Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin, Shipperley, Dichio and Raziak say 'No' to the Albion

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
3gulls said:
Why didn't you think we were going down before? Millwall have new Chairman with money being spent, Leicester have sacked that idiot Lavine. Only Crewe are worse than us! :nono:

and Derby have got rid of Brown

My heart was telling me we'd sign someone who could keep us up or at least give us a better chance.
It's my head thats now telling me that we can't score consistently for toffee + our relagation rivals are seemingly not only stronger than us but have bolstered all their squads for the dogfight ahead.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
by all appearances we are totally f***ed.......we are in a worse situation this year than last...........perhaps when hinsh is fit again , mm will stick bummers up front and see if he can do a virgo for us...........:(

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Stick El Abd up front and then perhaps we can convince a few clubs that we have signed a quality striker from the Nations cup of Africa :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Dougal said:
and Derby have got rid of Brown

My heart was telling me we'd sign someone who could keep us up or at least give us a better chance.
It's my head thats now telling me that we can't score consistently for toffee + our relagation rivals are seemingly not only stronger than us but have bolstered all their squads for the dogfight ahead.

Big difference between them and us is?

Couldn't be that they all have real stadia to attract players? All have proper training facilities? All have a bit of money available to the manager?

Without a decent stadium we are never going to be able to bring in the required number of players to be competitive in this division-even with the likes of Crewe. With our current facilities and general air of uncertainty even the likes of Mourhino, Ferguson and Benitez would struggle to attract players.

Until we get Falmer up and running it's a reality we all have to live with-unless some fabulously wealthy person sees the potential and wants to throw away untold millions into the Black Hole that is Albion finances.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bwian said:

Couldn't be that they all have real stadia to attract players? All have proper training facilities? All have a bit of money available to the manager?

Without a decent stadium we are never going to be able to bring in the required number of players to be competitive in this division-even with the likes of Crewe. With our current facilities and general air of uncertainty even the likes of Mourhino, Ferguson and Benitez would struggle to attract players.

Until we get Falmer up and running it's a reality we all have to live with-unless some fabulously wealthy person sees the potential and wants to throw away untold millions into the Black Hole that is Albion finances.

fair point and one that gets consistently churned out , however there must be players out there who would not be put off by facilities as they would get first tema championship football, for example I believe CKR choose us against other clubs you seem to of bracketed above. Your arguement is true but we shouldn't just accept that this is gospel !!

D

Deleted User X18H

Albion manager Mark McGhee has lost out to his close friend Gordon Strachan in a bid to sign Dion Dublin.

Dublin has joined Strachan's Celtic for the rest of the season after having his contract with the Seagulls' fellow Championship strugglers Leicester terminated by mutual consent.

Dublin is not the only well-known player McGhee has missed out on in his hunt for an experienced target man.

The Argus can reveal Albion also made a bid for Sheffield United's Neil Shipperley, as well as asking about the availability of Tottenham's Grzegorz Rasiak and Danny Dichio of Preston.

Meanwhile, the Seagulls' hopes of landing two less experienced strikers before the transfer window shuts tonight have been held up.

They were still locked in negotiations last night to resolve a permanent deal for a player who has been at a League One club. A loan agreement for the other player has been delayed due to injury problems at his Premiership club.

McGhee will exploit a Football League inspired loophole in the transfer regulations to pursue his interest in loan signings beyond the midnight deadline.

The League's resistance to the August and January transfer window system imposed by FIFA allows for ëemergency' (short-term) loans once the window closes.

McGhee plans to make the most of the situation to add not only his forward target but other new faces to his relegation-threatened squad.

He has made no secret of his desire to sign both a leftback and midfielder and he will still have the opportunity after tonight to bring in players on loans lasting a maximum of 93 days, although they can only be signed between February 7 and the customary transfer deadline on March 23.

The February 7 starting point is due to a seven-day ëcooling off' period after the January window.

Tonight's Withdean opponents Burnley are trying to hold onto their highly rated manager Steve Cotterill. They rejected an approach yesterday from Leicester, where Cotterill had a spell as coach under ex-Seagulls boss Micky Adams.

McGhee thinks Cotterill, a loan player with Albion during his centre forward days, should stay put.

He said: "Steve seems to be one of these managers who gets linked with practically every job going. I think he's done a good job and I don't know why he would leave at this stage. Burnley are a big club with a terrific base of support."

Cotterill, upset by the £1.75 million sale of leading marksman Ade Akinbiyi to Sheffield United last week, signed Michael Ricketts yesterday on loan from Leeds until the end of the season.

McGhee is relieved that Akinbiyi, on target against Albion for Burnley and Stoke last term, is no longer spearheading the visitors' attack.

"He's gone because he is one of their better players, if not their best player, this season," said McGhee. "When we play any team and their best players are missing it gives us a little bit more of a chance, so it's good that he's gone, but I still expect it to be a very difficult game.

"Steve knows about Withdean and he'll have no fears about bringing his team here."

Joe Gatting's chances of being involved tonight have been jeopardised by a calf muscle injury. The prolific youth and reserve team striker made his second senior appearance as a substitute in Albion's last outing at Sheffield United ten days ago.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/sport/SPORT0.html

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Its not just our facilities. Its the fact that we have a fair chance of playing league 1 football next season which would put most players of the quality mentioned in the Argus report off straight away.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
What happened to that Polish dude? Did he sign for Derby? Any chance of getting him down here now that Brown has been sacked?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I am assuming the article in the Argus means that we will have no new signings today then.

Relegation here we come.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bwian said:

This is obviously the situation and we all know that.

What frustrates me is that if someone expresses an opinion on here about who we have missed out on and expresses dissapointment, they are immediatly jumped on by the " DK can do no wrong clique" as being disloyal.

I wish some of you people would just take your blinkers off for one moment and see that all is not rosy in the garden and appreciate that there are people like Dwayne, ernire etc etc who care passionatly about the club as you do, but who question the club, unlike you.

Bwian , this is not aimed at you, your post just made sense to use as a quote.

MM has tried tro get payers in, that there is no doubt. Its a shame we dopnt know why they turned us down...is it the Withdean factor, Mcghee or we are not prepared to pay decent wages...certainly there was an impasse with Henderson over financial matters!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Superseagull said:
Its not just our facilities. Its the fact that we have a fair chance of playing league 1 football next season which would put most players of the quality mentioned in the Argus report off straight away.

I'm not quite sure why League 1 would affect players who were only coming on loan till the end of the season ?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Its posts like Dwaynes, which are the most depressing. We knew the story before the season started and we will continue to struggle for probably the next 2 or so seasons, well at least until the sorry saga of the stadium is finally put to rest (Thanks a lot LDC).

McGhee is doing a decent enough job on what we have. Coppell got us relegated, none of the other managers have kept us in the Championship, and so to be fair McGhee is ranking the highest.

If some of the people on here could show as much passion getting behind the team on match days as they do griping then we’d be better off than we are now.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Caveman said:
. Coppell got us relegated, none of the other managers have kept us in the Championship, and so to be fair McGhee is ranking .

Coppell started with a loss of 12 games on the bounce and came within a whisker of keeping us up...in fact if results had gone our way on the last Saturday of the season we would have stayed up!!! Secondly, it was Coppells team that Mcghee took up. So much so that Ingmarrsen etc buggered off to Reading and play for Coppell rather that playing for Mcghee.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We're screwed for players, gonna have to rely on f***ing determination now.

If only McGhee could have got on with Knight for a few more months.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
dave the gaffer said:
MM has tried tro get payers in, that there is no doubt. Its a shame we dopnt know why they turned us down...is it the Withdean factor, Mcghee or we are not prepared to pay decent wages...certainly there was an impasse with Henderson over financial matters!

I'd say the Withdean factor and wages. If we could offer a decent stadium and wages, I doubt MM would be the stumbling block for players coming to us.

I have to say that it's not looking too good at the moment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

If only McGhee could have got on with Knight for a few more months.

We'd have still had the problem of Knight not getting on with other players....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here