Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Careless, reckless, using excessive force
“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned.

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off. "

Well, based on that, and a quick view on The Championship on BBC1, I would say that the red was harsh. Going in for it like that should have been a red IF THE MK DONS PLAYER WAS ON THE BALL AND IN CONTROL OF IT, but he wasn't - he was, like El Abd, rushing for a fifty fifty ball. No evidence of intent. Yellow at worst for me.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He's 24 and played over 200 games for us, I'm not really sure we can grade him as we would a teenager taking his first tentative steps in first team football anymore. He should know better by now.

It was an unjust sending off, the rest of the match he was performing well, a poor refereeing decision shouldn't cost a player his carear as you are suggesting, he has done well since he returned to the side in the last few games, and was having another good game before wrongly being sent off - so why the over reaction to this?

Recently an England International defender made an error in an international match, passing the ball straight to the oppositions' forward, who when on to score the 1st goal of the match- should this player, who is considered one of the best in the world never play for England, or Man Utd again because he makes mistakes? - That player was Rio Ferdinand
YouTube - Highlights England V Holland August 12 -2009

I am not suggesting that El-Abd is as good as Ferdinand, but it shows that all players make silly mistakes, Ferdinand was, until the last couple of seasons, someone else who regularly made mistakes too, but given time, he has learn't and developed into an important player for every team he plays for.

Give El-Abd time, he too will start to eliminate those errors, remember too that he rarely plays in the same position when in the team, (which makes it harder to be consistant.)

He is very versitile, and adds alot to the squad, how many players would we need in the reserves to cover these positions incase of injury / suspensions, how much extra would we have to spend on players to have that cover, how do you keep those extra players motivated, in form and happy when not in the side?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am not suggesting that El-Abd is as good as Ferdinand, but it shows that all players make silly mistakes

But El Abd makes them on a regular basis...it's always the same...four good games, one catastrophic error....four good games...one catastrophic error...etc

Give El-Abd time, he too will start to eliminate those errors

He's 25 years old- how long do you want to give him? At what point does somebody say to a player: you simply aren't learning from your mistakes? Even the stupidest dog can be trained to do simple tasks with repeated practice. Where do you draw the line with a footballer?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I really don't understand why so many people don't think it was an obvious red card, there shouldn't be any question that he will get sent off for such a stupid and dangerous tackle. There's no place for that kind of tackle in football, and I say that as someone who plays the game and who has suffered such a tackle.

We all know what El-Abd is, he'll fight hard and he'll put in a shift when needed. But he's a backup at the very best and if we genuinely want to improve the squad and climb the table then it's players like him who don't have a place here. He's blatantly not good enough for league 1, but it's not through a lack of effort or desire. Some of the personal abuse thrown at him at times on here is incredible, I don't like him as a footballer and don't think he's good enough for this club. But that's nothing against the bloke as a man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really don't understand why so many people don't think it was an obvious red card, there shouldn't be any question that he will get sent off for such a stupid and dangerous tackle. There's no place for that kind of tackle in football, and I say that as someone who plays the game and who has suffered such a tackle.

We all know what El-Abd is, he'll fight hard and he'll put in a shift when needed. But he's a backup at the very best and if we genuinely want to improve the squad and climb the table then it's players like him who don't have a place here. He's blatantly not good enough for league 1, but it's not through a lack of effort or desire. Some of the personal abuse thrown at him at times on here is incredible, I don't like him as a footballer and don't think he's good enough for this club. But that's nothing against the bloke as a man.

Exactly correct.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
He's 25 years old- how long do you want to give him? At what point does somebody say to a player: you simply aren't learning from your mistakes? Even the stupidest dog can be trained to do simple tasks with repeated practice. Where do you draw the line with a footballer?

But you are comparing stupid dogs to footballers - that's hardly fair to stupid dogs is it?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But El Abd makes them on a regular basis...it's always the same...four good games, one catastrophic error....four good games...one catastrophic error...etc

As did Ferdinand, and even other Brighton players regularly make mistakes but arn't singled out like he is. He give it all and so far this season at least, he has done very well and not looked out of his depth, so is this ott criticism justified - NO

He is a squad player, when has he had a week in, week out run in the side in the same position? so far he has played Centre back, Left back and Right back and we are only 10 games into the season.

Like the rest of the defense this season, all the chopping and changing (due to injury and suspensions) has made it harder to gain consistancy, a settled defensive line up will do better an one that has different players for each game in the same way that playing in a settled position week in week out helps someone to become more consistant.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Because if you watch it again, you will see what happened, he was watching the ball, he stuck his leg out to try to bring the ball down and the opposition player who was sprinting towards his was still 7 - 10 yards away when he first stretched his leg out, and seeing as he didn't continue to move forward when he did this, but stayed in the same place with his foot outstretched - their player ran onto this, which can hardly be described as a dangerous tackle with intent.

When their player reach El-Abd, his outstretched foot was back below knee height, there was absolutely no intent in make contact with their player (his eyes were on the ball)

It looks worse that it was becauase of the speed that their player reached El-Abd, El-Abd never dived in, and if you pause it when the ball drops, you can see it clearly land on El-Abd's foot, which is what he was trying to do, he was looking to bring it down to carry on the attack.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thank you, Mellotron.

Because if you watch it again, you will see what happened, he was watching the ball, he stuck his leg out to try to bring the ball down and the opposition player who was sprinting towards his was still 7 - 10 yards away when he first stretched his leg out, and seeing as he didn't continue to move forward when he did this, but stayed in the same place with his foot outstretched - their player ran onto this, which can hardly be described as a dangerous tackle with intent.

When their player reach El-Abd, his outstretched foot was back below knee height, there was absolutely no intent in make contact with their player (his eyes were on the ball)

It looks worse that it was becauase of the speed that their player reached El-Abd, El-Abd never dived in, and if you pause it when the ball drops, you can see it clearly land on El-Abd's foot, which is what he was trying to do, he was looking to bring it down to carry on the attack.

I didn't say there was intent, I'm sure there wasn't. He's not a malicious player and certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a dangerous tackle, which it clearly was because of the stamping motion of his leg. It's a red card, no question.

The thing of it is that he didn't even need to do that, the ball would have come to naturally anyway, especially if the player was as far away as you're suggesting he was. He didn't need to stamp his foot down from waist height, in fact any footballer with any technique wouldn't have needed to do that. But he did, and he did because there was an opponent vyeing for posession and he felt he needed to be proactive to get the ball.

never wrong dave

Jul 20, 2008
Adam El-abd & Elphick are both vile free loading rich kids,that are only playing league football because of their very rich parents,that know the right people at the club.Not one other league club wants them,thats a fact.When El-abd was out of contract two years ago not one other club would even look at him for free,so he ran back to us Albion fans for more free money.Work it out my friends the players that are getting sent off every week are Elphick,El-abd,and Virgo,all part of the vile free loading sussex rich kids group with no talent.What do they all have in common?they have no pace.Something the staff at every other league club can see,apart from at the Albion.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Adam El-abd & Elphick are both vile free loading rich kids,that are only playing league football because of their very rich parents,that know the right people at the club.Not one other league club wants them,thats a fact.When El-abd was out of contract two years ago not one other club would even look at him for free,so he ran back to us Albion fans for more free money.Work it out my friends the players that are getting sent off every week are Elphick,El-abd,and Virgo,all part of the vile free loading sussex rich kids group with no talent.What do they all have in common?they have no pace.Something the staff at every other league club can see,apart from at the Albion.

What a load of rubbish, christ we have some real morons who "follow this club"

Was Elphick the winner of the 2007/08 player of the season award because he was a rich kid and knew the right people at the club?

Virgo was sold to Celtic for £1.5 Million, he played in some games for them, so to say he is total rubbish and just looking for money from us because everyone else wouldn't pay him, so why did he play for them, why did they pay that much for him? - If you think its only because of the Mark McGhee connection, you are wrong. Celtic are a business and wouldn't look to waste that much money on a player if they thought that he was as bad as you claim

What about other players we have had without any pace, for example, would you think that Darren Currie was a freeloader just after money and wouldn't be wanted by any other team or is it different because he was not from the youth set up?

Or is it that you are so petty minded that any home grown player will never be good enough, because we haven't paid a fee for them, or that they don't have a playing history for other teams to get excited over?

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
It was an unjust sending off, the rest of the match he was performing well, a poor refereeing decision shouldn't cost a player his carear as you are suggesting, he has done well since he returned to the side in the last few games, and was having another good game before wrongly being sent off - so why the over reaction to this?

Recently an England International defender made an error in an international match, passing the ball straight to the oppositions' forward, who when on to score the 1st goal of the match- should this player, who is considered one of the best in the world never play for England, or Man Utd again because he makes mistakes? - That player was Rio Ferdinand
YouTube - Highlights England V Holland August 12 -2009

I am not suggesting that El-Abd is as good as Ferdinand, but it shows that all players make silly mistakes, Ferdinand was, until the last couple of seasons, someone else who regularly made mistakes too, but given time, he has learn't and developed into an important player for every team he plays for.

Give El-Abd time, he too will start to eliminate those errors, remember too that he rarely plays in the same position when in the team, (which makes it harder to be consistant.)

He is very versitile, and adds alot to the squad, how many players would we need in the reserves to cover these positions incase of injury / suspensions, how much extra would we have to spend on players to have that cover, how do you keep those extra players motivated, in form and happy when not in the side?
Good point well made Sir

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
Yawn

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It was a booking at most, don't know how you can slate El Abd like that, he aint exactly gods gift and as soon as his contracts up its debatable whether he is the type of player we're looking for admittedly but so far this season particularly last few games he hasn't stepped a foot wrong, and from what i saw of the challenge it was a harsh red, i've seen players stay on the pitch for worse....

It was a red, no debate. It was a horrid "tackle" that could have caused injury.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Steve I disgaree with you. El-Abd has been superb at right back since Whing has been out with his groin injury. Yesterday wasn't a great tackle don't get me wrong, but for saying we should transfer him after that tackle, it abit of a joke to be honest!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Any back-up defender in League 1 is going to make mistakes!!!
I don't think he's particularly good, but to rip up his contract on the back of his first mistake of the season is bloody ridiculous!

Pratt.

His first mistake of the season?

Are you totally sure about that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, my view is that if you make the type of challenge which El Abd did you run a high risk of getting yourself sent off. Maybe it was harsh, maybe it was not. The best option is not to go making such challenges...esp in areas where there is minimal danger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here