Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do I regard it as the national anthem of england? Yes, I do.
Do I like it as a national anthem? No, I don't. (musically it's a dull and miserable, lyrically it's forcing the singer to pray to a god they may not believe exists, to bestow victory/happiness/glory on one person, singing the praises of said individual, rather than the country).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I did put "most other countries", i know many that don't, including those you have mentioned.
Our home kit should be Red and White otherwise it looks a bit stupid with so much Red and White around the ground, bit like Brighton playing in Yellow at home really.
Just my opinion really.

we have played in these colours for at least living memory. Why exactly are we looking at changing it now? This is what I would like explained. no one has a decent answer. ok you can want the anthem changed as you feel it represents the UK rather than england, but even then thats missing the point of an anthem massively. god save the queen sends shivers down my spine and reminds me of of my country. jeruselem reminds me of going to cubs.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Do I regard it as the national anthem of england? Yes, I do.
Do I like it as a national anthem? No, I don't. (musically it's a dull and miserable, lyrically it's forcing the singer to pray to a god they may not believe exists, to bestow victory/happiness/glory on one person, singing the praises of said individual, rather than the country).

i dont believe in god for a minute and i know exactly how the current royal family and ruling class in britain have found themselves at the top of the pile in this country - and perhaps its not meritocratic or democratic but its still my anthem as an Englishman and someone who believes in the UK as a sound and generally honourable nation state, and overall the royal family and our sense of tradition is better for this country in terms of social cohesion than this current push towards balkanisation based on the ethnic separatism of the more vocal of the celtic fringes.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
we have played in these colours for at least living memory. Why exactly are we looking at changing it now? This is what I would like explained. no one has a decent answer. ok you can want the anthem changed as you feel it represents the UK rather than england, but even then thats missing the point of an anthem massively. god save the queen sends shivers down my spine and reminds me of of my country. jeruselem reminds me of going to cubs.

We won the World Cup final in 1966 in Red and White. We played in Red and White as long ago as 1962.....in my living memory anyway.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Personally, I would like to see us try red and white as our home colours, as it better reflects the colours of the flag and gives a nod to the greatest triumph of the national side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
i dont believe in god for a minute and i know exactly how the current royal family and ruling class in britain have found themselves at the top of the pile in this country - and perhaps its not meritocratic or democratic but its still my anthem as an Englishman and someone who believes in the UK as a sound and generally honourable nation state, and overall the royal family and our sense of tradition is better for this country in terms of social cohesion than this current push towards balkanisation based on the ethnic separatism of the more vocal of the celtic fringes.

My problem isn't with the monarchy, it's simply I believe a national anthem should be about the nation not an individual.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, the fans sure wanted that didn't they. A foreign owner decided, not the supporters.

I know that. I wasn't continuing the argument, it just seemed to be an appropriate moment to indulge in a bit of schadenfreude at the expense of Cardiff City.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
My problem isn't with the monarchy, it's simply I believe a national anthem should be about the nation not an individual.

head of state. an individual. the queen is my head of state, unlike brown blair or cameron. the day these fellas are head of state for the UK is the day i ship out

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing with traditions is that, although they can only be established by consistent application, somewhere down the line they had to be invented.

Most Brighton fans would prefer blue shorts but that we've only had them since 1972. England could certainly go the other way, and replace the blue/navy shorts with white ones, and if consistently applied, it will be that which will feel like 'traditional England colours.'

Whether we could switch to red and white would be harder but, I think, more popular with supporters than Cardiff City's switch to those colours. I get the impression if we did it, after a few years, people would be wondering why it took us so long to switch to our 'natural' colours.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh, and 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet should be our national anthem. Seriously.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes i know. As stated i think it should be the home kit. Would match the flags around the stadium.

the flags that come out in 1996. i grew up with the union jack at england games and god save the queen. this is all brand new this st georges cross and wanting a new anthem. sorry but its brand new made up traditions due to devolution.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the flags that come out in 1996. i grew up with the union jack at england games and god save the queen. this is all brand new this st georges cross and wanting a new anthem. sorry but its brand new made up traditions due to devolution.

I blame family friendly football and face painting. The St George's cross is way easier than the Union Jack.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I blame family friendly football and face painting. The St George's cross is way easier than the Union Jack.

haha thats true - even the libertines those uber-patriots managed to get the union jack upside down on here yesterday.

even the germans managed to retain their national anthem after the shame of the worst genocide in human history and shoving children into gas chambers- we shouldnt be embarassed to save ours after defeating fascism

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Yes i know.
At the Commonwealth Games next year England will be competing in Red and White, of course the UJ will not be our flag because we will be competing against the other British teams. So England supporters will be displaying the COSG, same as Scotland supporters will be flying the Saltire and the Welsh fans their national flag, Y Ddraig Goch.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
please please dont anyone else say its a dirge. does anyone ever use the word dirge apart from online discussions about a new national anthem. when everyone seems obliged to. its a) boring and b) irrelevant - its not the x factor.

keep god save the queen. what are we ****ing yugoslavia? adopting different flags and anthems just because some chippy scots get a vote and some taffs get a glorified town council. what a bunch of insecure bedwetters we are turning into.

god save the queen is the anthem i grew up with, is known world wide and instantly associated with britain (and generally, outside, that means england also, stuff the rest of them), and i am not having someone pressing to change it to a church hymn just because England is going through a massive identity crisis and there is an anti devolution backlash.

funny how the English pride themselves on tradition and currently we seem hell bent on tearing them all up.

changing anthems and flags are for former colonies and nations borne of war and trauma. Leave it alone and be proud of your history. dont try to re write it or re invent ourselves. we are making ourselves a laughing stock.

as for republicans you are in a massive minority in England to the point of total irrelevance. No one cares about tugging their forelock to a monarch when thye hear GSTQ, to think its oppresive or reinforcing inherited privilege, or some other nonsense is just rhubarb. its just the national anthem, no one thinks its some sort of prayer.

Can you provide some evidence that we are a massive minority?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here