Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Djokovic held at airport

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
After their PM said he wasn’t coming in, they’ve more egg on their face the England cricket team.

Huge huge political embarrassment. The most powerful man in Australia said he wasn’t coming in, but he did.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Yes, his visa’s been cancelled.

I’m not sure who looks worse here. Djokovic or Australia:(

Edit: I am however very happy that he is on his way:bigwave::clap:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bye bye Novax.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He can still appeal and drag this whole sorry affair on for longer.

I usually enjoy the open at this time of year but I am not sure I can be bothered after all this nonsense.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is embarrassing for all involved.

Indeed it is.

Novax has been shown to be a sneaky, entitled liar. The Aussie government have been shown to be incompetent, indecisive and risk making him an Anti-Vaxx Martyr.

Deary me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any appeal will be too late for him to play in the Open surely? Why would he bother?

I was quite looking forward to watching the booing and mayhem that would have surrounded his games though

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He could appeal, the hearing could be after the tournament and he could still play.

The government lawyers were no match for his last time out. I suspect they’ll serve up a convincing argument why he should stay once again.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Any appeal will be too late for him to play in the Open surely? Why would he bother?

I was quite looking forward to watching the booing and mayhem that would have surrounded his games though

I guess he's banned for three years now so if he appeals and wins he'll be able to play next year.

I expect his mother is on her way to the United Nations now, silly cow.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I guess he's banned for three years now so if he appeals and wins he'll be able to play next year.

I expect his mother is on her way to the United Nations now, silly cow.

The ban is not automatic. As to any appeal as far as I can tell there are no grounds. He broke the rules and can be deported. The only reason the Judge could find to reverse the original decision was that the immigration officials agreed to hold off on any decision until he had contacted TA at 8:30am and then cancelled it at 7:40 am . It was pretty clear to me that the judge was going to side with Novax as one of the first things he ask was if Novax had access to a tennis court and if not could immigration organise a hotel that did.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

This big time! The atmosphere would have been wonderfully poisonous.

I just happen to have tickets for Wimbledon Centre Court opening day this summer so am making up the banner and practicing my booing already :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Can't say I'm convinced he would be/have been booed that much:

Sporting hero on the cusp of winning a record title (or at least winning more than other currently actve players).
Successful sports star v unpopular government.
A vaccine issue that has a sizable number of people on his side of the argument.
A sport that is constantly asking fans 'quiet please' so a fan base used to having to shut up.
A few early boos met with a dominant win making those booing concerned they're helping him.
The previously mentioned large serbian contingent there supporting him out of national pride

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sporting hero on the cusp of winning a record title (or at least winning more than other currently actve players).
A vaccine issue that has a sizable number of people on his side of the argument.
A sport that is constantly asking fans 'quiet please' so a fan base used to having to shut up.
A few early boos met with a dominant win making those booing concerned they're helping him.
The previously mentioned large serbian contingent there supporting him out of national pride

Possibly the rare sight of violence at a tennis event ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

And the large Croatian contingent there kicking off at them out of national pride

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

On the BBC this morning I think they were saying that something like 80 % of Aussies are vaccinated. That’s a pretty sizable group of people very much not on his side of the argument. As to ‘hero,’ he plays sport for money, that’s it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here