Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disgraceful fans

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Only in football does this "state the bloody obvious" chanting go on, he was stupid, did his time and moved on. I wonder how many ex murderers,rapists and criminals are in any football crowd ? but, put a football shirt on and its ok to shout abuse and remind them of whatever they did.

Its really quite sad, and apparently its excusable because "football is a passionate game/ It's a mans game " etc. etc. I wonder if some of the chants and abuse were shouted out across a McDonalds on a saturday morning, how many would rush to cover their kids ears or take them out ?

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
I was in H Block and I have to say I didn't hear any racism, but I did find the block very cringeworthy. Lots of unfunny shouts and stupid jokes about a hit a run which sadly cost 2 lives. There was a Hit and Run chant sang a fair few times by the block which I thought was too far. There may of been people seating around who've been effected by the same sort of incident. Its like chanting rape to a former rapist in a womens Yoga session. No need.
It's been a while since I sat in Block H and I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. I noticed there were a couple of older men who'd do all the stupid comments. They were surrounded by loads of 14-18 year olds who'd all do the laughing, it looked very much like they all thought these blokes were hilarious. They did actually start a song about Lee hghes getting raped in the Prison! I mean come on. It seemed the main focus of the block was as much on the stewards, subs warming up, Lee Hughes and chanting how much you hate Palace than there was on the actual match. It would work better if we didn't create these silly 'singing' stands/blocks. It just means people at one end of the ground feel no need to make a noise because thats the job of the other end (the singing end) and sadly all we create is aload of morons all stood amongst each other acting like aload of kids pratting around in a classroom whilst everyone else goes into whisper mode. We need everyone mixed, that way the morons either get identified easier or they better their behaviour.

I too sat in H block (not been in there for years). I totally agree with you and would also add then when the "fans" in H block turned their attention to the football all that was shouted was a bunch of inaccurate textbook football clichés - do these people actually know anything about the game of football? More than likely they like the sound of their own voice and love spewing out random "in the channels son" type comments, still at least that part of it made me chuckle!

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I too sat in H block (not been in there for years). I totally agree with you and would also add then when the "fans" in H block turned their attention to the football all that was shouted was a bunch of inaccurate textbook football clichés - do these people actually know anything about the game of football? More than likely they like the sound of their own voice and love spewing out random "in the channels son" type comments, still at least that part of it made me chuckle!

The ramdom shouts of anything to do with a car ('the middle pedal is the brake') just wern't funny but were greeted with incessant laughter from a certain group although admittedly I have never seen them at a game before. Maybe I misinterpreted the racist remark... But I'm not sure I did.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Some people are so far up their own arses on here its funny.

So Hughes (who I think is a nasty horrible little **** btw) got a bit of stick. Good. Its part of football isn't it. The best line I heard when he took a dive, was "did you go down that easy in prision"!! It's banter. Get over it!

Regarding racist comments, everyone knows they don't have a place anywhere anymore, but I do get the feeling sometimes, that give stick/banter to a white player then its banter, throw exactly the same comment at a black player, some will see it as racist. I think the only thing sader than a racist, is someone who sees racism where none exists.

Lee Hughes..... the thinking idiot's footballer.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/09/22/lee-hughes-shirt-jibe-sparks-violence/
WD3783425@1011-v-Notts-081.jpg

Wolves fans hurled bricks and breeze blocks at rival supporters’ coaches, injuring a 78-year-old woman, after a match in which disgraced former Albion star Lee Hughes taunted supporters with a Baggies T-shirt.

Yobs attacked Notts County coaches when violence flared following last night’s Carling Cup match, after Hughes’ controversial opening goal celebration that saw him lift his shirt to reveal an undershirt carrying the Baggies’ “boing boing” slogan.

Police this afternoon revealed they would speak to Wolves about Hughes’s gesture.

Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey today branded the yobs involved in the attack as “morons” and said those responsible would never be allowed inside Molineux ever again.

The League Cup third round game was Hughes’ first at Wolves since he served three years of a six-year jail sentence for death by dangerous driving after his car was involved in a fatal crash in 2003.

A yellow smoke bomb was released inside Molineux as home fans reacted angrily to Hughes’s opening goal celebration in Wolves’ 4-2 win.

And trouble flared after the match when coaches taking 140 Notts County fans back home were pelted with bricks and breeze blocks, smashing windows.

A 78-year-old Notts County fan had to receive hospital treatment after her face was gashed by broken glass and supporters today told how young children on the coaches sat “petrified”.

Three coaches were damaged in the attack as the coaches travelled through Horseley Fields, one so badly that a replacement had to be sent from Nottingham to Wolverhampton to ferry supporters home.

Coach company bosses, who said they are “gutted”, today revealed repair costs were expected to run up to more than £20,000.

Do you know the woman who was attacked? Contact our reporters on 01902 319417

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/09/22/lee-hughes-shirt-jibe-sparks-violence/#ixzz1HQCRxRXf

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

So Hughes (who I think is a nasty horrible little **** btw) got a bit of stick. Good. Its part of football isn't it. The best line I heard when he took a dive, was "did you go down that easy in prision"!! It's banter. Get over it!

It's not that I don't think Hughes deserves stick. I don't think it is right that the death of Douglas Graham should be bandied about the terraces as 'banter'. I couldn't really care less how Hughes feels.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
For what it's worth I agree with the poster 'Falmer'.

Hughes was being a class A prick on the pitch - and he must be well aware that anywhere he goes he will get taunts of murderer if he's visibly being a dick on the pitch - no problem with that - he brought that on himself. I do agree that some goons singing 'hit and run' is 1 childish and non empathetic step too far. Two innocent people died cos of Hughes actions - If that was my brother or Mum or wife etc I'd have gone mental at those goons and lost it. OK so now you're thinking what's the chances of a relative of one of the deceased being at an Albion game - fair do's BUT there may have been peopl in the crowd last night who have lost a friend or relative to a 'hit and run' offence and this would cause upset - it's a case of some of the little H block kids trying to be hard and funny and failing miserably.

Incidently - was anyone on NSC on the very end of J block half way to 3/4 of the way up? Anyone here the clueless posh bloke babbling utter shite all night like 'We should be thrashing teams like this' after half hr...? Yes I did say something before someone throws that comment at me! :lol:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I know block H takes a lot of stick on this forum that is normally unwarranted however tonight was a different matter. A game that should have been one of celebration after another step towards promotion was ruined by the actions of some 'fans'. Firstly the chants towards Hughes were totally out of order - I don't condone what he did but the shouts of MURDERER followed by laughter are unfair on him but more importantly the family of thr man killed. Some of it was outrageous.

Secondly some of this chanting, as I interpreted, turned into racism against other County players, which I was disgusted by (obviously I am not going to repeat it). One fan was chucked out and booed although several others could have followed. No doubt some of it was due to drink but even if this is the case it was totally wrong. Those who were involved, unfortunately a large number should be ashamed.

Sorry for the negativity of this thread after a good night but it had to be mentioned. It really annoyed me.

I'm sorry but Lee Hughes is/was a murderer, people who run off from a crime scene and have no balls to own up to it. Should be locked up for life, not playing on a football field. Last night a good mate of mine. Was kicked out for giving him mouth, like the rest of us was doing. So why didn't the stewards kick everybody out for giving Lee Hughes stick, so I don't see your point?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
If you drink in excess of the legal limit then freely get behind the wheel of a car, then if the car journey ends in someone else dying, it should be classed as murder.

No need for chants that mock the incident, as this is disrespectful of the deceased and their family / friends.

But Hughes deserves a lot more than his ridiculous sentence and chants from football fans. It is a life that he took away and no doubt affected many more lives as a result.

He also demonstrated what type of person he was, not only by the crime he committed but by the way he reacted immediately afterwards.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Incidently - was anyone on NSC on the very end of J block half way to 3/4 of the way up? Anyone here the clueless posh bloke babbling utter shite all night like 'We should be thrashing teams like this' after half hr...? Yes I did say something before someone throws that comment at me! :lol:
:) Yes, I was right there for the first half and similarly exercised by the drivel...

I am a bit of a glass half full man ("if you can't say anything positive then keep quiet" etc) and admittedly bite far too quickly when in earshot of these morons. My own witty riposte to posh bloke's loud complaining about our beloved Bermuda Triangle of Casper, Adam and Gordon was to shout out "Stop playing football Brighton! What are you doing?!"...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How precious are some people (granted in the minority according to this thread). Most of the chants he brought upon himself by trying to wind up El-Abd. the fact he was laughing and smiling at the crowd when he was subbed I'm guessing its water of a ducks back and he gets it everywhere he goes much like (to a lesser extent) Marlon King and any other player who has been inside

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010

Regarding racist comments, everyone knows they don't have a place anywhere anymore, but I do get the feeling sometimes, that give stick/banter to a white player then its banter, throw exactly the same comment at a black player, some will see it as racist. I think the only thing sader than a racist, is someone who sees racism where none exists.

Hilarious joke...

The racist comment was not just an insult thrown at one of their coloured subs but a clear racist 'joke'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:) Yes, I was right there for the first half and similarly exercised by the drivel...

I am a bit of a glass half full man ("if you can't say anything positive then keep quiet" etc) and admittedly bite far too quickly when in earshot of these morons. My own witty riposte to posh bloke's loud complaining about our beloved Bermuda Triangle of Casper, Adam and Gordon was to shout out "Stop playing football Brighton! What are you doing?!"...

Hahahaha that was you - we found that very ammusing - and yet true. My Dad was sat right next to him - to the blokes right. Do people forget that we have come from 2 relegation battles - why we have a god given right to win every match 3-0 i'll never know - idiot!

Funny how those that knew something about football could see how well that triangle was working as Hughes was ran into the ground after half hr - my Dad was the bloke who kept shouting 'run Hughes' around the hr mark when he'd given up and then got subbed!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hilarious joke...

The racist comment was not just an insult thrown at one of their coloured subs but a clear racist 'joke'.

RACIST. :lol:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
There was racism in H block last night, I'd now because it was right next to me. Two big middle aged blokes spouting such complete bollocks all game trying to get a laugh, which ended in more people laughing at them instead of with them, due to numerous pathetically unfunny jokes regarding Hughes (unlike the guy making the prison based puns, which although maybe harsh i enjoyed). However when the three black county subs were warming up in the second half, said blokes by me started blurting some "do you work in KFC" "ill have fries with that" followed by "yeah that's it you smile then we can all see you for once". It continued, most of which was unfunny, before the final comment "yeah chase that ball like it's a piece of chicken".
It's not the worst thing i've ever heard at football, but racism is racism. Apologies if anyone fragile is annoyed by those comments, but its difficult to discuss the issue without knowing what's been said.

I'll Get Me Coat

Feb 28, 2011
Worthing
I ended up in W block, all I heard was the following comments from the kids:
"Dad, can I have some chips ?"
"Is it half time yet ?"
"Mum can I get a drink ?"
"Mum I'm cold !"
"Wheres my burger !!!"

Fcuk, wish I had a ticket in the H block, a much more interesting time had there !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here