Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Emma in the final - official thread

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I don’t like tennis. I am fairly sure that is the first tennis match I’ve watched near enough all the way through.
Impressive is an understatement!

Me too, I find it a tad dull. But that was very entertaining. I'll also admit that this time last week I'd never even heard of Emma Raducanu.

It was also refreshing not to hear any grunts and squawks from the players - is that not a thing anymore?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Me too, I find it a tad dull. But that was very entertaining. I'll also admit that this time last week I'd never even heard of Emma Raducanu.

It was also refreshing not to hear any grunts and squawks from the players - is that not a thing anymore?

It is still very much a thing. The "finest" exponent of it at the moment is Sabalenka. She often has to be told to shut up by the umpire.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Agree with all the comments about totally classless Americans, but the last thing Canadians would want is to be lumped in with the Yanks. And in my (fairly limited) experience they are far preferable for the most part.

Reminds me of spending time in Central America. From Mexixo to Honduras practically every Canadian backpacker had a Canadian Flag badge stitched to their bag packs to avoid confusion. A fair few Americans had Canadian flags sewed on too!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There was a woman in her entourage's section (where she went to celebrate with her coach, etc) who had a passing resemblance to her. Was it a family member? Just wondered if it would have been mentioned on the UK coverage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. That was sporting perfection.
2. Raducanu is nailed on for SPOTY.
3. Emma has already been fast-tracked to single name British Sporting Legend status - so up there with Lewis, Jonny, Jimmy and Jenson.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tennis is one of my pet hates to be honest, but tuned in because of the potential enormity of the achievement.

Incredible.

( glad it didn't last long )

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Leicester winning the Premier League

Emma Raducanu winning a Grand Slam as a qualifier without conceding a set.

Can't decide which is more incredible?

I’d go with Leicester simply as it was such a freak (as proven by them nearly going down the next year). Not to take anything away from Emma, but I don’t think it was a freak, rather a young talent announcing herself in an incredible way and unexpectedly quickly. There aren’t many Brits who dominate global sports as one of the truly elite like Federer/Nadal/Novak, Ronaldo/Messi, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt etc. Maybe Lewis Hamilton, but I can never get excited about F1. Really hope she can be one (and stay injury free).

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
There was a woman in her entourage's section (where she went to celebrate with her coach, etc) who had a passing resemblance to her. Was it a family member? Just wondered if it would have been mentioned on the UK coverage.

I think they said they were her agents.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Couldn’t quite believe that so I wound the interview back to watch it again. She did congratulate Emma but in the briefest, most perfunctory way I can ever remember seeing in a post championship match interview. Hardly bursting with good grace. That, coupled with her time out histrionics, suggest she’s not the classiest sportsperson on the circuit.

Let's not be too quick to demonise Fernandez. Remember she has just turned 19. I suppose I don't watch much tennis, but I find the on-court interviews quite weird, especially with the runner-up. I have sympathy with her getting frustrated with the time out, especially as she had just gotten a little momentum in that final game - she was hanging by a thread, and I I'm sure she felt that. She had an incredible tournament with a tougher route to the final in the tournament proper. It was an evenly matched first set, but I'm sure she couldn't believe what was happening to her in the second with an opponent who was playing out of her mind. Incredible. I hope they both have great careers.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can totally relate to this.

No different to the nights out we all had as 18 year olds.

To be honest I was doing much the same in Bexhill and Eastbourne when I was her age... :laugh:

4369.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That trump's Leicester. A qualifier wins a major, epic, epic sporting moment. Well done Emma

It’s different but for me it’s Leicester.
Leicester was achieved over a long period of time against ridiculous financial odds.
She may have been a qualifier but Raducanu went into this tournament already a world class player (don’t ask me how). It just wasn’t, and couldn’t have been, recognised in the rankings. She also caught her opponents by surprise, which Leicester couldn’t do over a full season.
Both are freak events.
But Leicester won’t happen again. There are too many factors against it.
A Raducanu success story might happen again. That’s taking nothing away from her fantastic achievement though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Amazing to think of the ridicule Tim Henman got for being an almost man, however he inspired both Andy and Emma to win a major and it seems he has been on hand to help both if needed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I believe they said none of her family were there due to travel restrictions into the US. I guess that is understandable for when she arrived as a qualifier but surprised they couldn’t find a way around it by the time she got to the 1/4 finals

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Let's not be too quick to demonise Fernandez. Remember she has just turned 19. I suppose I don't watch much tennis, but I find the on-court interviews quite weird, especially with the runner-up. I have sympathy with her getting frustrated with the time out, especially as she had just gotten a little momentum in that final game - she was hanging by a thread, and I I'm sure she felt that. She had an incredible tournament with a tougher route to the final in the tournament proper. It was an evenly matched first set, but I'm sure she couldn't believe what was happening to her in the second with an opponent who was playing out of her mind. Incredible. I hope they both have great careers.

Good post. It took both of them to make a great final that might have gone either way. She should be applauded for her part in it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Leicester pales into insignificance, this is like The Lincon Red Imps winning that Champions League

Albeit with the strongest sides they played en route being Arsenal and Shakhtar Donetsk. Emma being Nacional of Cyprus..

The reason why we should give equal praise to Fernandez is she knocked out Barcelona, Bayern, Athletico and Ajax, and she would only be Granada.

(i did the above on the current ten year European club rankings)

I think Emma will quickly establish herself in the top ten, but I do think Fernandez is, for now, the next big thing.

So it is quite incredible. I doubt there will be another tournament like this one. And it's good that folk recognise both player's achievements. Last night's tennis was awesome.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wrong thread. Daily Mail territory.

Yes, I think [MENTION=40977]BluesRockDJ[/MENTION] should win a free subscription to The Express with that one.

I came to Sussex aged two and had no prior connection through birth. So it's a bit like me captaining Sussex CCC to the world club T20 and being told 'he's Surrey'.

A dumb comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here