Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin, Shipperley, Dichio and Raziak say 'No' to the Albion

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
D'Angelo Saxon said:
What happened to that Polish dude? Did he sign for Derby? Any chance of getting him down here now that Brown has been sacked?

He's signed for Excelsior Mouscron on loan for the rest of the season.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I noticed that we only have 7 home games left after tonight........

I thought at the beginning of the season we would struggle, then after the Plymouth game, I thought we would be easily good enough to stay in the division...now I would be pleasantly surprised if we stay up.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
This is obviously the situation and we all know that.

What frustrates me is that if someone expresses an opinion on here about who we have missed out on and expresses dissapointment, they are immediatly jumped on by the " DK can do no wrong clique" as being disloyal.

I wish some of you people would just take your blinkers off for one moment and see that all is not rosy in the garden and appreciate that there are people like Dwayne, ernire etc etc who care passionatly about the club as you do, but who question the club, unlike you.

It's not a case of blinkers is it? Comments like 'Dick Tight' and 'why doesn't he get his money out' aren't exactly constructive. Believing that a player will come to the s**t hole that is Withdean to play for the Mighty stripes for gash money is just a tad naive. What people seem to forget wrt not having our own ground is that your ground is you only asset, and when you raise cash a lender is only going to give cash if he thinks he will get it back.

If you look at the club as a business we are pretty much knackered, we are getting along on investment from the board as we make little or no cash threw matchdays (saying that I believe we now make a small sum). If I was a board member I would be asking myself just how much more am I willing to invest?
There is an assumption by sum that it's just a case of throwing money at players and that the board can afford to do it but just won't, that's fine it's someone elses money, however if it was yours what would you do ......

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
dwayne said:
As many people have stated before other managers have had no problems bringing in quality loans, and Crewe have been signing reasonable players. There are only a certain amount of excuses left.

I would like to see the chances of Mcghee getting another job if he did walk.

Crewe own their ground and have extensively redeveloped it in recent years. They also have executive boxes at one end and are still awash with cash following the Ashton deal. Even so, they are not exactly doing impressively themselves, are they? If you wish to attack anyone, please direct your annoyance to Lewes District Council. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: They are solely responsible for our continuing difficulties. With the Falmer decision completely sown up, we would be building for a very bright future. Instead we probably face League One. McGhee has shown great loyalty in not walking out in this situation. 4 of the last 6 managers have done this.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Deportivo Seagull said:
It's not a case of blinkers is it? Comments like 'Dick Tight' and 'why doesn't he get his money out' aren't exactly constructive. Believing that a player will come to the s**t hole that is Withdean to play for the Mighty stripes for gash money is just a tad naive. What people seem to forget wrt not having our own ground is that your ground is you only asset, and when you raise cash a lender is only going to give cash if he thinks he will get it back.

If you look at the club as a business we are pretty much knackered, we are getting along on investment from the board as we make little or no cash threw matchdays (saying that I believe we now make a small sum). If I was a board member I would be asking myself just how much more am I willing to invest?
There is an assumption by sum that it's just a case of throwing money at players and that the board can afford to do it but just won't, that's fine it's someone elses money, however if it was yours what would you do ......

I would agree with all of that if we were in divi 4 with no hope of anything, however we are in divi 2. Although the ground is not what we would all like, we have been there now for 6 odd years..in those years, we have added extra seats and improved the place no end. in those years we have had players like Ingmarrson, Sidwell, Mcshane down here on loan all decent players.

Why is it suddenly the problem that we cant get anyone to come here? I cant understand the sudden problem. Ok we are at the bottom area of the league, but we are not bottom! we have a chance of staying up...all is not lost...yet players still are not interested.

maybe we are more in the shit than we have been led to believe and we cannot afford any money at all! I understand clubs hol;ding palyers registrations pay their wages and the loanee is expected to make a contribution...maybe we have no pot to make that contribution?

But at the end of the day its good to ask the questions because for all the..." you're talking bollock mate" noone knows anything about the running of this clu..let alone people on here

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
Coppell started with a loss of 12 games on the bounce and came within a whisker of keeping us up...in fact if results had gone our way on the last Saturday of the season we would have stayed up!!! Secondly, it was Coppells team that Mcghee took up. So much so that Ingmarrsen etc buggered off to Reading and play for Coppell rather that playing for Mcghee.

relegated by 5 points I believe? that is not a whisker

All McGhee's critics try to big up Coppell. The reality is that we got to the last day of the season needing to win whilst others had to lose.

He was not the Messiah he's built up as and struggled just as much as McGhee has. He also left us with two old crocks that we had to pay for a year. Having passion is fine but it needs a bit of balance if you are going to keep haveing digs at the current manager. Another error in the above is that Ivar had already left before Coppell walked out on us, so it had nothing to do with McGhee. Sorry Dave

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought if we won at Grimsby, and stoke lost we would have survived?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dwayne said:
As many people have stated before other managers have had no problems bringing in quality loans, and Crewe have been signing reasonable players. There are only a certain amount of excuses left.

I would like to see the chances of Mcghee getting another job if he did walk.
When Crewe signed Ugarte in the summer, half this board bleated and whinged that we should've been in for him. As it happens, Ugarte has been shite, dropped from an already shite team and turfed out back to Wrexham.

FFS, McGhee makes strange decisions and you can argue about his media conduct but it really isn't his fault that so many ordinary Championship players are turning us down. It seems we can only attract hungry lower league players who are keen to prove themselves at a higher level and this has always been the case. Strangely enough, this type of player is likely to be a success for Albion WHEN WE'RE IN DIVISION FOUR, but not quite so much at Championship level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dave the gaffer said:
I thought if we won at Grimsby, and stoke lost we would have survived?
Correct. They were 3 points clear of us but had a worse goal difference than us.

In the end, they won, we drew - final margin was 5 points.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
No-one will come to the Albion until the builders are at F*lmer

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's money more than Falmer as far as players are concerned. Most just want to play first team football, but we don't pay the going rate, so the players are prepared to stick where they are or hope for a better deal from a club offering more. There is still plenty of chance of something happening today as those 'offers' fail to materialise from other clubs.

In the case of CKR, Bury were paying him £200 a week, so he was more than happy to accept our offer. Added to this he wanted to come back down south and fancied his chances two divisions higher as it puts him in the shop window. Other players have a different attitude.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
BensGrandad said:
The names of the strikers being banded about as turning us down doesn't sound right reminds me of a big field with loads of male cows in.

surely you're not implying we are being hoodwinked...:rolleyes:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Icy Gull said:
relegated by 5 points I believe? that is not a whisker

All McGhee's critics try to big up Coppell. The reality is that we got to the last day of the season needing to win whilst others had to lose.

He was not the Messiah he's built up as and struggled just as much as McGhee has. He also left us with two old crocks that we had to pay for a year. Having passion is fine but it needs a bit of balance if you are going to keep haveing digs at the current manager. Another error in the above is that Ivar had already left before Coppell walked out on us, so it had nothing to do with McGhee. Sorry Dave

Come on ICY we went down cause we only 5 points after 15 games that year and that was because we put in Hinchelwood as a manager because he was cheap

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Auditor said:
surely you're not implying we are being hoodwinked...:rolleyes:

Would I suggest such a thing.

Typical scenario:

MM: Neil can we have Neil Shipperley on loan for the rest of the season.

NW: How much of his wages are you prepared to pay.

MM: £500.

NW to NS: Brighton want to sign you for the rest of the season on loan but are prepared to pay £500 per week of your wages we are prepared to pay the same are ypu prepared to drop to £1,000 per week.

NS No I am not.

MM & DK to Argus; We tried to sign NS but he turned us down.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Stinky Kat said:
Come on ICY we went down cause we only 5 points after 15 games that year and that was because we put in Hinchelwood as a manager because he was cheap

.... and because he was the popular choice ... as was Wood ......

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Who'd want to manage or play for this club except an Albion fan or everyone else's rejects, and some of those would rather play reserve team football than come here apparently That makes depressing reading and I expect MgGhee to walk before long. How the feck is he supposed to work under those circumstances?

Thats why i like MM, other managers have got to the stage where its got hard and just f***ed off, MM states he want to be here when falmer is built and I hope he is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here