Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Season Ticket Prices

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well excuse me for f***ing asking. Put me right then.

Christ.

1) you ask where wheelchair users can go other than at pitch side. This thread mentions corners and west stand middle tier as well as pitch side.
2) the carer has always been free at Withdean and will continue to be free at Falmer, so it isn't a swop from 65% discount to a 50/50 split.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm glad you asked because I wanted to know as well. You said 'Excuse my ignorance' and then get accused of being ignorant!!
How can we get over our ignorance if no one actually explains what it is that we are being ignorant of?

I understand the disabled have a grievance but please explain what the grievance is and how the club could have dealt with it in a better way.

I'm not taking sides here, but I'm just a little frustrated that Easy claims ignorance when the facts are in this very thread. You just need to read it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Notts County tickets are £22,50 for adults and £16.50 for disabled but ALL must pay. Most away games this season have been disabled full price with a free attendant ticket so we have followed that trend.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not taking sides here, but I'm just a little frustrated that Easy claims ignorance when the facts are in this very thread. You just need to read it.

I have read it and it seems to have gone over my head. Is it the car park? I think I have read somewhere there isn't any blue badge parking? Is that right?
Is the grievance that there isn't a choice of areas rather than pitch side, 1901 (too expensive) or the south west corner? I'm not sure I understand what libra gully wants. I would like to understand which is why I'm asking.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Maybe the previous discount for disabled supporters at the Withdean was because of the absolutely shocking view they had to endure?
Now they will have better views, the club don't feel it necessary to offer the disabled supporters "compensation" because of this?

Just a thought.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1) you ask where wheelchair users can go other than at pitch side. This thread mentions corners and west stand middle tier as well as pitch side.
2) the carer has always been free at Withdean and will continue to be free at Falmer, so it isn't a swop from 65% discount to a 50/50 split.

1) West Stand middle tier is 1901, and was dismissed by Libra-Gully as not being a viable option for most disabled fans on a limited income. I took the corners as still being "pitch side" in that they are ground level, or close to ground level. Excuse me for interpretting it in this way if that is incorrect terminologly.

2) I wasn't aware the carer goes free at Withdean, that was not mentioned anywhere on this thread.

3) If people weren't so frigging touchy about this subject then maybe the issues and grievences could get a good airing without fear of someone jumping down your throat. We're not ALL completely savvy with the pricing/policies for the disabled. Like I said, I wasn't having a pop, I was just interested in the issues.

Clearly I'd better butt out though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why don't you ask the Board, rather than the message board?

Did you ask Tony Bloom on his Q&A today? How about phoning and asking the sales team, or even email or write to Martin Perry?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1) .

2) I wasn't aware the carer goes free at Withdean, that was not mentioned anywhere on this thread.

Neither was I as it was never offered to my brother in law or mentioned to me, he just received a discount on his North Stand Season ticket which was dearer than my OAP and Bens junior one.

I was in constant communication with Paul (ticket office manager) because of discrepancies with the amount of money they took from my bank for my ticket. This was all sorted out but a carer ticket was never mentioned or hinted at.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm still not quite clear what the club has failed to do for disabled fans. Instead of paying 65% for a season ticket, the cost of one season ticket can now be split 50/50 with the carer, which seems fair enough to me for both parties.

And you may have to excuse my ignorance, but where else can a wheelchair (safely) go in a stadium other than pitchside level ? I'm not having a pop, just that I'm not sure what it is you were looking for the club to provide.

I do take issue with the cost of a ticket being described as split 50/50 between disabled person and carer (if they require one)

It's not as if the carer can go on their own....

Funnily enough when me moved our dad in the Withdean disabled area, for the first season me and my brother alternated in looking after him. We had already bought him a non disabled ticket (thinking he could cope in the stand), but we moved in there first game of the season after advice from the club.

We never realised that a disabled supporter could take a carer, so I unknowingly sat in that area for a whole season with a South Stand season ticket !

As for the question "where can a wheelchair user go safely if not pitch level...", well - it that was the general way things were down, disabled people at work would be required all work in the reception.

Basically, like a lot of people I was generally surprised that "disabled areas" weren't distributed across the whole stadium. 4 there, 3 there etc.. etc...

They effectively become "disabled seats", rather than areas. Integration is what people are asking for Easy, not special treatment.

I know these things are complicated, but it's been achieved in other new stadia. I'm no expert on stadium design but I failed to here any reason why the Amex poses particular issues.

It's hard to explain just how bad the disabled section is at Withdean unless you have sat there.

There is a MASSIVE sense of being cut off from people.

You are also routinely thrown out of there if you are "trespassing...", adding to the feeling of isolation. We and my brother were even asked to leave when we went in there to tell some of Dad's friends that he had passed away.

Now there are obviously very good reasons why that happened, because technically you are pitch side. I'm just trying to get across the experience of being separated from the rest of the crowd.

There is you lot (the able bodied) and the rest who irrespective of their disability are er.. bunged in there.

I'd hoped those days were gone and with the the new stadium, I expected "state of the art" viewing facilities. From what I have read on here, I am very surprised to hear the the main disabled area is cut off from the rest of the fans. Astonished to hear that anything at pitch level is even on offer in this day and age.

I'm sure the view is good from the corner and it's probably ok'ish pitch side compared to the Withdean.

But I'm still surprised at the lack of choice. Like many on here, I expected to blown away by what had been achieved.

I'm not.

Last edited:

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
With the greatest respect, a rant this is not.

Furthermore such a conversation is only constructive if those in the fortunate position of being able bodied, respect those who are not.

The whole idea of this thread and other current ones, is to address the fact that the club has 'overlooked' some issues relating to disabled issues, and needs to be reminded of their importance for all to enjoy the Falmer experience.

The whole idea of marches and petitions was that Falmer is for all!

Thats fine if it was not a rant. You had some points to say and I then asked the question of how you would of done things different. You came back with something a bit lame and I wanted you to explain further. That was all.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I find it terribly sad that we are now in company with only a select group of clubs, including Chelsea and Southampton, who charge their disabled supporters full price.

For years, in line with most premier and football league clubs, the Albion has had a concession rate for disabled supporters which works out at 65% of the full ticket price.

For some reason, maybe you can guess what, the board decided to remove this concession as we move to the 'community' stadium. How ironic is that?

This only affects about 100 supporters amongst 22500, so why bother to do it, and risk being percieved as uncharitable?

Before somebody says "yes, but you get a free ticket for an assistant", this saves the club of having the responsibility of having to care for disabled people in the event of an emergency, and is standard practice in most of the developed world.

Why should we not pay the same as others, I may be disabled, but I am not a charity. Also the club do still have responsibility for ALL its supporters, so I find that a bit silly to say they don't.

Many events will charge full price but you can bring someone to assist you. Standard I thought.

It is Steve.

Perkino;4078887/ said:
Disabled people have been campaigning for years that they want to be treated like everyone else, so stop treating them like they need handouts and special dispensations they're as much of a human as any one else and are being treated that way.

100%

Thank you for completely missing the point!

As disabled people we would like to be treated as 'normal', but instead when it comes to seating at Falmer, we only have two options.

1. Pitchside where you are open to the elements, which is bad enough for normal folk, never mind those whose illnesses may be affected by such conditions.

2. Sit alone in the corners, one of which is neat the away support.

These options, are not being treated equally.

How many of you 'smart' people, would put up with being told, "Sorry mate, you can't go into that part of the ground with your own fans, never mind with your own friends"

Respectively, before commenting, please make yourself aware of the facts. By not, you are adding fuel to the arguement that disabled people are just whingers.

Lets hope that you never have to sit pitchside, like those two young lads on saturday in front of the family stand, who were quite clearly in some distress because of the heat, and the lack of facilities to accomodate them.

Most clubs have their disabled supporters pitch side. But if you were to have chosen to sit in an elevated corner, when filled in, you will feel every bit part of the club and our fans. I am also lead to believe there will be wheelchair spaces in the East upper when it is added. All of the disabled seating was looked at by BODS and NADS (National Association of Disabled Supporters) So I am really not sure what else the club could do to accommodate us.

What is also forgotten or overlooked by most people is that disabled people are generally part of a family where there is only a single income, often only part time, as the partner is the main carer for the disabled person.

Many disabled supporters have had to face the real scenario of "can we afford to go to Falmer?" On top of the increased admission prices, there are often unseen extra costs incurred with transport and access.

After all the marches, letter writing, and petitions, all we are asking, is lets look after the whole Albion family, and not leave anybody behind, as we move forward to the 'Community' stadium.

Is that too much to ask?

But surely it's like anything in life? If you can't afford it, you can't have it. This applies to both able and disabled supporters.

that the club has arranged for the LEGAL requirement of sufficient blue badge parking?

Please think carefully before you reply!

What do you consider as the legal requirement? as Chelsea have a 43000 crowd and has five, yes five blue badge spaces.
So what about the supporters who have been made redundant in the last 10 years, what about the supporters who have lost the main bread winner in their household in the last 10 years, are they any less deserving then. And of course there are the 16-21 year olds who have lost their discount. I sure plenty of households have said "can we afford to go to Falmer?"

See above post, I agree with you 100%

Could the unemployed or low wage earners have a case for discrimination if disabled people are offered discounts and they are not? I'm not saying that disabled people that need a carer present shouldn't get a free ticket. But why a discount on their own ticket?

Yes absolutely.

)
3) If people weren't so frigging touchy about this subject then maybe the issues and grievences could get a good airing without fear of someone jumping down your throat. We're not ALL completely savvy with the pricing/policies for the disabled. Like I said, I wasn't having a pop, I was just interested in the issues.
Clearly I'd better butt out though.

I couldn't agree more Easy. It has been said that us disabled persons feel somewhat intimidated by some of NSC's keyboard warriors. But I do not feel I have ever been treated any different to anyone else since joining. Every board has it's idiots, but there is an ignore option.

Lastly, I will say that I am a disabled supporter who used to be able bodied and can see this from both sides. But I am at a real lossto know what else the club could do.
I am happy to sit in the South West corner and have already made contact with others sitting there.Also when the corners are filled, we will still be higher than the crowd in front of us, so we can see clearly, and feel part of the crowd. Win win as I see it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seagull Steve, I agree with the pricing. Patronising to think disabled fans should pay less, but still has to be said that, that group of fans have seen their prices increase dramatically, so it's a difficult one.

When the corner is filled in, it will be much better. But - I still don't like the idea of "disabled areas" any more. My ideal would be to see them distributed around the stadium.

Whatever it's like - it's a million times better than now, which I think is shocking. Including the canopy that can't be used in the wind !

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Why should we not pay the same as others, I may be disabled, but I am not a charity. Also the club do still have responsibility for ALL its supporters, so I find that a bit silly to say they don't.

It is Steve.

100%

Most clubs have their disabled supporters pitch side. But if you were to have chosen to sit in an elevated corner, when filled in, you will feel every bit part of the club and our fans. I am also lead to believe there will be wheelchair spaces in the East upper when it is added. All of the disabled seating was looked at by BODS and NADS (National Association of Disabled Supporters) So I am really not sure what else the club could do to accommodate us.

But surely it's like anything in life? If you can't afford it, you can't have it. This applies to both able and disabled supporters.

What do you consider as the legal requirement? as Chelsea have a 43000 crowd and has five, yes five blue badge spaces.

See above post, I agree with you 100%

Yes absolutely.

I couldn't agree more Easy. It has been said that us disabled persons feel somewhat intimidated by some of NSC's keyboard warriors. But I do not feel I have ever been treated any different to anyone else since joining. Every board has it's idiots, but there is an ignore option.

Lastly, I will say that I am a disabled supporter who used to be able bodied and can see this from both sides. But I am at a real lossto know what else the club could do.
I am happy to sit in the South West corner and have already made contact with others sitting there.Also when the corners are filled, we will still be higher than the crowd in front of us, so we can see clearly, and feel part of the crowd. Win win as I see it.

Without doubt, the best most unbiased post and reply to many I have EVER read on here in a long time, Good luck to you Seagull Steve and I for one hope you enjoy every game you attend, It seems like you will not be to far from where myself and my wife will be sitting, I will (if you dont mind) take time out to come and say hello and buy you a pint, I am well impressed with this post and your attitude towards it all.
Nice one mate :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do take issue with the cost of a ticket being described as split 50/50 between disabled person and carer (if they require one)

It's not as if the carer can go on their own....

Why not they have a seasn ticket in their own right and own name and I am sure that if it was an odd occassion nothing would be said. Perhaps if it happened every game somebody would query your eligibility for the ticket.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Without doubt, the best most unbiased post and reply to many I have EVER read on here in a long time, Good luck to you Seagull Steve and I for one hope you enjoy every game you attend, It seems like you will not be to far from where myself and my wife will be sitting, I will (if you dont mind) take time out to come and say hello and buy you a pint, I am well impressed with this post and your attitude towards it all.
Nice one mate :thumbsup:

Thank you hitony, I would love to meet you and have a pint with you mate. I'll be the mouthy one with the lanky teenage Son.lol.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Thank you hitony, I would love to meet you and have a pint with you mate. I'll be the mouthy one with the lanky teenage Son.lol.

I look forward to meeting you mate, prior to the season starting I will PM you and make more definate arrangements, like where I am etc etc, I wont be wearing a Rose but will have one with me :)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not disabled but my wife is and I won't be getting a season ticket because of how far away I live and uncertainty whether I can get to games, depending on her health in the main. I would still like to attend some games though and bring her with me when we can and I had real concerns about facilities at the ground and transport arrangements. Thanks to the goodwill and interest of many on here who made it their business to get as much information as possible I was able to raise some issues with the club and satisfy myself with what was on offer. I'll be honest, I'm not blown away but I'm not disatisfied either and I think that the arrangements are ultimately adequate and pragmatic. Thank you Seagull Steve for so eloquently voicing the situation of those with disability. When I do get to a game I shall keep an eye open for you :)

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Brilliant, looking forward to it hitony. severnside gull, thank you mate. I am just writing what I feel personally. I look forward to meeting you and your good lady too.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not disabled but my wife is and I won't be getting a season ticket because of how far away I live and uncertainty whether I can get to games, depending on her health in the main. I would still like to attend some games though and bring her with me when we can and I had real concerns about facilities at the ground and transport arrangements. Thanks to the goodwill and interest of many on here who made it their business to get as much information as possible I was able to raise some issues with the club and satisfy myself with what was on offer. I'll be honest, I'm not blown away but I'm not disatisfied either and I think that the arrangements are ultimately adequate and pragmatic. Thank you Seagull Steve for so eloquently voicing the situation of those with disability. When I do get to a game I shall keep an eye open for you :)

I will not be able to make every game due to our location, I have promised certain games (Evenings) to someone else, and also another mate from here will have a shout at some, but i am sure there will be an option for the odd game, I have 2 season tickets and they are in the west stand lower, so should be fine for your wife I hope, obviously i will only want face value for them if your interested? i must stress it will very likely be the odd game but sounds like thats what your after maybe.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will not be able to make every game due to our location, I have promised certain games (Evenings) to someone else, and also another mate from here will have a shout at some, but i am sure there will be an option for the odd game, I have 2 season tickets and they are in the west stand lower, so should be fine for your wife I hope, obviously i will only want face value for them if your interested? i must stress it will very likely be the odd game but sounds like thats what your after maybe.

I would be forever in your debt :)

Thank you for the offer. If it could happen even once it would be very much appreciated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here