Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've no idea but if i was a betting man I'd wager she didn't grow up on a council estate in Sheffield. The point I was making is that few kids from poor backgrounds play tennis but most kick a ball around at some stage. Middle class kids tend to play Tennis, Rugby and Cricket because mummy and daddy don't like the footballing oiks, I guess it's another reason I don't like Tennis or Rugby because it doesn't resonate with my past like football does. Strangely I love cricket but I think that has a lot to do with the Ashes and beating the Aussies. Strange world innit, the things you like or don't like. If it's your thing though that's fine but I can't imagine the Queen sending personal congrats to an 18 year old lad if he won the league title, champs league, fa Cup, World Cup etc all in his first season...

Neither can I, but then that's because as an achievement it would not even come close compared with what Raducanu achieved the other night.

In an individual sport, to go from 350th in the world in the space of a few months, then go and win 10 matches in a row without dropping a set, and collect a Major in only her 2nd Major tournament - thats off-the-scale, unprecedented brilliance. Never been done before, and will most likely never be done again. Nothing in football really compares.

As for her background, middle-class or whatever, so what ? You still don't get to achieve what she did without guts, determination, dedication, attitude, mentality and incredible, astounding levels of purely honed talent. I wouldn't call myself a tennis fan by any means, but I watched several of her matches including the semi, and couldn't help but be drawn in, impressed and then thrilled at her speed, skill and mental toughness. That was something truly special, and she fully deserves every accolade, including the one from Lizzy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
touched a nerve ? Tell me, where does Mo Farah spend the majority of his time ? What does he do to deserve his Knighthood ?

What the absolute **** has Farah got to do with the girl who lives in Bromley?

As I said, you're not welcome on my thread.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But difference is you would have been born in England..................I give you Mo Farah as another example ?

So Terry Butcher, John Barnes, Raheem Sterling and Nasaar Hussain, have no right to be regarded as English ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So Terry Butcher, John Barnes, Raheem Sterling and Nasaar Hussain, have no right to be regarded as English ?

Also Tony Greig, George Orwell, Allan Lamb, and Cliff Richard. Not all of them sporting, I'll grant you.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I've no idea but if i was a betting man I'd wager she didn't grow up on a council estate in Sheffield. The point I was making is that few kids from poor backgrounds play tennis but most kick a ball around at some stage. Middle class kids tend to play Tennis, Rugby and Cricket because mummy and daddy don't like the footballing oiks, I guess it's another reason I don't like Tennis or Rugby because it doesn't resonate with my past like football does. Strangely I love cricket but I think that has a lot to do with the Ashes and beating the Aussies. Strange world innit, the things you like or don't like. If it's your thing though that's fine but I can't imagine the Queen sending personal congrats to an 18 year old lad if he won the league title, champs league, fa Cup, World Cup etc all in his first season...

To be fair to your love of cricket, I don't think it fits into the "middle class" sports in quite the same way tennis or rugby do. For that matter, in the south west and north rugby doesn't necessarily have the same connotations either.

I can confirm that she doesn't come from anywhere near Sheffield though. The people I work with would definitely have gone on about that at length if she did.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Also Tony Greig, George Orwell, Allan Lamb, and Cliff Richard. Not all of them sporting, I'll grant you.

At least he might have a case with Greig and Lamb as neither would probably claim to be English. But to suggest someone isn't English when it's all they've ever known is nuts. Whatever it is, he just needs to let it go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Neither can I, but then that's because as an achievement it would not even come close compared with what Raducanu achieved the other night.

In an individual sport, to go from 350th in the world in the space of a few months, then go and win 10 matches in a row without dropping a set, and collect a Major in only her 2nd Major tournament - thats off-the-scale, unprecedented brilliance. Never been done before, and will most likely never be done again. Nothing in football really compares.

As for her background, middle-class or whatever, so what ? You still don't get to achieve what she did without guts, determination, dedication, attitude, mentality and incredible, astounding levels of purely honed talent. I wouldn't call myself a tennis fan by any means, but I watched several of her matches including the semi, and couldn't help but be drawn in, impressed and then thrilled at her speed, skill and mental toughness. That was something truly special, and she fully deserves every accolade, including the one from Lizzy.

Same here. I’m not a big tennis fan, but her achievement here is almost without parallel. It’s utterly ridiculous and ranks up there with the greatest sporting triumphs ever, anywhere.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Let me start by saying I think Tennis is proper shit. Centre court at Wimbledon is Sport for people who don't like sport, Roger Federer strikes me as a tosser and as a general rule I'd be more likely to put tiddly winks on the Tellybox than the "Come on Tim" fest that is Tennis. I even swapped 2 Wimbledon tickets I won in a work raffle for 2 cov tickets when they were in League 1 such is my disdain for the sport under normal circumstances.

Saturday night though, was sport at its finest. An 18 year old girl, qualifies, makes her way to the final, wins the thing without dropping a set in a historical first and charms the world in the process. Its Roy of the Rovers on speed, an achievement that is unlikely to be repeated by a Brit in our lifetime and if someone as cynical as me can celebrate it, it surely must be a fantastic achievement? What a sign of the times that we can turn something so unexpectedly brilliant into an argument about schools and immigration. I love cricket for example but no one seems to mind we haven't had a state school cricketer make the England squad for over 10 years!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let me start by saying I think Tennis is proper shit. Centre court at Wimbledon is Sport for people who don't like sport, Roger Federer strikes me as a tosser and as a general rule I'd be more likely to put tiddly winks on the Tellybox than the "Come on Tim" fest that is Tennis. I even swapped 2 Wimbledon tickets I won in a work raffle for 2 cov tickets when they were in League 1 such is my disdain for the sport under normal circumstances.

Saturday night though, was sport at its finest. An 18 year old girl, qualifies, makes her way to the final, wins the thing without dropping a set in a historical first and charms the world in the process. Its Roy of the Rovers on speed, an achievement that is unlikely to be repeated by a Brit in our lifetime and if someone as cynical as me can celebrate it, it surely must be a fantastic achievement? What a sign of the times that we can turn something so unexpectedly brilliant into an argument about schools and immigration. I love cricket for example but no one seems to mind we haven't had a state school cricketer make the England squad for over 10 years!

It’s no more a sign of the times than the arguments over Andy Murray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here