Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Emma in the final - official thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A very salient point. Footballers should be ashamed. But the authorities condone the play acting by taking no action.

They do take action though, they award fouls and yellow cards, with associated free kicks.

All the time players are incentivised to fall over and feign injury after the slightest touch, or none at all, they will continue to do so.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
‘No good at it anymore’?

You must remember the 70’s when we had a bit more success but there were no British slam winners in the 80’s or 90’s or 00’s. When I played the game as a youngster we had Jeremy Bates and Jo Durie. Sure the later got past the quarters in four slams but my word, we were shit at tennis in this Country. To say we’re no good at it any more (looking at the 2015 Davies cup win along with Olympic or Slams for Murray & Radacanu) is absolute bonkers to be fair.

A lot of our recent success comes down to one Scottish family. And Andy murray was tennis schooled in Spain.
Bar Andy Murray, Henman (to an extent), Rusedski (to an even lesser extent) and now the freak of nature that is Raducanu, we have - considering how much is put into tennis in this country - been shit at producing players for donkeys years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
C48B83F8-F68B-4E57-81A3-BFD9CDD8C2C0.jpeg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No beating the ground with her fist either suggesting she was in absolute agony

How come Emma didn’t flinch whilst gouging her leg on the court and drawing blood ? Perhaps a tennis fan could explain as I am used to watching footballers burst into tears at the slightest non blood drawing contact.

Probably because she's a girlie.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They do take action though, they award fouls and yellow cards, with associated free kicks.

All the time players are incentivised to fall over and feign injury after the slightest touch, or none at all, they will continue to do so.

Yeah well obviously by 'not doing anything' I meant take action against the cheats.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I like tennis, not big hitter more aces than winning shots men’s tennis or clay (?) courts like Roland Garros, but Federer, Andy Murray type tennis and I love Wimbledon. I tend to avoid women’s tennis as it seldom thrills me and the grunting does my head in, there was none of that at all last night. Watching Emma over the last couple of weeks has been brilliant and last night’s game was, for me, the best women’s tennis match I have ever seen. Two very evenly matched players who were both in virtually every game. So many 0-30 or 0-40 or 30-0 or 40-0 games that changed around and were impossible to call. Absolutely fabulous that Emma won but it really was fantastic tennis from both players.

I lost interest in tennis around the time of McEnroe (not because of him, though) as it seemed to be increasingly about power rather than artistry and always thought women’s tennis was pretty rubbish compared with the men’s.

But I switched on the match last night early in the first set just to see how it was going and was absolutely mesmerised by the quality of the tennis and the mental toughness shown by both players.

Just hope Raducanu gets the plaudits from everyone rather than the sniping that often accompanies early major success!

She deserves it and is far and away the most talented woman player I’ve ever seen…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A lot of our recent success comes down to one Scottish family. And Andy murray was tennis schooled in Spain.
Bar Andy Murray, Henman (to an extent), Rusedski (to an even lesser extent) and now the freak of nature that is Raducanu, we have - considering how much is put into tennis in this country - been shit at producing players for donkeys years.

I must admit, until Mr Rune pulled me up on this, I thought it was a fairly universally held view.

e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/14/british-tennis-missed-shot-judy-murray-tim-henman

My main point wasn't really that though. It was that there are less kids playing tennis that when I was young, and a lot less courts. Those that are playing will be mainly private school / "County Pathway" types. That will hopefully change given Emma's massive achievement, but the aspiring kids need access to courts.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I lost interest in tennis around the time of McEnroe (not because of him, though) as it seemed to be increasingly about power rather than artistry and always thought women’s tennis was pretty rubbish compared with the men’s.

But I switched on the match last night early in the first set just to see how it was going and was absolutely mesmerised by the quality of the tennis and the mental toughness shown by both players.

Just hope Raducanu gets the plaudits from everyone rather than the sniping that often accompanies early major success!

She deserves it and is far and away the most talented woman player I’ve ever seen…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, and the standard of tennis last night was top class. I felt the Williams sisters sucked the life out of womens Tennis for a while

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As if the two girls weren’t impressive enough already, Fernandez did her press conference in English, then did one in French and then did one in Spanish. Meanwhile, Raducanu recorded a video message for her Chinese fans - in fluent Mandarin…..:mad::bowdown:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As if the two girls weren’t impressive enough already, Fernandez did her press conference in English, then did one in French and then did one in Spanish. Meanwhile, Raducanu recorded a video message for her Chinese fans - in fluent Mandarin…..:mad::bowdown:

Crikey 👍👍 really fantastic girls, what a performance.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
the aspiring kids need access to courts.
Not only tennis courts, but swimming pools as well

Even when state schools still have their swimming pools and didn't tarmac them over to make car parks, they know they can make more money by renting them out to the public. Swimming lessons get abolished or demoted to an after-school 'club'.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Not only tennis courts, but swimming pools as well

Even when state schools still have their swimming pools and didn't tarmac them over to make car parks, they know they can make more money by renting them out to the public. Swimming lessons get abolished or demoted to an after-school 'club'.

Generally agree. But swimming clubs tend to be a lot more inclusive in my experience - if you're keen to swim, then in most towns in Sussex, you'll find a club working hard to get you in (and keep you in) the pool! Can't say the same about tennis.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I honestly don't think she even thought about winning until she had actually won! What a talent, she's set to make many millions and hopefully be at the top of the game for many years to come.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Without wishing to fan the flames, I got put off tennis because of the "class issue" which possibility doesn't exist today, I have no idea.

I was on at attachment from University with a television crew in the 90s (for a well known broadcaster) and they shot a programme at a very well known tennis club. The programme was focused on wheelchair tennis.

The shoot was organised through the LTA, but a few traditional old timers weren't happy. Some old farts in a blazers came out and challenged the crew a number of times and questioned why they were there. They tried to stop the crew filming the club house in the background and even claimed the wheelchairs damaging the surface.

Once we'd shown them our "papers", the old buggers brought out a court vacuum cleaner on the adjacent courts knowing damn well it would cause havoc with the sound and continuity.

I ended up with a short lived job at the production company and a few years later we returned to do a similar programme. The company made sure they booked the inside courts for a day and locked everyone else out.

The first time I had an exchange with a young tennis player, who had witnessed the whole thing. He was part of some UK youth team, can't remember, but was thinking of getting out.

He was from a "normal" background and completely incongruous to the environment.

As we talking the UK number one in his Porsche.

"That's the problem", he said.

Went onto explain how the player was pretty rubbish on the world stage but was already a multi-millionaire through sponsorship. We'll never be any good at tennis in this country if you get so rich by being mediocre.

I presume much has changed and that change was starting back then leading to all sorts of tensions. Put me off tennis for life though....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Christ, are we now arguing about her wealth as well as her ethnicity?

An 18 year old girl has just won a major title, having started as a qualifier, without dropping a set. THAT'S the story. It's incredible. It would be incredible if she was Royalty, if she came from Whitehawk or if she was American, Indonesian or Finnish quite frankly.

:shrug:

She's not Finnish? She's only 18 :shrug:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Yes, I think [MENTION=40977]BluesRockDJ[/MENTION] should win a free subscription to The Express with that one.

I came to Sussex aged two and had no prior connection through birth. So it's a bit like me captaining Sussex CCC to the world club T20 and being told 'he's Surrey'.

A dumb comment.

But difference is you would have been born in England..................I give you Mo Farah as another example ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But difference is you would have been born in England..................I give you Mo Farah as another example ?

You're not welcome on my thread.

I give you that as an example of intolerance and an attempt to exclude people. No special reason. I just feel like it. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here