Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Euro 2012 squad [Merged Threads]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Heskey was a part of ALL of the great England performances of the last 15 years, a very good servant to the national side, derided by people who "don't understand football" - Gus Poyet. Welbeck is a totally different type of player anyway, much closer to Defoe style than Heskey.

Young is 10 times the player Downing is. Downing has been statistically SHIT this season (no goals or assists from 36 games for an attacking winger is woeful), while Ashley Young has been really rather good.

All correct.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Heskey was a part of ALL of the great England performances of the last 15 years, a very good servant to the national side, derided by people who "don't understand football" - Gus Poyet. Welbeck is a totally different type of player anyway, much closer to Defoe style than Heskey.

Young is 10 times the player Downing is. Downing has been statistically SHIT this season (no goals or assists from 36 games for an attacking winger is woeful), while Ashley Young has been really rather good.

I was never too bothered by playing Heskey, because he got the most out of his strike partners. Until the last couple of years when he's not even offered that. To mention Welbeck and Defoe so closely together is a travesty of justice to Defoe, he doesn't deserve that. As for Ashley Young, the diving cheat shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad in my opinion. He is extremely overrated. If Adam Johnson played more games, he would be the obvious pick ahead of either of them.

I hate inverted wingers too. Playing a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left is just basically stupid in my opinion, especially if we're going to play with Andy Carroll up front. The reason he has done nothing for Liverpool is because they don't cross it into the box, because they're playing on the wrong side. Why that hasn't been pointed out to old King Kenny, I don't know. When Gerrard returned to Liverpool, he crossed it onto Carroll's head and he was a threat again. It's not complicated.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I hate inverted wingers too. Playing a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left is just basically stupid in my opinion, especially if we're going to play with Andy Carroll up front. The reason he has done nothing for Liverpool is because they don't cross it into the box, because they're playing on the wrong side. Why that hasn't been pointed out to old King Kenny, I don't know. When Gerrard returned to Liverpool, he crossed it onto Carroll's head and he was a threat again. It's not complicated.

Downing has made a large number of crosses this season.

Interesting Liverpool (and Carroll in particular) played so well against Chelsea in the league recently, when Gerrard wasn't involved.

Last edited:

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
But the thing is, Grant Holt has scored the same amount of Premier League goals as Andy Carrol has in one season, compared to Carrols two seasons, 15. Grant Holt also scored 21 goals last season in the Championship, Carrol got 17. On form Grant Holt should win it easily, but he won't, because Roy knows if he picks him and does any less than win the Golden Boot the press will crucify him for doing so. Shame.

Exactly. Just because Carroll cost £35mil and plays for liverpool, Roy is forced to take him (no he is NOT on form...). It is quite clear that this season holt (and even crouch) have been far better and therefore deserve a place.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was never too bothered by playing Heskey, because he got the most out of his strike partners. Until the last couple of years when he's not even offered that. To mention Welbeck and Defoe so closely together is a travesty of justice to Defoe, he doesn't deserve that. As for Ashley Young, the diving cheat shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad in my opinion. He is extremely overrated. If Adam Johnson played more games, he would be the obvious pick ahead of either of them.

If your argument against Young was due to the fact he's a diving cheat, I could understand that more. The basic facts show that he has been head and shoulders ahead of Downing this season. 11 assists and 6 goals to no assists and no goals. You can't argue with that.

Downing is TEDIOCRE.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Downing has made a large number of crosses this season.

Interesting Liverpool (and Carroll in particular) played so well against Chelsea in the league recently, when Gerrard wasn't involved.

Cutting in from the right for most of them, if you put in the leg work. I really don't understand the inverting of wingers. Unless you happen to be Alexis Sanchez and Lionel Messi, it doesn't generally get results. Downing is a decent left winger, almost pointless on the right wing.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Downing is a horrible footballer. Remmeber when his team beat us 6-1 and he still didn't look good?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hasn't Downing had the most shots on goal this season without scoring? It was him and Taarabt for that stat, then Taarabt actually scored.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If your argument against Young was due to the fact he's a diving cheat, I could understand that more. The basic facts show that he has been head and shoulders ahead of Downing this season. 11 assists and 6 goals to no assists and no goals. You can't argue with that.

Downing is TEDIOCRE.

He is a diving cheat, and it is a large part of why I don't like him. The fact he is very right footed and plays on the left is another part. I would argue that playing for a Man Utd team which picked up 89 points this season, even 11 assists and 6 goals isn't brilliant. I think he's a good footballer who doesn't produce as much as he should as often as he should, and the fact he's widely considered our best winger is extremely depressing to me. I know I'm in the minority, it doesn't bother me. I think he's overrated and I would pick Joe Cole ahead of him every day of the week.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Hasn't Downing had the most shots on goal this season without scoring? It was him and Taarabt for that stat, then Taarabt actually scored.

So most shots without scoring and most crosses without an assist.

We have established therefore that he can't cross or shoot very well so sounds perfect for England.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He is a diving cheat, and it is a large part of why I don't like him. The fact he is very right footed and plays on the left is another part. I would argue that playing for a Man Utd team which picked up 89 points this season, even 11 assists and 6 goals isn't brilliant. I think he's a good footballer who doesn't produce as much as he should as often as he should, and the fact he's widely considered our best winger is extremely depressing to me. I know I'm in the minority, it doesn't bother me. I think he's overrated and I would pick Joe Cole ahead of him every day of the week.

Joe Cole with 1 assist in 30 appearances for a side in the top 3 isn't too hot either

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I REALLY want Joe Cole to be selected.

Just not going to happen. Regardless of his form, I just don't see how Roy can have had the slightest look at him this season. That's the potential downside to late appointment.

Personally though, I doubt Joe has been delivering the performances or we'd have heard about him being linked back to the Premiership.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just not going to happen. Regardless of his form, I just don't see how Roy can have had the slightest look at him this season. That's the potential downside to late appointment.

Personally though, I doubt Joe has been delivering the performances or we'd have heard about him being linked back to the Premiership.

Linked back? Is he not still a Liverpool player?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I believe the stats were that he finished the season with 72 shots on goal (inc 1 penalty), without scoring, and put in 52 crosses, none of which created a chance sufficiently good enough for the likes of Suarez, Bellamy, Carroll or Kuyt to put away.

Pretty impressive.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Taking JT is a huge mistake. Then so was picking him in the first place and then making him captain. Never been good enough for England. Most overrated player in the history of football.

I actually think Caroll might do okay though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here