Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Can't say I'm convinced he would be/have been booed that much:

Sporting hero on the cusp of winning a record title (or at least winning more than other currently actve players).
Successful sports star v unpopular government.
A vaccine issue that has a sizable number of people on his side of the argument.
A sport that is constantly asking fans 'quiet please' so a fan base used to having to shut up.
A few early boos met with a dominant win making those booing concerned they're helping him.
The previously mentioned large serbian contingent there supporting him out of national pride

To be honest - some of those points don't stack up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the BBC this morning I think they were saying that something like 80 % of Aussies are vaccinated. That’s a pretty sizable group of people very much not on his side of the argument. As to ‘hero,’ he plays sport for money, that’s it.

Better than that.

88ACF45D-91FA-4D56-9D08-97810A88A7D2.png

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
you can get a good grip here on how useless the federal govt. is and particularly Hawke who is about as out of his depth as a dwarf going over victoria falls in a barrel.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yon Farage will be bleating about "cancel culture" again

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Possibly the rare sight of violence at a tennis event ?

And the large Croatian contingent there kicking off at them out of national pride

Maybe I've just not seen much venom from aussies on the topic. Seems a lot of the responses from australians on here are criticising the government. I saw a video of a couple of aussie newscasters talking about Djokovic and how they believe he lied and was a nasty person, but even they seemed resigned to him 'getting away with it' (beccause of government/border force screw ups) rather than angry. Maybe if I was more steeped in aussie culture I would see more anger and have a different opinion.

I'm not saying there won't be any booing. I just don't think it'll be the 'woah, it's so worth staying up into the middle of the night to watch this unfold' kind of booing.

On the BBC this morning I think they were saying that something like 80 % of Aussies are vaccinated. That’s a pretty sizable group of people very much not on his side of the argument. As to ‘hero,’ he plays sport for money, that’s it.

That's an impressive number, higher than I realised. But, it doesn't tell you why they are vaccinated, and how they feel about having had to get vaccinated. How many did so reluctantly, out of obligation - again, I'm not that steeped in the aussie experience, so dont know what sort of motivation has been applied (have people got the vaccine because they'll lose their job if they don't and have a family to provide for so don't have the power to stand up to it, but would support someone like Djokovic - with a semblence of power (name brand, money men will want him at the tournament, tv partners will want him there etc) standing up to it?

As for not a sporting hero, of course he is. Yes he plays sports for money, but he does so to an excellent elite level. Same as ronaldo. Muhammed ali. Tiger Woods. To people who love that sport, he is a shining example of success. People love watching great sports stars succeed.

I don't think every point I made is as strong as the other or that they all apply to every one. There will be some in the crowd who want to see him get that extra grand slam win. Some will support him because he opposed a government they dislike more, etc. reducing the numbers booing.

Or, as I said further up, maybe I've just not really seen the venom of the australian public on this.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Pleased but very surprised by this decision but why make it Friday evening? It does open up a further can of worms that the Govt is trying to be deliberately awkward rather than procedural.

But Novax is still wrong and still an utter bellend imo, should have the grace to accept it (knowing himself he's lied [allegedly]) and bow out.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I see Djokovic's lawyer is asking to have the same judge again...

Reading the arguments put forward by Novak’s lawyers it seems the Australian authorities could be on thin ice again. Still the timing of Hawke’s announcement all but blows Novak’s chances of being fit to compete as the hearing would be Sunday and the tournament begins Monday or Tuesday for him.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
He can still appeal and drag this whole sorry affair on for longer.

He can appeal (and has), but the available routes for actually winning that appeal are a *lot* narrower than they were first time around. Unless Hawke has made a colossal mistake, this time the Visa will remain revoked.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Had enough of all this nonsense now. My only remaining interest would be in seeing footage of him being put on a plane out of there. Kicking and screaming optional - but would be quite enjoyable.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see Djokovic's lawyer is asking to have the same judge again...

Reading the arguments put forward by Novak’s lawyers it seems the Australian authorities could be on thin ice again. Still the timing of Hawke’s announcement all but blows Novak’s chances of being fit to compete as the hearing would be Sunday and the tournament begins Monday or Tuesday for him.

According to this twitter thread https://twitter.com/rennaestubbs/status/1481926336264679427 (too many tweets to embed), the same judge is likely the only one who can rule in a timely manner. His overruling of the previous visa cancellation was on a process error that doesn't (or shouldn't) apply in this case, not on the merits of the reasoning for cancelling it. That even if he rules against the cancellation again, there is another avenue for the minister to use to cancel it. This thread makes it seem very unlikely it will be overturned.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Send him home or dont send him home; do whatever necessary to make people stop talking about tennis players. Hell, even play tennis if that would solve the real problem here.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Send him home or dont send him home; do whatever necessary to make people stop talking about tennis players. Hell, even play tennis if that would solve the real problem here.

Or you could just not come on a thread about a sport that doesn't interest you. It's easy to avoid the whole Novax saga if you want to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

... or not interested any more because it doesn't fit in with your conspiracy theory? I say this when I actually felt that he would be allowed to play as money talks/it was too "big" for them to deal with/too much fallout etc etc. But very glad to be proved wrong and that the Aussies have stuck to their "strict" border controls image.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here