Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

Stumpy Tim

as for republicans you are in a massive minority in England to the point of total irrelevance. No one cares about tugging their forelock to a monarch when thye hear GSTQ, to think its oppresive or reinforcing inherited privilege, or some other nonsense is just rhubarb. its just the national anthem, no one thinks its some sort of prayer.

20% of England are republicans, hardly an irrelevant minority. Roughly the same percentage who voted Lib Dem, and they're in power.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
please please dont anyone else say its a dirge. does anyone ever use the word dirge apart from online discussions about a new national anthem. when everyone seems obliged to. its a) boring and b) irrelevant - its not the x factor.

keep god save the queen. what are we ****ing yugoslavia? adopting different flags and anthems just because some chippy scots get a vote and some taffs get a glorified town council. what a bunch of insecure bedwetters we are turning into.

god save the queen is the anthem i grew up with, is known world wide and instantly associated with britain (and generally, outside, that means england also, stuff the rest of them), and i am not having someone pressing to change it to a church hymn just because England is going through a massive identity crisis and there is an anti devolution backlash.

funny how the English pride themselves on tradition and currently we seem hell bent on tearing them all up.

changing anthems and flags are for former colonies and nations borne of war and trauma. Leave it alone and be proud of your history. dont try to re write it or re invent ourselves. we are making ourselves a laughing stock.

as for republicans you are in a massive minority in England to the point of total irrelevance. No one cares about tugging their forelock to a monarch when thye hear GSTQ, to think its oppresive or reinforcing inherited privilege, or some other nonsense is just rhubarb. its just the national anthem, no one thinks its some sort of prayer.

Good post

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I've always hated GSTQ.
It's a real dirge of a national anthem & it makes me cringe that we can sing about some rich woman who owns a few large palaces and is one of the richest people in the world. The lyrics could have been written by a 6 year old.
The only thing it's got going for it is that it's short.

I Vow To Thee My Country is my favourite as it's about a country's people.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I never knew there was a Jerusalem in England?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I get the argument that it's Great Britain's song. It was published after the Union of the crowns in 1707, so has never been seen as exclusively English.

Yet I feel Jerusalem is a Christian hymn and LOHAG is not specifically English and too old fashioned with lots of thees and thous.

There's no way round it - we need a new song.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It always amazes me that they play GSTQ whe England play.

It's the national anthem of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Jerusalem or land of hope and glory for me.

:wave:

Great stirring song, luckily our rugby players know the words and can sing, same couldn't be said about the tragic football stars who feel embarrassed to sing or perhaps don't have the intellect to know the words! Its not the same with the Italians, germans or French, just the English footballers. Wear the shirt, sing the song!!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, because it is.

I'd prefer something more rousing, but we're saddled with it until the revolution.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Great stirring song, luckily our rugby players know the words and can sing, same couldn't be said about the tragic football stars who feel embarrassed to sing or perhaps don't have the intellect to know the words! Its not the same with the Italians, germans or French, just the English footballers. Wear the shirt, sing the song!!!!

"Wear the shirt, sing the song!!!!
Yep, and while we are at it the shirts/kit should be Red/White or White/Red. We often play sides at Wembley who play in Red and White, the ground is decked out in Red and White, and what colours do we play in, well not red and white very often. It would be nice to see us play in our flag colours, like most other countries (and the rest of the British teams) play in.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
"Wear the shirt, sing the song!!!!
Yep, and while we are at it the shirts/kit should be Red/White or White/Red. We often play sides at Wembley who play in Red and White, the ground is decked out in Red and White, and what colours do we play in, well not red and white very often. It would be nice to see us play in our flag colours, like most other countries (and the rest of the British teams) play in.

Northern Ireland wear green - no green in their flag.

There's loads of examples of teams that don't wear the colour of their national flag - Italy, Holland, Australia, Japan all spring to mind immediately.

I think we should wear white with dark blue shorts with a red and white away kit, like we most often have over the decades.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Northern Ireland wear green - no green in their flag.

There's loads of examples of teams that don't wear the colour of their national flag - Italy, Holland, Australia, Japan all spring to mind immediately.

I think we should wear white with dark blue shorts with a red and white away kit, like we most often have over the decades.

I did put "most other countries", i know many that don't, including those you have mentioned.
Our home kit should be Red and White otherwise it looks a bit stupid with so much Red and White around the ground, bit like Brighton playing in Yellow at home really.
Just my opinion really.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I did put "most other countries", i know many that don't, including those you have mentioned.
Our home kit should be Red and White otherwise it looks a bit stupid with so much Red and White around the ground, bit like Brighton playing in Yellow at home really.
Just my opinion really.

Or if Cardiff wore red! Imagine that!

Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here