Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the time I thought that it deserved a straight red and having seen it on TV am more convinced. What are the club thinking about considering an appeal which will probably bring about an extra game suspension for a frivulous appeal.

Yes Kuipers has questions to answer about his domination or lack of, of the 6yd box

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why iz he such a scapegoat? He iz an 'andy player. His decent performances are ignored when he is prone to a mistake. He iz the Titus Bramble of League One. 'as he not been a decent player over the last few games?

I am not sure why someone would give 'im such a nasty reference when zey 'ave not seen ze tackle again.

Its because he is a home grown player and they are jealous, either that or it's because we didn't pay a fee for him or because he hasn't played for other clubs before for them to get excited about.

Just look at virtually every home grown player of late to come through the ranks, and I think you'd struggle to find one that hasn't been subject to this type of stick, everyone from Hammond, to Elphick has at some stage.

It seems that those fans have no patience. and can't accept that young players will make mistakes as they learn, as all players will, and seem unwilling to let them develop as a player but instead demand the finished article straight away, then demand they are sacked / sold when they arn't - too much short term thinking imo.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its because he is a home grown player and they are jealous, either that or it's because we didn't pay a fee for him or because he hasn't played for other clubs before for them to get excited about.

Just look at virtually every home grown player of late to come through the ranks, and I think you'd struggle to find one that hasn't been subject to this type of stick, everyone from Hammond, to Elphick has at some stage.

It seems that those fans have no patience. and can't accept that young players will make mistakes as they learn, as all players will, and seem unwilling to let them develop as a player but instead demand the finished article straight away, then demand they are sacked / sold when they arn't - too much short term thinking imo.

I didn't realise this was El Abd's first year as a pro. In that case I think you guys are being harsh on him. Clearly this kid, barely through puberty, deserves better than this. I'm ashamed of you all for criticising the poor boy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Looked a bit harsh to me.

Quite how that was described as a two footed challenge is anyone's guess.

But more to the point, what the hell was Kuipers doing for their goal ? If anything was "non league" it was that.

It hasn't been described as two footed has it? Going in one footed with studs showing and straight legged is nearly always going to get a red card (unless it's a Manc at Old Trafford). Reckless challenge at best-I'd say it was dangerous.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It hasn't been described as two footed has it? Going in one footed with studs showing and straight legged is nearly always going to get a red card (unless it's a Manc at Old Trafford). Reckless challenge at best-I'd say it was dangerous.

Was on the radio.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No. A straight red is for what the ref sees as 'excessive force'. A yellow is for a 'reckless' challenge, and a simple free kick for a 'careless' one.

It is entirely irrelevant if he touches the ball first.

I wasn't saying because he got the ball it can't be a foul. However getting the ball can be an indicator of level of intent. In any case having seen the tackle
On screen (briefly) and with the laws as you state I would suggest that a yellow would not have been a wholly unreasonable outcome. But football is a game of opinions and bens grandada puts forward a well structured case for a red.

Now back to kuipers. Poor play for their goal and for that there is no doubt

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I won't deny that El Abd's played well recently. But for me that's the biggest frustration with him. He goes through spells of great form, but there always seems to be a calamitous error just around the corner. Titus Bramble is a good analogy, as someone has said. Yesterday is a case in point- just when you think he's finally grasped it, he gies and makes a daft challenge & gets himself banned for three games.

You could forgive him if he was 18, 19 maybe, but he's got enough experience now to have ironed out the inconsistencies in his game, and for me, he just hasn't.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

How dare you come on here spouting common sense. :smile:

It's a shame; over the last few weeks he's raised his game from a calamitous start to the season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It seems that those fans have no patience. and can't accept that young players will make mistakes as they learn, as all players will,

He is 25-hardly a young player any more. Especially with 200 games under his belt. Yes, 25 is young but a footballer at the age of 25 is not really young-if that makes sense? To add a bit of perspective: Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup at age 25 and I don't ever recall him being referred to as a young player when that happened.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

He's 24 and played over 200 games for us, I'm not really sure we can grade him as we would a teenager taking his first tentative steps in first team football anymore. He should know better by now.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
What a load of f***ing bollocks.

El-abd is decent versatile back up - he can play anywhere in the defence which is handy.

Yes, he can be a liability, but he wouldn't be in the team if the rest of our defenders weren't always injured or banned. He's been decent in the previous few games, so no need for your vendetta to return as soon as he makes a f*** up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
He's been decent in the previous few games, so no need for your vendetta to return as soon as he makes a f*** up.

Vendetta? Return?

AFAIK, this is the first instance of my posting such comments.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes, but you've clearly got one if you think one sending off merits being sacked.

IDIOT.

As I said earlier, it's not just about yesterday. Barely a game goes past where he doesn't ruin any good points (which there are sometimes, just to be clear) with an awful tackle or suicidal backpass.

If this club is going to progress, players like Adam El Abd are not good enough. He's Charlie Oatway with less skill, basically.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
As I said earlier, it's not just about yesterday. Barely a game goes past where he doesn't ruin any good points (which there are sometimes, just to be clear) with an awful tackle or suicidal backpass.

If this club is going to progress, players like Adam El Abd are not good enough. He's Charlie Oatway with less skill, basically.

"he's charlie oatway with less skill, basically"

You've said that twice now, and it's OBVIOUSLY bullshit. El-abd is a VERSATILE defender. Oatway was a MIDFIELDER. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

Barely a game goes past...er hang on, he has been BRILLIANT for the last 4 games you clown.

Any back-up defender in League 1 is going to make mistakes!!!
I don't think he's particularly good, but to rip up his contract on the back of his first mistake of the season is bloody ridiculous!

Pratt.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
My view on El-Abd is he will have a good game say 1 in 4. The rest of the time his is prone to dropping clangers which costs us goals.

If we are a club aiming for the Championship El-Abd is not the type of player we need even as cover.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He played well until then, even had two good shots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here