demand would be reduced further.

Thank GOD you are not in-charge of anything remotely important!! ???

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

What's it like in your warm fluffy world?

Where the logistics of moving thousands of people through arguably the busiest city in the world can be sorted out at the drop of a hat.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Assuming these coaches are doing 1 pickup and dropoff and not doubling back into town, then those 12,000 fans would need around 200 coaches. Driving in and around the stations in Central London and then on to Wembley. And I fear the would-be tube-users would number a great deal more than 12,000.

I just don't think you've fully thought this through.

I'm sure the would be tube users would ordinarily number more than 12000, however don't forget the FA have held back 20000 tickets so the maximum attendance can only be 70000.

Just because x amount of fans would normally use the tube, it does not follow that x amount of fans would take the coach, particularly if transport alternatives were well publicised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here