Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
why is it nonsense?

how many national anthems can you identify?

Anyone who watches a fair bit of sport, would recognise a good number.

I'd definitely know France, Italy, USA, Russia, Spain, Brazil, Canada, Australia, Germany, for example, and I'm sure I'd recognise a load more upon hearing them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
it is widely recognised. However, I'm not sure what value that holds.

quite a lot. think of the ones you know - US, Russia, France, Germany, any more with any degree of certainty? All big hitters globally.

For most of the world England and Britain are the same thing. Scotland and Ireland are make believe countries and no ones heard of Wales. Changing the national anthem is taking our silly inter-ethnic dispute (caused by mass immigration as we all know, and still going strong over 1000 years later to the extent there is a vote on an ethnic separatist state next year, but who learns from history eh) onto the world stage and making us look fking very small time indeed.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Anyone who watches a fair bit of sport, would recognise a good number.

I'd definitely know France, Italy, USA, Russia, Spain, Brazil, Canada, Australia, Germany, for example, and I'm sure I'd recognise a load more upon hearing them.

thats nine. out of what - 200 odd? not really a pass mark in most tests

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
thats nine. out of what - 200 odd? not really a pass mark in most tests

I must REALLY be bored to respond to that, but....

You do understand the 'for example' bit?

And the bit about recognising a LOAD more, if asked to identify them on hearing them.

Anyone who watches rugby, football, F1 and most importantly, the Olympics, will know far more anthems, than they realise.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I must REALLY be bored to respond to that, but....

You do understand the 'for example' bit?

And the bit about recognising a LOAD more, if asked to identify them on hearing them.

Anyone who watches rugby, football, F1 and most importantly, the Olympics, will know far more anthems, than they realise.

no whats an example?

you do understand the concept of 'licence'?

right lets have a national anthem quiz much more entertaining than all those dull how sussex are you ones. you are gonna clean up mr kraay as you have sky sports. :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
no whats an example?

you do understand the concept of 'licence'?

right lets have a national anthem quiz much more entertaining than all those dull how sussex are you ones. you are gonna clean up mr kraay as you have sky sports. :wink:

Don't and never have had, I'm afraid. Those pesky presumptions, eh?

Always up for a good QUIZ, though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Watching the England team belt it out at Twickenham on Saturday reinforced my opinion, that even though it can be a dirge (when sung by the England football team for example) when sung with gusto it's pretty damn good and of course I regard it as my National Anthem. It's the only one I know :wink:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
God save our dying people. Not the bloody queen!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I love Flower of Scotland. Love it when it's sung at the rugby with the lone piper.

First class anthem. And it's got that bit of English needle in there. Top stuff.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
GSTQ is a fantastic anthem, known the world over. We should never have the King/Queen off our anthem until we become a Republic and that will never happen

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
head of state. an individual. the queen is my head of state, unlike brown blair or cameron. the day these fellas are head of state for the UK is the day i ship out

I dont see her or any of them (when she dies) as head of state.

To have an unelected head of state? Wow we do have something in common with North Korea.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
why is it nonsense?

how many national anthems can you identify?

Very few. That's not my point. I doubt if you played GSTQ to your average joe from Japan to Mexico, to Finland and Russia, they wouldn't have a scooby. Just like I don't know (or care) about theirs.

In fact, in answer to your question I think the French and German anthems are probably the only ones I could confidently recognise. And that's only because they have a bit of a tune to them. Doesn't look like we'll be hearing one of them next summer though :smirk:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's a shit national anthem on several levels. I hate it and want it changed, but really I don't agree with what you say there. I think The Spanish is right, it is widely recognised. However, I'm not sure what value that holds. Surely it would be better to have an anthem that resonates with an OVERWHELMING majority of English people themselves. I don't give a toss that somebody in the Ukraine knows it as the English (British) national anthem. That person in the Ukraine probably doesn't know the precise difference between England and Britain in any case.

I really don't think it is more widely known than any other anthem that represents a country like ours that is generally present at big sporting occasions. And in fact, I'd say it was less well known than the more rousing ones of other big competing countries for that precise reason. It just isn't much of a tune.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well i would imagine that these 53 countries in the Commonwealth may recognise GSTQ.

Botswana
Cameroon
Ghana
Kenya
Lesotho
Malawi
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nigeria
Rwanda
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
South Africa
Swaziland
Uganda
United Republic of Tanzania
Zambia

Bangladesh
Brunei Darussalam
India
Malaysia
Maldives
Pakistan
Singapore
Sri Lanka

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas, The
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Jamaica
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and The Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago

Australia
Fiji
Kiribati
Nauru
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu
Cyprus
Malta
United Kingdom

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
plus most of western europe, a great many americans.

its mad on here sometimes people say up is down just for the hell of it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I really don't think it is more widely known than any other anthem that represents a country like ours that is generally present at big sporting occasions. And in fact, I'd say it was less well known than the more rousing ones of other big competing countries for that precise reason. It just isn't much of a tune.

some might even say its a bit of a dirge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here