Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Well, my view is that if you make the type of challenge which El Abd did you run a high risk of getting yourself sent off. Maybe it was harsh, maybe it was not. The best option is not to go making such challenges...esp in areas where there is minimal danger.

Totally agree.
The worry is that there is a pattern with our players here.
Notably, ElAbd made a couple of impressive runs coming forward yesterday.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well, my view is that if you make the type of challenge which El Abd did you run a high risk of getting yourself sent off. Maybe it was harsh, maybe it was not. The best option is not to go making such challenges...esp in areas where there is minimal danger.

I suggest watching it again, and this time account for the camera movement as it turns towards where El-Abd is, this camera movement makes it look like he lauched himself into that challange rather than the truth which is he hardly moved from his starting position and was looking to control the ball as it dropped, their player closed the gap alot faster than El-Abd would have expected, especially as he was watching the ball and not looking for someone making a darting run towards him, most players would think they would be able to bring it down unchallenged if faced with the same play.

The camera work makes it look worse, so instead try watching to see using the pattern on the pitch, you will see it wasn't anywhere near as bad as some are making out, and not worthy of a straight red card.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree with your interpretation, it wasn't malicious, just clumsy. That doesn't mean it wasn't a red card though, you can't raise your studs like that even if you think you'll avoid the challenge. It's asking for trouble. I don't think there's any real argument that it wasn't a red card. If it had been against us people would have been screaming for blood.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I can't believe some of the shit being spouted on here about the game.

El-Abd's challenge wasn't a red, his intention was the ball and had no way of seeing their number 18 bearing down on him out of eyesight. The Linesman was the joke all game and he didn't even flag when El-Abd got the ball, just kept his arm firmly tucked to his side. I believe a Yellow card was justified, and if you look at it again, their number 18 made an absolute f***ing meal of it.

Slade is right that the Red changed the game. MK Dons on the performance on the pitch on Saturday are not a promotion winning side - we look the more dangerous throughout.

The MK dons goal should have been disallowed for offside, but once again the Lino got it wrong (and all game) - every single bloody header in their area was always with an elbow in the back of an Albion players neck - the lino let every single one of them go.

Their soft goal took a deflection, and I can't blame Kuipers for being caught flat-footed as it was the first shot he was covering, not the header.

I left the game wanted to lynch the lino and the ref for losing absolute control of what I can only describe as the worst 90 minutes of refereeing and linesmanship I have seen in my life.

We were unlucky not to get a point, and had we kept El-Abd on the pitch I fimly believe we would have twatted the MK Nons.

Keep the faith people, keep the faith.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
El-Abd's challenge wasn't a red, his intention was the ball and had no way of seeing their number 18 bearing down on him out of eyesight.
Doesn't matter what his intention was when he's waving his studs about 3 feet off the ground. I don't know how the player could have been out of his eyeline running straight towards him, and if he didn't think there was anyone coming in there was no reason for his foot to be up where it was to control the ball. It was clumsy, not malicious, but it's a clear red card.

This thread is like it is because of the unpopularity of El Abd. If it had been Doug Loft (granted he probably wouldn't have tackled anyone) I doubt it would be so venomous.

Being side on and some distance away I didn't think it was a sending off. Others nearer (on here) think it was. We'll have to see if the ref rescinds it. A straight red is for serious foul play - but if he was going for the ball (foot up and outstretched maybe) and makes contact first then isn't it just foul play (bit like gbh and gbh with intent)? The intent is the question and perhaps the difference between red and yellow.

Likewise, from South Stand, I was "most annoyed!" at the sending off which didn't appear at all deserved. Hence my "vocalisations" at the time and clapping of EA as he left.

Seeing the TV, though, I've changed my mind completely - it looked deserved, though probably without the intent (a bouncing ball).

I still appreciate EA's values as a player . . . .

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thought it was a red at the time. Still do. Foot up to high,studs showing as pic from Argus shows.

Cannot deny his all round enthusiasm and he was playing well until that point. He has cost us dear in the past though.

Attachments

• Elabd_jpg_highlighted.jpg
    Elabd_jpg_highlighted.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 77

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Whatever is said, he is in good form at the moment and I think he is a great player and product of our youth system. Plays whereever he is asked, gives a lot and like many of our home grown players is hounded when he makes mistakes but rarely praised when he has a good game.

I hope the clubs appeal is upheld and he is back in the team asap.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whatever is said, he is in good form at the moment and I think he is a great player and product of our youth system. Plays whereever he is asked, gives a lot and like many of our home grown players is hounded when he makes mistakes but rarely praised when he has a good game.

I hope the clubs appeal is upheld and he is back in the team asap.

According to today's they've decided not to appeal. Good plan considering their argument was "he got the ball first", which as I've covered on here before, is irrelevant.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I can't believe some of the shit being spouted on here about the game.

El-Abd's challenge wasn't a red, his intention was the ball and had no way of seeing their number 18 bearing down on him out of eyesight. The Linesman was the joke all game and he didn't even flag when El-Abd got the ball, just kept his arm firmly tucked to his side. I believe a Yellow card was justified, and if you look at it again, their number 18 made an absolute f***ing meal of it.

Slade is right that the Red changed the game. MK Dons on the performance on the pitch on Saturday are not a promotion winning side - we look the more dangerous throughout.

The MK dons goal should have been disallowed for offside, but once again the Lino got it wrong (and all game) - every single bloody header in their area was always with an elbow in the back of an Albion players neck - the lino let every single one of them go.

Their soft goal took a deflection, and I can't blame Kuipers for being caught flat-footed as it was the first shot he was covering, not the header.

I left the game wanted to lynch the lino and the ref for losing absolute control of what I can only describe as the worst 90 minutes of refereeing and linesmanship I have seen in my life.

We were unlucky not to get a point, and had we kept El-Abd on the pitch I fimly believe we would have twatted the MK Nons.

Keep the faith people, keep the faith.

Unfortunately it is an ongoing theme, not a one-off incident. We need players who can stay on the pitch for 90mins, not ill-disciplined morons.

Keep the Faith? Keep Adam's shite to yourself!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Just looked at the replay on BBC site a few times. The challenge was a disgrace! It may not have been intended to connect with anyone, but making challenges like that cannot be allowed in the modern game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here