Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dominic Cummings v H&SC and S&T select committees *Official Match Thread*

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And all of that is 100% correct, but isn't what I was talking about. Namely that for lying to a select committee someone can (in theory) be sent to jail.

I'm sure DC is aware of that so once he produces the evidence, the shit will hit the fan and Hancock's appearance in a couple of weeks will be very interesting!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cummings has made himself unemployable.

It’s really quite the opposite.

Any news is good news and he is now headline news. As I said before, he’ll earn (at least) an annual six figure sum for the rest of his days. You have no concept of the money the media can earn on the back of his stories, no concept at all. If he wasn’t a millionaire yesterday, he will be by next week.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Interesting to see fact checkers not disputing the core of what Cummings is saying, and also how much of it echoes what anyone who ignored government spin, or who followed the Good Law Project etc suspected at the time too. Unfortunately I don't think it'll change a thing though.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was one of those suggesting that and I stand by it.

A man disregarding the rules he cooked up gave everyone else a free pass to ignore them as well.

He was a devious snake then, he's a devious snake now.
No. He WAS a devious snake. NOW he is to be completely trusted and right about everything. Quite how you tell the difference I don't know.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Interesting fellow Cummings. As a fully fledged believer in left of centre liberalism, i have grown to admire him. I mean, he's obviously a c*nt, but so much of what he says makes sense. A bigger role for science in decision making, for example. He had a determination to effect change, but kept running up against the Westminster machine.

He is also the only person i have ever heard make a defendable argument for Brexit, no-one else on the Brexit side ever said a single thing that made me think it might be a good idea. But Cummings did.

His political career is likely over, and it's a shame that his big success may be the one thing he wasn't truly bothered about.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I do. You just look at the stuff Johnson has denied in PMQs. Very very little.

Easy to do when you have little or now accountability for the outcome of your decisions. I didn't like Cummings when he was in power, and have no doubt he was in a position of serious power, because he's a devious snake operating by his own rules whatever the consequences. He may be saying all the things I want to be hearing now, but he is without a doubt still a devious snake and he's not to be trusted whichever party is your team.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Listening to this you would think we were only European country that made mistakes. France and Italy will end up with more deaths than UK and Germany and Spain will be 100k plus Even Belgium will have more deaths per mil pop

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If true this is all quite damming, however do you believe a man we spent a year calling a liar?

Sending people back to care homes with covid is a disgrace and the main reason we have such a high death toll.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Interesting fellow Cummings. As a fully fledged believer in left of centre liberalism, i have grown to admire him. I mean, he's obviously a c*nt, but so much of what he says makes sense. A bigger role for science in decision making, for example. He had a determination to effect change, but kept running up against the Westminster machine.

He is also the only person i have ever heard make a defendable argument for Brexit, no-one else on the Brexit side ever said a single thing that made me think it might be a good idea. But Cummings did.

His political career is likely over, and it's a shame that his big success may be the one thing he wasn't truly bothered about.

Sorry, but I won't regret seeing him leave the political stage; the same goes for Johnson. They have both undermined the already damaged integrity of political debate by constant lying. It would be fitting if Cummings single-handedly brought both Johnson (and himself) down.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Listening to this you would think we were only European country that made mistakes. France and Italy will end up with more deaths than UK and Germany and Spain will be 100k plus Even Belgium will have more deaths per mil pop

Pretty much this, an over used word this year has been unprecedented...
this pandemic is unprecedented, it could be 5 years before we discover if the UK comes out of this well or appallingly. Did the UK Government make mistakes? undoubtedly,did the UK Government get things right, ie vaccine rollout? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was one of those suggesting that and I stand by it.

A man disregarding the rules he cooked up gave everyone else a free pass to ignore them as well.

He was a devious snake then, he's a devious snake now.

If I know of countless people who disregarded guidelines, particularly over the festive period but also throughout this whole, difficult period, then many of you out there know the same. Too many people in this country were not prepared to make sacrifices and refused to compromise their lifestyles. Private parties took place all over the country. Students made no effort to socially distance, considering themselves bullet-proof. People have continued to flount masking regulations, many pretending to have health issues. People have travelled when they shouldn't and haven't followed any quarantine guidelines. Its a...Fck you....attitude....If they can do it, so can I. Sure the government made mistakes, like governments all over the world made mistakes, trying to rectify a monumental mistake made by a few Chinese scientists, that was initially covered up before global pressure embarrassed them into some sort of confession. What made our government's job harder was the attitude of some high profile people and a whole sector of our society who stuck two fingers up to this virus and refused to take it seriously.
Cummings showed an arrogance and insensitivity that was a green light to disregard government advice and do what you like. That was unforgiveable from someone so close to the seat of power. Sadly, there will be some who won't take the time to separate the truth from the half truth from the downright lies and will relish the opportunity to politically point score. Nothing changes.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
a monumental mistake made by a few Chinese scientists, that was initially covered up before global pressure embarrassed them into some sort of confession.

What's all this? Did I miss something?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If I know of countless people who disregarded guidelines, particularly over the festive period but also throughout this whole, difficult period, then many of you out there know the same. Too many people in this country were not prepared to make sacrifices and refused to compromise their lifestyles. Private parties took place all over the country. Students made no effort to socially distance, considering themselves bullet-proof. People have continued to flount masking regulations, many pretending to have health issues. People have travelled when they shouldn't and haven't followed any quarantine guidelines. Its a...Fck you....attitude....If they can do it, so can I. Sure the government made mistakes, like governments all over the world made mistakes, trying to rectify a monumental mistake made by a few Chinese scientists, that was initially covered up before global pressure embarrassed them into some sort of confession. What made our government's job harder was the attitude of some high profile people and a whole sector of our society who stuck two fingers up to this virus and refused to take it seriously.
Cummings showed an arrogance and insensitivity that was a green light to disregard government advice and do what you like. That was unforgiveable from someone so close to the seat of power. Sadly, there will be some who won't take the time to separate the truth from the half truth from the downright lies and will relish the opportunity to politically point score. Nothing changes.

ALL of this.

Covid cases are on the rise in the North West, yet 2000+ Manchester United fans have travelled to Poland for the Europa League final 'because they can' on the proviso that they Self Isolate at home on their return...

The actual number of Manchester Untied supporters who will actually Self Isolate at home on their return will be about errr, zero, I should imagine.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Pretty much this, an over used word this year has been unprecedented...
this pandemic is unprecedented, it could be 5 years before we discover if the UK comes out of this well or appallingly. Did the UK Government make mistakes? undoubtedly,did the UK Government get things right, ie vaccine rollout? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Point of order... The vaccine task force led by Kate Bingham - not no.10 or the department of health led the vaccine roll out. It's such a success because it was kept away from no.10, its cabinet and most importantly the department of health. As Cummings has stated before, if the smoking ruin that is the department of health had had anything to do with it, it'd probably have failed much like track and trace.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I find it difficult to argue with that. I have posted before about the selfishness of the mask dodgers, the refusal of M&S to shut non essential retail, and of the frustration that the authorities, having introduced the rules, did nothing to ensure they were properly policed and enforced and the miscreants punished.

I'm sure many more people would go robbing if they knew that nobody would be interested in trying to catch them.

Many of the covid rules and laws were deemed important enough to introduce to stop the spread of the virus but once it became apparent that there would be no sanctions for not complying, there was, for many, no incentive to comply.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Point of order... The vaccine task force led by Kate Bingham - not no.10 or the department of health led the vaccine roll out. It's such a success because it was kept away from no.10, its cabinet and most importantly the department of health. As Cummings has stated before, if the smoking ruin that is the department of health had had anything to do with it, it'd probably have failed much like track and trace.

Point of order.

My theory on track and trace is the fact that many folk either didn't bother, or used the name M.Mouse/D.Duck when going anywhere.

They're spying on me, you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here