Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone think we might be close to a revolution?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
firstly, what plastic bullets? bit of false memory starting there.

I'm glad it wasn't only me that couldn't remember them being deployed. I know the police had the option but decided not to take it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If I may pop my two cents in...

I genuinely believe we could be. When the riots first started on the Saturday up in Tottenham, I remember watching it on the tele, seeing the demonstrators pounding the Police with all sorts of weaponry, and sat there - as bad as it sounds - getting a touch excited, thinking we could be about to see things take off to show those who oppress the youngsters and working classes in this country that we've had enough. Had they (the Police) killed someone with those rubber bullets, I do think all Hell would have broken loose.
Instead, sadly, but yet a damming showing of this country's attitudes, it just turned to yoofs and chavs trying to fulfill their materialistic lusts and take all they can, destroying their communities in the process. By the end the ***** didn't care who they hurt, only caring about the PS3 they picked up.

But, certainly around my way, there is a tension bubbling under. People, particularly my age - late teens - are sick of being oppressed - no jobs, higher taxes, no banks giving loans to allow us to start up (own homes, cars etc), police treating us like muck.

I do genuinely believe it could take one little incident, one flashpoint, and the frustration and anger will come out. I just hope to f***ing God it doesn't turn into the same thieving little shits trying to line their pockets as happened in August, if there is another set of demo's in this country, that it MEANS something.

Oppressed? Bloody hell....What I'd like to see is people being taught by their parents to walk on their own two bloody feet. Why on earth do so many young people believe its their god given right to be given a free ride into anything, having dossed around at school for the start of their lives, to expect the police to go easy on them if they decide to set fire to a town that many other people have to live in too. Walk into a job? Sod off, I had to work my arse off to get where I am, no gap year, no car from my parents, no mobile phone or ipod or whatever...There are jobs out there - and sometimes you have to do stuff you don't really want to do, I sold hot dogs at the half way house of the local golf course from 6am Saturday mornings for a few years - would I have chosen that given the choice?. Get over yourselves and get on with it.

Rioting and demonstrations? To get what you want and make a point? Grow up! Use those legs, get a haircut, put down your phone/ipod/laptop and get on with it.

I spent loads of time with my grandparents through my teens, and my Pop reminded me time and again how easy I had it compared to his day, he had to work to help his parents - heaven forbid! I don't think enough young people have the family structure anymore to be reminded of this.

edited to add - this isn't just aimed at you but in yoof in general...

Last edited:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Often wondered why us younger folk (21 is still young right?) get a bit of a pasting on NSC. After reading this thread I understand why.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oppressed? Bloody hell....What I'd like to see is people being taught by their parents to walk on their own two bloody feet. Why on earth do so many young people believe its their god given right to be given a free ride into anything, having dossed around at school for the start of their lives, to expect the police to go easy on them if they decide to set fire to a town that many other people have to live in too. Walk into a job? Sod off, I had to work my arse off to get where I am, no gap year, no car from my parents, no mobile phone or ipod or whatever...There are jobs out there - and sometimes you have to do stuff you don't really want to do, I sold hot dogs at the half way house of the local golf course from 6am Saturday mornings for a few years - would I have chosen that given the choice?. Get over yourselves and get on with it.

Rioting and demonstrations? To get what you want and make a point? Grow up! Use those legs, get a haircut, put down your phone/ipod/laptop and get on with it.

I spent loads of time with my grandparents through my teens, and my Pop reminded me time and again how easy I had it compared to his day, he had to work to help his parents - heaven forbid! I don't think enough young people have the family structure anymore to be reminded of this.

Are you an Australian Norman Tebbit ? Completely agree with every word though :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But, certainly around my way, there is a tension bubbling under. People, particularly my age - late teens - are sick of being oppressed - no jobs, higher taxes, no banks giving loans to allow us to start up (own homes, cars etc)

Can you explain exactly how you are being oppressed? Which are these higher taxes that you pay?

You think you are being oppressed because the bank wont lend you a shit load of money so you can buy cars and houses? Listen to what you are saying!

I think perhaps you need to look up the word 'oppressed' or maybe go and visit somewhere where the people really are oppressed.

You have it easier than your parents did at your age, and far easier than their parents did.

It is laughable isn't it? People in Tibet set themselves on fire in protest at Chinese repression and occupation. The Lady spends 15 years under house arrest, during which time her husband dies and she can not attend the funeral, to protest the oppression of the Burmese people by a military junta which routinely shoots people. Mandela spent 27 years on Robben Island to try to get liberation for his people from a racist regime.

And Holmesdale_Lad thinks the teenagers in this country will have a revolution because they can't get a f***ing bank loan. Some revolutionary slogan that will be.

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR INABILITY TO GET A BANK LOAN AND MORTGAGE.

That'll bring 'em flocking to the barricades I'll bet. And who says todays youth are out of touch with reality?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
My twopennyworth? Falmer, mate, use NSC to talk/find out about the Albion and football in general, it's great for that, don't bother discussing politics on message boards, use the internet to inform yourself (UK Indymedia is a good place to start) and then off the computer, get out and get involved in the campaigns and activities you most identify with, talk/argue with people in the flesh.....that's where it counts! We aren't approaching a revolution but, as with the dawning realisation that the only way we were going to save the Albion was by direct action and not trusting the 'owners' of the club, more and more people who never really thought about 'politics' before are now realising they are been royally shafted by a, literally, bankrupt economic system and are prepared to stand up and be counted. Best of luck. Oh, and I'm 54, for what it's worth :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
At least when i was a teenager in the 70s technology limited the scope of my 'making a prat of myself' to West St and surrounding areas :thumbsup:

There's is a cracking comunity owned pub called the Nags Head where we sometimes go. It is also where several of teh chaps I was with at the last giog in REading gop before games, one of whom now owns and runs a brewery. I'll give you a shout closer to the day when I am sure which poubs are open.

Sep 28, 2011
You've never been in one I guess. They are fun, I was in Trafalgar Square for the poll tax, and I have also been present at a few others - often after punk gigs (mainly Conflict of course) but they are definately not the precursor to revolution. Most people who rioted in those days, and those who rioted recently, went home afterwards turned on their tellys and had something to eat. Then they went to bed and slept in a nice warm bed. Those are not the catalysts that lead to revolution I assure you.

Take away the food for a week and you will see real violence in the streets but all the authorities would need to do to stop any rioting would be to give out free food on the 3rd day. You will all take it, go home and switch on the playstation - I promise you.

That may be true for the vast majority, but I think they'd find some, including myself, won't be bough quite so easily.

Sep 28, 2011
firstly, what plastic bullets? bit of false memory starting there.

this tells us alot about our current society and how far we are from revolution when people thinkg they are being oppressed due to lack of jobs, high taxes and no bank loans to buy houses and cars. we had a flash point right there in Tottenham, you dont even mention the original cause (ppolice shooting a local chap), it was all about the violent consumerism.

Fairly sure, apologies if I'm incorrect, but on the 3rd night, when it all calmed down, they were walking around with them, planning on using them - not saying they did, but if they did, could've gone off.

I know why it started, chap. Although I don't feel the shooting was the reason, reason for the original protest yes, but not for the riot following it - more just kids seeing their chance to strike.

That may be true for the vast majority, but I think they'd find some, including myself, won't be bough quite so easily.

Your compaint is

Holmesdale_Lad said:
are sick of being oppressed - no jobs, higher taxes, no banks giving loans to allow us to start up (own homes, cars etc), police treating us like muck

One of your main reasons for 'revolution' is that you don't have a bank giving you a loan. And you say you will not be bought off? Don't make me laugh.

At least when I was your age the punks I knew were fighting for something other than selfish greed. Selfish greed by it's very nature will NEVER start a revolution. Revolutions of any kind always start for ostensibly altruistic purposes, NOT for a f***ing bank loan.

Sep 28, 2011

I certainly don't feel I have a God-given right to walk into anything, I've always been one to work hard to create my own opportunities - never exactly been blessed with huge amounts of brainpower, although certainly far from thick, all I did when in school was far from 'doss around', working my arse off to ensure I did as good as I can. Yes, a few youngers like to piss around, but all the ones I know at least put their all into their lives just to try and get a break. Even chances to be the bloke selling the hot dogs aren't there anymore.

I used a bad example with the bank loan thing, but my point remains - we're treated like shit by employers - the amount of times I've heard 'you need more experience' - well I won't get it without a job you dick.
Police treat everyone who walks outside in a hoody like scum - I can't even walk to the shop to buy a box of fags without the coppers asking what I'm up to.
When I'm in Bexleyheath at 3pm, there's more coppers outside checking the schoolkids get on the bus then there are in the early hours of a Saturday morning when everyone's staggering out the pubs. They want it to be a case of see a hi-vis jacket, shit yourself, and for most that's how it is.
Chances to move away from mummy and daddys house and fend for yourself are impossible, I've been trying to find a flat with my gf just so I can get away from my comfort zone so I can kick-start my life and fend for myself, yet it's just impossible, rocketing house/flat prices and rents, and no income or loans to be able to pay it.

Certainly living in an inner-city estate you genuinely can feel the tension rising, I'd love to see something take off, just to show we won't be f***ed around anymore.

BTW I have a one all over, no hair to take off chief :bigwave:

Sep 28, 2011
Your compaint is

One of your main reasons for 'revolution' is that you don't have a bank giving you a loan. And you say you will not be bought off? Don't make me laugh.

At least when I was your age the punks I knew were fighting for something other than selfish greed. Selfish greed by it's very nature will NEVER start a revolution. Revolutions of any kind always start for ostensibly altruistic purposes, NOT for a f***ing bank loan.

Aye, that was an awful example. Really made a tit of myself with that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here