Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downtime next week [Apple content] - iPad 3/HD day today!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Surely the club will postpone the Cardiff game now. The Amex will be empty if not. Sent from my beautiful iPhone 4

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OK then, so what can we expect with the ipad 3? Any ideas?

Better display (twice the resolution) and faster CPU are the gimmes.

A hike in an already overpriced, over hyped piece of kit.

Is it? Is it really? Curious how the other tablet manufacturers can not compete with the iPad on price until, when faced with poor sales, they slash the price to try and shift some units.

Even a Samsung exec, only today, conceded their tablets - widely acknowledged as the next best to the iPad - had been massive flops thus far.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is it? Is it really? Curious how the other tablet manufacturers can not compete with the iPad on price until, when faced with poor sales, they slash the price to try and shift some units.

Even a Samsung exec, only today, conceded their tablets - widely acknowledged as the next best to the iPad - had been massive flops thus far.

Dyson have owned the bagless (and) vacuum market ever since they were the originators and had a two year sabbatical on the patent. Vacuum cleaners are pretty much know as Dyson's now as opposed to Hoovers as was affectionately known to everyone instead of the Vac. Whether there are better bagless machines out there now, and cheaper, will not dent the sales on the leading product in its market. I don't for one minute disagree that the tablet market is the domain of the iPad, but a lot is vanity buy as opposed to knowing/needing the product. They therefore artificially hold their prices high knowing they will still be the top selling product. The fact that Samsung dropped their price shows the ridiculously high profit margins these companies are making from the end user.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Better display (twice the resolution) and faster CPU are the gimmes.

I read somewhere that Apple are able to offer their ipads at such prices as they buy shit loads of components in bulk at a good price as they KNOW they will sell. The others should give up really. They can't compete!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I read somewhere that Apple are able to offer their ipads at such prices as they buy shit loads of components in bulk at a good price as they KNOW they will sell. The others should give up really. They can't compete!

All true - they are now the biggest buyer of semiconductors in the world: Apple biggest semiconductor consumer in 2011 as iPhone, iPad gobble chips - SlashGear

They have nearly $100bn in cash so they can forward buy vast quantities of all components to a level no-one else can compete with.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
iPad 2'S' anyone? I seem to remember the hype over an iPhone 5 a little while back, and we got the 4'S'.

Hope it is a 3 though, might have to treat myself to an upgrade.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
OK then, so what can we expect with the ipad 3? Any ideas?
I think that there will be a big bright shiny "3" sticker in the place where there was a slightly smaller, less bright and shiny "1" and "2" sticker.

P.S. I believe that Microsoft are to stop supporting XP in 2014, so you've al got plenty of time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
wow and just think how amazing it would be if it included ground breaking innovations like an SD card slot.

With Windows 8 tablet OS imminent you might expect some changes eventually to iPad (version 4?) like SD card slots, maybe regular storage abilities! Maybe a more OSy OS, but knowing apple, for any of those things they introduce, they'll also chuck in something brand new too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dyson have owned the bagless (and) vacuum market ever since they were the originators and had a two year sabbatical on the patent. Vacuum cleaners are pretty much know as Dyson's now as opposed to Hoovers as was affectionately known to everyone instead of the Vac. Whether there are better bagless machines out there now, and cheaper, will not dent the sales on the leading product in its market. I don't for one minute disagree that the tablet market is the domain of the iPad, but a lot is vanity buy as opposed to knowing/needing the product. They therefore artificially hold their prices high knowing they will still be the top selling product. The fact that Samsung dropped their price shows the ridiculously high profit margins these companies are making from the end user.

Some people like to buy their products from the innovators and creative minds that put the R&D into bringing great ideas to the market place. For that, they sometimes accept paying a premium. Other people like to wait to buy similar products, developed more cheaply (as they are copying rather than developing), from other manufacturers whose long term product development may not extend beyond the very product they have at that moment. If you drop your price you do as you say drop your profit. If you drop your profit you have less money to invest in new product development. Apple's profits enable them to create, innovate and develop. It always has done. You do not stay a market leader for as long as they have without making profits.

Apple have continuously developed original ideas that haven't necessarily originated with them, but often from companies that simply didn't see any value in them, or were not prepared to invest in their development. The original mouse is a prime example of this. Hewlett Packard had the proto-types in their creative labs, but no one knew what to do with it, or didn't want to chuck any money at it. It was Apple who took the risk, made the development investment, and revolutionised the way we interact with the computer.

Examples stretch through an extraordinary history. Is it a vanity buy? Partly, but it is also an investment into a company whose ethos has been to innovate, and ultimately improve how we interact with technology. There is a joy in the way Apple have looked at a holistic approach to our complete interaction with technology through the design of the interfaces, the software and the hardware.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
I'm going on holiday to the States at the end of next month. Anyone had any experience of buying an ipad over the pond? Where is the best place to buy? What sort of price am i looking at? What's the chance of getting nabbed for duty payment on the way back into Blighty?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
wow and just think how amazing it would be if it included ground breaking innovations like an SD card slot.

Ground breaking innovations from 2001!!!!

With Windows 8 tablet OS imminent you might expect some changes eventually to iPad (version 4?) like SD card slots, maybe regular storage abilities! Maybe a more OSy OS, but knowing apple, for any of those things they introduce, they'll also chuck in something brand new too.

Yes, stick some 10 year old card technology into a brand new product! What the hell do you need a SD card slot for when there are bluetooth multiple card readers all over the market at less that £20!? Pointless. Lets add an extra 10mm depth to it so we can get some USB points in there, maybe a thunderbolt too.....or keep it the beautiful sleek designed object that is a joy to hold and use!

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
When Apple launch their TV......which will likely be as interactive and voice operated as the new iPhone.......quite frankly the rest might as well pack up and not bother....to see how the markets feel about Apple, check out the share price and see what they've done......even in the last couple of months.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm going on holiday to the States at the end of next month. Anyone had any experience of buying an ipad over the pond? Where is the best place to buy? What sort of price am i looking at? What's the chance of getting nabbed for duty payment on the way back into Blighty?

Your only issue buying will be if demand is so hot that they sell out as soon as they hit the store shelves - a distinct possibility. If you can be flexible about what model you get you might have more of a chance.

Head to the Apple store.

Throw the packaging away and you'll not get stung. Put the packaging in your suitcase and you'll almost certainly be OK too.

Current pricing examples are $499, $599 and $699 for what is £399, £479 and £559 here so you make a pretty decent saving. The pricing structure may change with the new model, although I wouldn't expect too much movement.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Ground breaking innovations from 2001!!!!

Yes, stick some 10 year old card technology into a brand new product! What the hell do you need a SD card slot for when there are bluetooth multiple card readers all over the market at less that £20!? Pointless. Lets add an extra 10mm depth to it so we can get some USB points in there, maybe a thunderbolt too.....or keep it the beautiful sleek designed object that is a joy to hold and use!

Er, what? A micro SD card would be a joy to me on my iPad, what the f*** do I want to piss about with a bluetooth card reader that I'd have to remember to keep with me, and remember to charge up, I just want an extra load of storage for movies and music, on board, on my iPad, is that so much to ask? It would hardly impact in the slightest as to the dimensions of an ipad2. I Didn't ask for USB ports either,there is a port on my iPad, on the bottom, plugs in lovely to my computer (iMac). the new iPad is rumoured to be thicker than The current one, any idea why would that be? As an owner of the original iPad, and the iPad 2, 2 incarnations of the iMac, as well as several ipods and an iPhone, you are speaking to a convert, but one who thinks apple have it wrong for not including removable storage on the iPad.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`ve got 430 quid to spend on either a laptop or a ipad. what do I do ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here