Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Emma in the final - official thread

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not really a tennis fan but watched the game last night. What an incredible sporting display. The courage from Radacanu to make some of those shots is what sport is all about. A request though; can both sides of the Brexit thread debate please piss off away from this thread and stop ruining the moment for everybody else ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Amazing to think of the ridicule Tim Henman got for being an almost man, however he inspired both Andy and Emma to win a major and it seems he has been on hand to help both if needed.

Emma has publicly thanked Tim for help at Wimbledon and after.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Albeit with the strongest sides they played en route being Arsenal and Shakhtar Donetsk. Emma being Nacional of Cyprus..

The reason why we should give equal praise to Fernandez is she knocked out Barcelona, Bayern, Athletico and Ajax, and she would only be Granada.

(i did the above on the current ten year European club rankings)

I think Emma will quickly establish herself in the top ten, but I do think Fernandez is, for now, the next big thing.

So it is quite incredible. I doubt there will be another tournament like this one. And it's good that folk recognise both player's achievements. Last night's tennis was awesome.

Not so sure about that.
Whatever happened on the run to the final, when they faced eachother Fernandez had to play above herself to keep up with Rad’s basic level. And that didn’t last.
Imo Rad showed herself to be the superior player atm.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It’s the same old posters, time and time again, so you think they are like this in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If they are it makes sense why they are apparently friendless and never leave their home spending every waking hour posting wanky tweets and YouTube videos...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
More shocking is that people on here, sports fans, don't like tennis, and had to push themselves to watch it. I can understand not watching F1 but tennis, seriously? What sort of people are you?!?
:eek:

I have been impressed this week that many women realised tennis isn’t only played at Wimbledon :whistle: :):):)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, I think [MENTION=40977]BluesRockDJ[/MENTION] should win a free subscription to The Express with that one.

I came to Sussex aged two and had no prior connection through birth. So it's a bit like me captaining Sussex CCC to the world club T20 and being told 'he's Surrey'.

A dumb comment.

Not commented on by JCFG. But the dweeb piled in, along with his gormless fanboy follower, when someone later criticised the asinine Farrage tweet. What gives?

Anyway, a great day :rave:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More shocking is that people on here, sports fans, don't like tennis, and had to push themselves to watch it. I can understand not watching cricket but tennis, seriously? What sort of people are you?!?

Exactly :wink:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
More shocking is that people on here, sports fans, don't like tennis, and had to push themselves to watch it. I can understand not watching F1 but tennis, seriously? What sort of people are you?!?

I don't like tennis and didn't watch it. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. Growing up I kicked a ball around with my mates , none of us ever thought about playing tennis, that was for the posh kids who lived near Hove Park. Nothings really changed, kids from less privileged backgrounds don't aspire to play tennis, it's still a predominantly middle class thing and a bit elitist. Enjoying the binfest about whether she's British or not though, that's amusing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't like tennis and didn't watch it. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. Growing up I kicked a ball around with my mates , none of us ever thought about playing tennis, that was for the posh kids who lived near Hove Park. Nothings really changed, kids from less privileged backgrounds don't aspire to play tennis, it's still a predominantly middle class thing and a bit elitist. Enjoying the binfest about whether she's British or not though, that's amusing.

There’s a lot of truth in that. I never played tennis when I was a kid. When we had kids we enrolled them at the local tennis club because we had become a bit, well, middle class. We were put off by the obnoxious characters running the place and the final straw was our daughter and friends and coach being told to move off their courts to allow some important people on. The lady used the immortal phrase ‘I’m the club captain, don’t you know.’ We left and never went back.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Can we please leave any point-scoring rubbish, from anyone on any side of anything, for other threads and just celebrate a brilliant sporting achievement here.

Thanks.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Let's not be too quick to demonise Fernandez. Remember she has just turned 19. I suppose I don't watch much tennis, but I find the on-court interviews quite weird, especially with the runner-up. I have sympathy with her getting frustrated with the time out, especially as she had just gotten a little momentum in that final game - she was hanging by a thread, and I I'm sure she felt that. She had an incredible tournament with a tougher route to the final in the tournament proper. It was an evenly matched first set, but I'm sure she couldn't believe what was happening to her in the second with an opponent who was playing out of her mind. Incredible. I hope they both have great careers.

All fair points and it’s impossible for us to walk a mile in an elite sportsperson’s shoes. I think you’re right that it’s very hard on the loser to have a microphone shoved in their face so soon after a defeat, when emotions are still raw. However, I don’t give Fernandez a free pass for complaining about the medical time out. Whether Fernandez had momentum and a break point or not, the fact was Raducanu had a blood injury on court. The time out was completely in line with the rules. Indeed, the umpire is obliged to stop play…

Section 3.f. of the International Tennis Federation's Grand Slam Rule Book.

Bleeding

If a player is bleeding, the Chair Umpire must stop play as soon as possible, and the Sports Physiotherapist must be called to the court by the Chair Umpire for evaluation and treatment.

Pressure or not, the basic rules of the sport were being applied so I feel Fernandez let herself down there.

In any event, it was a superb match and we hopefully have two new stars for the future.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There’s a lot of truth in that. I never played tennis when I was a kid. When we had kids we enrolled them at the local tennis club because we had become a bit, well, middle class. We were put off by the obnoxious characters running the place and the final straw was our daughter and friends and coach being told to move off their courts to allow some important people on. The lady used the immortal phrase ‘I’m the club captain, don’t you know.’ We left and never went back.

When I was growing up, the local Rec had 8 courts and the secondary school had several too. It was just a game you played in summer; all the local kids did. That doesn't seem to happen now and it does indeed appear to have taken itself a bit "David Lloyd". Probably why we're no good at it anymore. (excepting Emma of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here