Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What did he do wrong? I just watched the judge saw that he did everything that was expected of him in the process and "could have expected to stay and compete in the tournament".

It looks like the decision was made because of public order concerns, i.e. that the anti vaxers might get up and about because he is here.

I am yet to see any evidence that his exemption from vaccination was not valid.

I also haven't really seen him doing anything wrong in this process.

I also haven't seen much evidence of him being 'self entitiled' 'a ****' etc etc

I am just not getting the anger from everyone.

Whilst I have zero sympathy with him, being tortured in his hotel room during his detention was indeed a step too far.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
What did he do wrong? I just watched the judge saw that he did everything that was expected of him in the process and "could have expected to stay and compete in the tournament".

It looks like the decision was made because of public order concerns, i.e. that the anti vaxers might get up and about because he is here.

I also haven't seen much evidence of him being 'self entitiled' 'a ****' etc etc

I heard he had fish smeared over his face and rabid foxes allowed in his quarantine hotel to lick it off. I'm with
you BadFish, justice for foxes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It has been explained many times on this thread. If you are going to ignore it then of course you won’t see it. Medical panels organised by the Victoria State and Tennis Australia do not override Federal border law. An unvaccinated person can only enter Australia if they quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. It really was that easy but the tennis player’s arrogance meant he and the local authorities thought they could ignore it. They couldn’t.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Woah, lots of responses!!

Alright, it looks like I have a bit of reading to do.

If anyone can furnish me with links to this stuff I would be very grateful. It will help me in my searching.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It has been explained many times on this thread. If you are going to ignore it then of course you won’t see it. Medical panels organised by the Victoria State and Tennis Australia do not override Federal border law. An unvaccinated person can only enter Australia if they quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. It really was that easy but the tennis player’s arrogance meant he and the local authorities thought they could ignore it. They couldn’t.

To be honest I have been ignoring the whole sorry affair. Just happened to be in front of the TV as the judge was talking and gave the reason of not wanting to set the anti vaxers off. What you describe above was conspicuous by its absence in his address. I guess that when the reasons are published in writing it will become clearer.

It was also reported that the court has said that Djokovic and his people have not done anything wrong in this process. Which to me also raises questions to me.

Anyway, I am interested for a while now so will do some reading. I am sure I will be in the line to grab my pitchfork in no time :lolol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Whilst I have zero sympathy with him, being tortured in his hotel room during his detention was indeed a step too far.

For A nation who have kept their own residents under such severe lockdown measures for the last 2 years it should've been straightforward. Not double jabbed so must quarantine.

He did have a medical exception which allowed him to play in the tournament (been positive within 90 days so couldn't get a jab, despite being so public about never attempting to get one) border control were not happy.

His documentation stating he was positive on 16th Dec was either forged or showed he was willing to risk the health of others by not isolating when positive ( I personally believe it is the former) which makes him either a health risk or his exemption is invalid.

The correct outcome which should have happened last week

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest I have been ignoring the whole sorry affair. Just happened to be in front of the TV as the judge was talking and gave the reason of not wanting to set the anti vaxers off. What you describe above was conspicuous by its absence in his address. I guess that when the reasons are published in writing it will become clearer.

It was also reported that the court has said that Djokovic and his people have not done anything wrong in this process. Which to me also raises questions to me.

Anyway, I am interested for a while now so will do some reading. I am sure I will be in the line to grab my pitchfork in no time :lolol:

Read this thread from post 1. Links for reading are within posts.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
He’s confirmed he won’t appeal. So will be on a flight out of AUS asap. End of saga it seems.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Looking forward to Nigel Farage complaining about an East European being sent home :lolol:

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Based on the apparent lies over his December "positive" test result, I hope this is a career ender for him. Doesn't deserve to hold such a privileged position in Sport or Public life if he's blatantly going to lie to circumvent national laws. This is as bad if not worse, IMHO, than doping or other cheating.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The ice bucket for the champagne was that fraction of a degree too cold....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know, imagine wanting to find some actual evidence before grabbing the pitchfork :lolol:

The news story of the last few weeks, jostling for prime spot with Johnson's party culture in the UK and possibly top spot in Oz and many places but it seems to have passed you by until you see the Judge making his comments!

If you haven't been following it, why bother starting now?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Clearly he has done a bit wrong. His trip to Spain sounds dodgy but why are the Spanish government not investigating this if he didn't have the correct paper work or permissions? I can't help but wonder how he got in in the first place?

He obviously met that reporter which he has admitted as a misjudgment.

I am still interested in these three points that I heard when the decision was released:

1. That him and his people didn't do anything wrong in their applications - this seems to be at odd with the other information doing the rounds?

2. The the only evidence presented that he is an 'anti-vaxer' is a comment he made in April 2020. A statement which is not that outrageous IMHO (maybe in our current climate).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-59897918

3. That the reason his visa was cancelled was because of concerns that the anti-vaxers would kick off (the public order aspect I suppose).

I am sure it will all become clearer when the documents are released.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Still the issue to whether he will get a 3 year ban entering the country to go through yet!!

Well it comes with a standard 3-year ban but I’m sure they will reconsider that next year for the ‘23 Open.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here