Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disgraceful fans

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I am not sure a bloke shouting at the subs "don't you work in KFC" can be considered racism.

The problem I had with H block tonight were the glory hunting dickheads intent on shout utter crap like "Painter you can't cross a road" and "Murray you're shit" all night. It was more fun going when it was full of empty seats.

Roll on The Amex...

There wont be any empty seats at the Amex either.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Like Ive said, he did a very stupid thing, but a murderer or killer he is not.

Doesn't make for very good banter/abuse though does it :shrug:

I don't see why everyone is so concerned about poor lee. I remember at gillingham once against Exeter, we gave way more stick than tonight to Steve Flack, the only reason being that he was tall and looked a bit funny. "freak, freak, freak, freak".

I did feel a bit sorry for him but it certainly put him off.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I am not sure a bloke shouting at the subs "don't you work in KFC" can be considered racism.

The problem I had with H block tonight were the glory hunting dickheads intent on shout utter crap like "Painter you can't cross a road" and "Murray you're shit" all night. It was more fun going when it was full of empty seats.

Roll on The Amex...

This was not the comment I was referring to. Also it was more the laughter about the position of Hughes that really got to me - if I was related to the person who had died I would find this unacceptable...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That doesnt make anyone a Murderer or a killer, do you think he thaught when he got in the car that he would go and hit anyone? (Granted he probably wasnt doing much thinking at this point)

Of course he is classed as a killer. His irresponsible actions resulted in the death - he was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

I do think it is callous to throw that sort of thing about though and use it to taunt.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Of course he is classed as a killer. His irresponsible actions resulted in the death - he was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

Indeed - he went to court for a form of homicide. He is a convicted killer. It certainly wasn't pre-mediated murder but 'causing death by dangerous driving-er' doesn't quite roll of the tongue as easily

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
What is this?! Taking pity on a bloke that has directly caused another human beings death by taking a load of drugs and or being pissed up whilst driving?
Some people need to stop getting "offended" by everything and lighten up a bit.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Can we assume that you're not related to the person who died?

Can we also assume that it's very unlikely a relative of the person who died was in the crowd at Withdean tonight?

By you're own logic that makes it acceptable :thumbsup:

Why are you trying to create an unnecessary argument? It's quite clear I just think this abuse was irresponsible and uncalled for.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
All killings are illegal arent they?

Nope. What about a police marksman or a soldier in the line of duty? What about the guy who operates an electric chair (in a country/state where capital punishment is legal, obviously)? Plenty of legal killings about.

That doesnt make anyone a Murderer or a killer

Think you need to look up the definition of kill and killer.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Anyway, he did a very very stupid thing, getting in a car while he was f***ed. As a very unfortunate conciquence (sp) of doing this he ended up crashing his car into another car and someone died, then he stupidly ran off and made up a load of bullshit.

That doesnt make anyone a Murderer or a killer, do you think he thaught when he got in the car that he would go and hit anyone? (Granted he probably wasnt doing much thinking at this point)

All killings are certainly not illegal. It is perfectly legal to kill in self-defence, or kill enemy combatants in wartime. Also, in some parts of the world it is legal for the state to kill as a form of punishment.

As BoF has said, he is clearly a killer, but not a murderer. Though I would argue that driving a car drunk is negligent enough to be no better than murder, particularly when you then run away afterwards like a coward. I hope the guilt eats at him every day he lives - living of course being something he took away from the person his actions caused the death of.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
What is this?! Taking pity on a bloke that has directly caused another human beings death by taking a load of drugs and or being pissed up whilst driving?
Some people need to stop getting "offended" by everything and lighten up a bit.

I'm not normally a sensitive person but this really got to me tonight. Once more, I do not condone what he did, I just feel chanting about it in the manner that it was was unreasonable, not just to Lee Hughes.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Anyway, he did a very very stupid thing, getting in a car while he was f***ed. As a very unfortunate conciquence (sp) of doing this he ended up crashing his car into another car and someone died, then he stupidly ran off and made up a load of bullshit.

No they are not - Surely a Police marksman shooting and killing an armed suspect that refused to co-operate and was threatening peoples lives (such as firing on the Police) would be deemed as a legal killing

Otherwise the Police wouldn't be allowed to have trained firearms officers who would use these tactics in dangerous situations - also why would someone do the job if it meant imprisonment for doing what you are paid for. These types of units just wouldn't exist.

Surely a similar system would also apply to Military service personnel acting in the line of duty

- Going back to the Hughes and the shouts of Murderer, surely its all just banter, designed to wind up a player or put them off their game (looked like it worked too) - people take some things way too seriously. Its like fans calling all Norwich fans inbreds, or Gillingham fans Pikeys - doesn't mean they neccessarily believe it but they are just having a laugh.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I know block H takes a lot of stick on this forum that is normally unwarranted however tonight was a different matter. A game that should have been one of celebration after another step towards promotion was ruined by the actions of some 'fans'. Firstly the chants towards Hughes were totally out of order - I don't condone what he did but the shouts of MURDERER followed by laughter are unfair on him but more importantly the family of thr man killed. Some of it was outrageous.

Secondly some of this chanting, as I interpreted, turned into racism against other County players, which I was disgusted by (obviously I am not going to repeat it). One fan was chucked out and booed although several others could have followed. No doubt some of it was due to drink but even if this is the case it was totally wrong. Those who were involved, unfortunately a large number should be ashamed.

Sorry for the negativity of this thread after a good night but it had to be mentioned. It really annoyed me.

Who knows, maybe the family of the deceased do think he is a murderer and the more stick he gets and the worse his life is made, the better

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Who knows, maybe the family of the deceased do think he is a murderer and the more stick he gets and the worse his life is made, the better

And the incessant raucous laughter over - who can make the funniest Hughes driving/prison/killing joke? I'm sure they would love that.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was in J block with my Sister (her first game for 35 years!) and heard nothing. I can only congratulate the J and H blockers (J in particular) for their fine sense of humour. Laughed all match so I did guvnor! Comic highlight of the night was me asking a guy for the SCC score, his Dad said that his Son would be interested too as he lived there. I jokingly asked his Son if he was 'some sort of missionary?' He retorted, 'no, I am a vicar.'
Priceless!

Good three points, may be in the mix at the end after all?

TNBA

TTF

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm not normally a sensitive person but this really got to me tonight. Once more, I do not condone what he did, I just feel chanting about it in the manner that it was was unreasonable, not just to Lee Hughes.

this, much as I dislike hughes bringing this up again as a taunt to an opposition player just seems a little...i don't know what the word is, maybe disrespectful to the victims family....to see the suffering they have been through reduced to a base level chant for people unconnected to the original crime.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Just back from game, longjourney home. Lots of similar comments in f block. Why some seem surprised that Lee Hughes would get this stick I don't know, especially after his actions. It's the easiest and obvious slur to make. What's the problem with that? Why are some offended on other people's behalf? Stop empathising with people you don't know let alone how they feel and concentrate like the rest of us next time in doing your job as a supporter eg putting opposition players off their game by any means, fair or foul. It's a dirty world out there but we've got a championship to win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hughes is a convicted killer and a scumbag. He was also utterly shit all night.
That is all.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hughes is a convicted killer and a scumbag. He was also utterly shit all night.
That is all.

He did blow us a kiss though when subbed and we enjoyed some banter with him over that. Fair play to him in that respect, he plays the pantomime villain well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here