Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Season Ticket Prices

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the blurb I got with my pack
'Disabled supporters will be charged the season ticket price for the area in which they bought their ticket; personal assistants meeting a proven matchday need will be admitted free of charge'

Last edited:

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
'Disabled supporters will be charged the season ticket price for the area in which they bought their ticket; personal assistants meeting a proven matchday need will be admitted free of charge'

Is that in the disabled section though? We have a registered disabled person buying a season ticket with Seagulls Over Burwash who will probably have an assistant.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Is that in the disabled section though? We have a registered disabled person buying a season ticket with Seagulls Over Burwash who will probably have an assistant.

I think you'll find it's for all sections. Any individual with a disability - be they a wheelchair user or ambulant - will have to pay full whack; but I know if such supporters recieve the highest DLA Mobility Component they will be able to have an accompanying assistant free of charge. I'm sure the folks in the shop will be able to tell you all the information you need, so it's probs best if you or one of your group pops in there in person.

Hope this helps.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I think you'll find it's for all sections. Any individual with a disability - be they a wheelchair user or ambulant - will have to pay full whack; but I know if such supporters recieve the highest DLA Mobility Component they will be able to have an accompanying assistant free of charge. I'm sure the folks in the shop will be able to tell you all the information you need, so it's probs best if you or one of your group pops in there in person.

Hope this helps.

I find it terribly sad that we are now in company with only a select group of clubs, including Chelsea and Southampton, who charge their disabled supporters full price.

For years, in line with most premier and football league clubs, the Albion has had a concession rate for disabled supporters which works out at 65% of the full ticket price.

For some reason, maybe you can guess what, the board decided to remove this concession as we move to the 'community' stadium. How ironic is that?

This only affects about 100 supporters amongst 22500, so why bother to do it, and risk being percieved as uncharitable?

Before somebody says "yes, but you get a free ticket for an assistant", this saves the club of having the responsibility of having to care for disabled people in the event of an emergency, and is standard practice in most of the developed world.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Many events will charge full price but you can bring someone to assist you. Standard I thought.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I find it terribly sad that we are now in company with only a select group of clubs, including Chelsea and Southampton, who charge their disabled supporters full price.

For years, in line with most premier and football league clubs, the Albion has had a concession rate for disabled supporters which works out at 65% of the full ticket price.

For some reason, maybe you can guess what, the board decided to remove this concession as we move to the 'community' stadium. How ironic is that?

This only affects about 100 supporters amongst 22500, so why bother to do it, and risk being percieved as uncharitable?

Before somebody says "yes, but you get a free ticket for an assistant", this saves the club of having the responsibility of having to care for disabled people in the event of an emergency, and is standard practice in most of the developed world.

OMG, How out of order suggesting that such people are inferier to other adults and that they might need a discount to go and watch the football!

Disabled people have been campaigning for years that they want to be treated like everyone else, so stop treating them like they need handouts and special dispensations they're as much of a human as any one else and are being treated that way.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
OMG, How out of order suggesting that such people are inferier to other adults and that they might need a discount to go and watch the football!

Disabled people have been campaigning for years that they want to be treated like everyone else, so stop treating them like they need handouts and special dispensations they're as much of a human as any one else and are being treated that way.

Thank you for completely missing the point!

As disabled people we would like to be treated as 'normal', but instead when it comes to seating at Falmer, we only have two options.

1. Pitchside where you are open to the elements, which is bad enough for normal folk, never mind those whose illnesses may be affected by such conditions.

2. Sit alone in the corners, one of which is neat the away support.

These options, are not being treated equally.

How many of you 'smart' people, would put up with being told, "Sorry mate, you can't go into that part of the ground with your own fans, never mind with your own friends"

Respectively, before commenting, please make yourself aware of the facts. By not, you are adding fuel to the arguement that disabled people are just whingers.

Lets hope that you never have to sit pitchside, like those two young lads on saturday in front of the family stand, who were quite clearly in some distress because of the heat, and the lack of facilities to accomodate them.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Many events will charge full price but you can bring someone to assist you. Standard I thought.

Ironically only a handful of clubs, including Chelsea and Southampton, charge full price for disabled supporters. Others such as Man Utd, Liverpool, Villa, man City, Huddrsfld, MK Dons, Charlton and many others, including ourselves up until this season charge the same as an OAP at roughly 65% of the full ticket price.

The element of a free assistant relates to public order and liability matters. By offering a free seat at the football, theatre, cinema or concert, the body responsible for that performance has negated their risk, by passing it onto the assistant. In the event of a fire or public order offence, the assistant is responsible for the care of the disabled person.

When you put it that way, it doesn't seem such a bargain does it?

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
No. I mean I used to work for disabilities trust in Burgess Hill and assisted many people to such events. Never struck me as paying over the odds really. They really have no responsibility over that person after they give a free seat to the assistant? Well I never knew that.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011

What is also forgotten or overlooked by most people is that disabled people are generally part of a family where there is only a single income, often only part time, as the partner is the main carer for the disabled person.

Many disabled supporters have had to face the real scenario of "can we afford to go to Falmer?" On top of the increased admission prices, there are often unseen extra costs incurred with transport and access.

After all the marches, letter writing, and petitions, all we are asking, is lets look after the whole Albion family, and not leave anybody behind, as we move forward to the 'Community' stadium.

Is that too much to ask?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

As disabled people we would like to be treated as 'normal', but instead when it comes to seating at Falmer, we only have two options.

1. Pitchside where you are open to the elements, which is bad enough for normal folk, never mind those whose illnesses may be affected by such conditions.

How many of you 'smart' people, would put up with being told, "Sorry mate, you can't go into that part of the ground with your own fans, never mind with your own friends"

Respectively, before commenting, please make yourself aware of the facts. By not, you are adding fuel to the arguement that disabled people are just whingers.

Lets hope that you never have to sit pitchside, like those two young lads on saturday in front of the family stand, who were quite clearly in some distress because of the heat, and the lack of facilities to accomodate them.

Disabled supporters can sit anywhere they like in the stadium the only restriction is not everyone can climb to the back of the stand. Whellchair users can sit in the front row of any of the home fans or on an elevated platform in a corner of the ground for those with limited head movement. There is also a third option, there are whelchair spaces availale in the middle tier of the west stan among the 1901 club seats. The only stand that wheelchair users cannot sit in is the West Stand Upper

The club have made it a possibility for all fans of varing abilities to sit in whatever stand they wish to and the seats behind wheelchair users have been offered to those wheelchair users for their friends and family as a priority before being offered to the general public.

I'm not sure what else the club could have down for disabled supporters apart from patronising them by giving them a discount

No doubt you'll be annoyed again when the club announce their plans for parking and that only supporters sitting in the designated diasabled supporters section will get a parking space near the ground everyone else has bought a general supporters season ticket so will have to get the park and ride or the train with all the other general supporters

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So where do you suggest, kick out the 1901 so disabled supporters can be safe and warm. Everybody in the ground, save those in WSU will get wet, get cold depending on the direction of the wind. East Stand supporters will be in the sun all game however far back they sit.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Disabled supporters can sit anywhere they like in the stadium the only restriction is not everyone can climb to the back of the stand. Whellchair users can sit in the front row of any of the home fans or on an elevated platform in a corner of the ground for those with limited head movement. There is also a third option, there are whelchair spaces availale in the middle tier of the west stan among the 1901 club seats. The only stand that wheelchair users cannot sit in is the West Stand Upper

The club have made it a possibility for all fans of varing abilities to sit in whatever stand they wish to and the seats behind wheelchair users have been offered to those wheelchair users for their friends and family as a priority before being offered to the general public.

I'm not sure what else the club could have down for disabled supporters apart from patronising them by giving them a discount

No doubt you'll be annoyed again when the club announce their plans for parking and that only supporters sitting in the designated diasabled supporters section will get a parking space near the ground everyone else has bought a general supporters season ticket so will have to get the park and ride or the train with all the other general supporters

I am absolutely staggered by your lack of understanding of the problem, and your acceptance of what has been 'put out' by the club.

You mention that there is space in the 1901 club. You are correct, that is the third option. How many disabled supporters, on limited incomes do you think will get into the 1901?

Given that you have all the answers, let me ask you this.

If you are restricted to a mobilised wheelchair, for whatever your disability, would you fancy 'travelling' across a gravel overflow carpark, in the pouring rain on a November night, back to your transport, assuming by then that the club has arranged for the LEGAL requirement of sufficient blue badge parking?

Please think carefully before you reply!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What is also forgotten or overlooked by most people is that disabled people are generally part of a family where there is only a single income, often only part time, as the partner is the main carer for the disabled person.

Many disabled supporters have had to face the real scenario of "can we afford to go to Falmer?" On top of the increased admission prices, there are often unseen extra costs incurred with transport and access.

After all the marches, letter writing, and petitions, all we are asking, is lets look after the whole Albion family, and not leave anybody behind, as we move forward to the 'Community' stadium.

Is that too much to ask?

So what about the supporters who have been made redundant in the last 10 years, what about the supporters who have lost the main bread winner in their household in the last 10 years, are they any less deserving then. And of course there are the 16-21 year olds who have lost their discount. I sure plenty of households have said "can we afford to go to Falmer?"

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
So where do you suggest, kick out the 1901 so disabled supporters can be safe and warm. Everybody in the ground, save those in WSU will get wet, get cold depending on the direction of the wind. East Stand supporters will be in the sun all game however far back they sit.

For those who do not know the current position with regards to the positioning of disabled supporters, we basically do not have a choice, unlike the majority of able bodied supporters.

The ONLY positions for disabled supporters are either literally sitting at the pitchside, or in the corners on your own, one of which is right by the away supporters. If you want to go with your able bodied friends, simply forget it. As they trot off to the North stand, row whatever, the nearest you will be to them is pitchside north stand.

If you are one of those 'lucky' disabled supporters that get the chance to sit in the south stand corner, you get to sit next to away fans, not even your own bloody supporters. How can this be good?

The lack of understanding shown here by some, is not only short sighted, but reflects poorly and is most unfortunate.

It also goes someway to explain why many disabled supporters are signing up for the adverse seating positions, and not causing a fuss, for fear of being ridiculed by the less informed on NSC.

To me, the best way to judge a football club is how we treat our weakest members/colleagues. Going by some of the comments here, we have a long way to go on many levels.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I am absolutely staggered by your lack of understanding of the problem, and your acceptance of what has been 'put out' by the club.

You mention that there is space in the 1901 club. You are correct, that is the third option. How many disabled supporters, on limited incomes do you think will get into the 1901?

Given that you have all the answers, let me ask you this.

If you are restricted to a mobilised wheelchair, for whatever your disability, would you fancy 'travelling' across a gravel overflow carpark, in the pouring rain on a November night, back to your transport, assuming by then that the club has arranged for the LEGAL requirement of sufficient blue badge parking?

Please think carefully before you reply!

Theclub have organised buses that can accomodate disabled supporters to help get them back to the park and ride spaces that they have supplied. The disabled parking on site they have has been allocated to, on the recomendation of BODS, to those in most need who are those in the disabled supporters sections.

If I was restricted to a wheelchair I wouldn't wanna be travelling anywhere in the rain but I also don't like walking in the rain so I think my dissatisfaction is due to the rain rather than the distance I'd have to travel having had the opportunity to see the Seagulls play in their new £100m home that 1 of the other supporters has financed on behalf of the club and all its supporters.

As Gazwag has said there are plenty of people on a tight budget if you can't afford it that is unlucky but don't come on NSC expecting sympathy

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
For those who do not know the current position with regards to the positioning of disabled supporters, we basically do not have a choice, unlike the majority of able bodied supporters.

The ONLY positions for disabled supporters are either literally sitting at the pitchside, or in the corners on your own, one of which is right by the away supporters. If you want to go with your able bodied friends, simply forget it. As they trot off to the North stand, row whatever, the nearest you will be to them is pitchside north stand.

If you are one of those 'lucky' disabled supporters that get the chance to sit in the south stand corner, you get to sit next to away fans, not even your own bloody supporters. How can this be good?

The lack of understanding shown here by some, is not only short sighted, but reflects poorly and is most unfortunate.

It also goes someway to explain why many disabled supporters are signing up for the adverse seating positions, and not causing a fuss, for fear of being ridiculed by the less informed on NSC.

To me, the best way to judge a football club is how we treat our weakest members/colleagues. Going by some of the comments here, we have a long way to go on many levels.

Your claims are simply not true!

Disabled fans can sit anywhere in the stadium

Wheelchair user are limited as they cannot climb steps so the club has provided sections at the front of all it's home stands for wheelchair users, they have also reserved seats in the row behind for the wheelchair user to have 4 friends or family members sitting close by for company.

Those supporters sitting in the corners will be inbetween the away end and a home end but due to our limited capacity for the initial opening of the stadium there won't be a block of seats in front of them but will be in the near future.

Just out of interest...What would you have done differently?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here