Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin, Shipperley, Dichio and Raziak say 'No' to the Albion

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
BensGrandad said:
Would I suggest such a thing.

Typical scenario:

MM: Neil can we have Neil Shipperley on loan for the rest of the season.

NW: How much of his wages are you prepared to pay.

MM: £500.

NW to NS: Brighton want to sign you for the rest of the season on loan but are prepared to pay £500 per week of your wages we are prepared to pay the same are ypu prepared to drop to £1,000 per week.

NS No I am not.

MM & DK to Argus; We tried to sign NS but he turned us down.

You do realise phone tapping is illegal dont you ....:lol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Icy Gull said:
relegated by 5 points I believe? that is not a whisker

All McGhee's critics try to big up Coppell. The reality is that we got to the last day of the season needing to win whilst others had to lose.

He was not the Messiah he's built up as and struggled just as much as McGhee has. He also left us with two old crocks that we had to pay for a year. Having passion is fine but it needs a bit of balance if you are going to keep haveing digs at the current manager. Another error in the above is that Ivar had already left before Coppell walked out on us, so it had nothing to do with McGhee. Sorry Dave

Damn right, Getting relegated is getting relegated be it by 5 points or 35 points. He tried and failed to keep us up MM didn't.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Would I suggest such a thing.

Typical scenario:

MM: Neil can we have Neil Shipperley on loan for the rest of the season.

NW: How much of his wages are you prepared to pay.

MM: £500.

NW to NS: Brighton want to sign you for the rest of the season on loan but are prepared to pay £500 per week of your wages we are prepared to pay the same are ypu prepared to drop to £1,000 per week.

NS No I am not.

MM & DK to Argus; We tried to sign NS but he turned us down.

I expect we would have paid his full 2k wages, i would be very very surprised if we did not. For a proven championship player 2k a week is nothing at all and MM knows that. It would have had more to do with Shipperly simply just turing us down.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
But we had lost the 10 games previous to him taking over, so it was always a case of catch up.

The issue with Coppell is people are so short sighted with him as he managed Palace.

I couldn't care less that he managed Palarse to be honest, he didn't keep us in the league. Had he had the previous 10 games aswell then he may have done but thats irrelevant.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Auditor said:
You do realise phone tapping is illegal dont you ....:lol:

I didnt tap the phone sir, honest, I based my story on a story I was told by my next door neighbours, sisters milkmans,brother in law that we tried to get BZ on loan last season and offered to pay £2k of his wages but West Ham wanted at least 50% being £8k.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I couldn't care less that he managed Palarse to be honest, he didn't keep us in the league. Had he had the previous 10 games aswell then he may have done but thats irrelevant.

It is not irrelevant as it was those 10 games that left us in the shit. McGhee has had all season but all he seems to have achieved is a split dressing room and a load of draws, oh and some interesting signings...

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
in fact if results had gone our way on the last Saturday of the season we would have stayed up!!!

But the harsh reality is we didn't and we went down under Coppell. McGhee kept us up last season and we are still in the fight now. Look at teams like Sheff Wed, Leciester, Derby, to name a few, all playing in huge grounds we massive followings.
We are in a tinpot stadium and moaning we can't get a big name, its no suprise and the only reason we have stayed up is togetherness.

Together we can do this, even without new signings.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I can't quite remember but didn't Coppell get us into a safeish position around february/march time but we were unable to kick on to make it a really safe one?.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

The issue with Coppell is people are so short sighted with him as he managed Palace.

On the other side of the coin people are so short sighted with McGhee because they can't equate the difference between the Albion and Reading.

It's taken Coppell three seasons and a load of cash to get Reading above where they were when Pardew left

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
On the other side of the coin people are so short sighted with McGhee because they can't equate the difference between the Albion and Reading.

McGhee is divisive. He can either do no wrong in some people's eyes or is incredibly frustrating due to falling out with players, using the press to criticise them and at times the playing out of position.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
It is not irrelevant as it was those 10 games that left us in the shit. McGhee has had all season but all he seems to have achieved is a split dressing room and a load of draws, oh and some interesting signings...

Coppell knew the job in hand when he got here, he didn't keep us up. MM has made a few mistakes but in the two seasons hes been here he got us promoted then kept us up, and we are out of the bottom three this year. I think the dressing room thing is over exaggerated I believe the dressing room is ok now Knight has gone.

Intresting signings? Turinezo and Molango. I fail to find any others, everyone makes mistakes. He has also found some quality signings, Frutos, Carole, McShane, Henderson and CKR.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
McGhee is divisive. He can either do no wrong in some people's eyes or is incredibly frustrating due to falling out with players, using the press to criticise them and at times the playing out of position.

No he is not perfect but he has got us promoted and kept us there. If you gave him just a bit of credit your arguments would hold more credence. But no you slag him off at every opportunity and seem to revere Coppell, who also has faults which you choose to overlook.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Who is willing to put their money where their mouth is for St Barnabas Hospice that Leicester and Derby will finish above us.

I think they probably will when they have new managers, im willing to bet we stay up tho.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Coppell knew the job in hand when he got here, he didn't keep us up. MM has made a few mistakes but in the two seasons hes been here he got us promoted then kept us up, and we are out of the bottom three this year. I think the dressing room thing is over exaggerated I believe the dressing room is ok now Knight has gone.

Intresting signings? Turinezo and Molango. I fail to find any others, everyone makes mistakes. He has also found some quality signings, Frutos, Carole, McShane, Henderson and CKR.

He has found some quality, but Turienzo is looking an expensive (for us) mistake, Molango and Jarratt were both given 3 year deals and now we are trying to shift them, Trolley well hmmmm.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Caveman said:
If people want to bring in the McGhee / Coppell / Palace agruement, just a question to you....

Which manager motivated their team the best against our rivals?

that is a daft argument isn't it

Coppell's first game was the 5-0 wasnt it? ( I stand corrected if not) He didnt know any of the players apart from Rogers...I dont think motivation was the issue that game...we were just mullered.

we played a hell of a lot better in the home game and should have won that game. They certainly seemed motivated for that one.-

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here