Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I wish they would just stop playing national anthems ahead of international matches. Lends nothing to the experience and it's also embarrassing when the opposition's anthem is roundly booed by the home team.

Never going to happen though.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
And as regard's God Save the Queen, I believe Bill Bailey described it thus...

"Why would we invoke a non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers?"

Ha!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And as regard's God Save the Queen, I believe Bill Bailey described it thus...

"Why would we invoke a non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers?"

Ha!

Exactly. I'm sure she's a pleasant old lady, but she's a long way down the list of people I'd like God to save, if indeed He or She exists.

And it's such a dreary tune. It's kind of funny at the NFL games in London after some Yank has belted out The Star-Spangled Banner, which has a great melody, Katharine Jenkins or some equally unfortunate singer has to try to make God Save The Queen sound equally stirring and dramatic. And it can't possibly be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, its a horrible meaningless dirge. Not keen on Jerusalem (its in Israel last time I looked), Land of Hope and Glory (miss-placed hope and unrealistic expectation, more like).

Personally I'd plump for something new. As long as its not written by Andrew 'big cock' Lloyd Webber, who is clearly part-welsh, part pack animal.

Can we ask Massive Attack to write it? Or Edward Ka-Spel? Or Arthur Brown? Or Eyeless in Gaza? Or David Bowie. Or . . . . FFS there are dozens of people who could write a smashing national anthem! Let's have a national competition!

Won't happen, though, will it? Sigh.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wish they would just stop playing national anthems ahead of international matches. Lends nothing to the experience and it's also embarrassing when the opposition's anthem is roundly booed by the home team.

Never going to happen though.

I've always thought that the Premier League ahould have club songs before games as the players line up before the handshakes. So Liverpool could sing You'll Never Walk Alone (and we'd get to see how many of the players don't know the words), Chelsea Blue Is The Colour, Everton can whistle the Z-Cars theme et cetera.

But I must admit my enthusiasm for the idea waned when Charlton left the top flight. I so wanted to see 11 overpaid Premier League muppets crooning "When the red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbing along..." and still trying to look hard and cool.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I feel quite patriotic when I hear GSTQ played as winners on a rostrum etc but would go with Land of Hope and Glory based on it being a more rousing tune but can't understand why anybody should consider Jerusalem.

Time for change as GSTQ is the British anthem. Not allowed to play it in Cup Finals if the Welsh make the final.
Not so, shirley?

When I went to Wembley to watch Newport County beat Wrexham in last season's Conference play-off final, they played GSTQ - to allow supporters of BOTH teams to boo it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
GSTQ is basically a protestant anthem

I'm a royalist and still like the idea of a Great Britain

I love it when England beat Scotland,but would cheer on Rangers over say Arsenal for instance

think back to the Falklands War and what happened to the Welsh Guards on the Sir Galahad,we all stood together

but the world is changing,it's time England has it's own unique anthem

Land of Hope and Glory is about the best candidate

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Jerusalem isnt about Jerusalem though, is it. There arent many dark satanic mills there,or Englands green and pleasant land to be fair. I personally wouldnt like Land of Hope and glory, always thought it was the Tory party anthem.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
It's always sung/played too quick or too slow but GSTQ still ours... and very British... and very goosepimply

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here