Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Season Ticket Prices

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm still struggling to see how in a stadium a club could do much more. The wheelchair spaces currently are all level with the concourse to allow access.

The only other alternatives would have been:
extend the areas in front of the stand around the whole of the pitch
provide lifts up to the WSU and allow spaces next to aisles, but the problem is a lot of supporters stand up during the game which would block views

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Notts County tickets are £22,50 for adults and £16.50 for disabled but ALL must pay. Most away games this season have been disabled full price with a free attendant ticket so we have followed that trend.

I am very pleased that you are happy with your situation, but a seat free for an assistant has been offered for years at Withdean. If you have only just been offered this, then I would suggest that you have been missing out.

To explain for the umpteenth time, in reality the extra ticket is not really as free as it first sounds. The club is liable for all supporters in the event of a fire or public order offence. The seat is offered for an assistant to be on call if provided in such dire circumstances and to look after the fan in general. This action negates the club's responsibility, and so they are willing to offer the seat.

This is by no means an exception. As well as football stadia, cinemas, theatres and concert venues all employ the same policy.

Now for the big one. For years, my colleagues have put up with absolute crappy views and facilities at Withdean. Only this Saturday saw two young lads, in front of the family stand clearly in some distress because of the heat. You may have noticed that there was no space under the lovely plastic sheet for these two lads to sit under.

For years we have accepted this as at each enquiry, or public meeting we have been told that the lot of a disabled supporter will be greatly improved.

Imagine our utter annoyance when we were told that the 'options' were pitchside, the corners or 1901 if you can afford it. We have campaigned with the rest of you for all these years, just to get the same crappy pitchside view we currently get.

To add fuel to the fire, we were then told that a ST will go from £295 to £425. On a very limited income, many supporters are asking do we want to go and sit pitchside still, and can we afford it.

Sadly, many are signing up for pitchside as they do not want to cause a fuss. But some of us with very long associations with the Albion have had enough, and are speaking out publicly.

I hope this answers any outstanding questions, and I look forward to you supporting your fellow fans.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Why don't you ask the Board, rather than the message board?

Did you ask Tony Bloom on his Q&A today? How about phoning and asking the sales team, or even email or write to Martin Perry?

Hi Phil,

Some good suggestions, but it takes two to have a conversation.

I did in fact email a question at 1.06pm but it wasn't taken up. Too controversial I expect.

The overall problem is that everybody says we should be grateful for the stadium, and not rock the boat by asking awkward questions. Like every other fan, of course we are grateful, but we just do not understand why promises made years ago, have now been dropped or omitted.

On behalf of disabled supporters, BODS have raised all these issues and more, but with weeks to go to the first ramp up event, it is clear that our questions are unwelcome.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I do take issue with the cost of a ticket being described as split 50/50 between disabled person and carer (if they require one)

It's not as if the carer can go on their own....

Funnily enough when me moved our dad in the Withdean disabled area, for the first season me and my brother alternated in looking after him. We had already bought him a non disabled ticket (thinking he could cope in the stand), but we moved in there first game of the season after advice from the club.

We never realised that a disabled supporter could take a carer, so I unknowingly sat in that area for a whole season with a South Stand season ticket !

As for the question "where can a wheelchair user go safely if not pitch level...", well - it that was the general way things were down, disabled people at work would be required all work in the reception.

Basically, like a lot of people I was generally surprised that "disabled areas" weren't distributed across the whole stadium. 4 there, 3 there etc.. etc...

They effectively become "disabled seats", rather than areas. Integration is what people are asking for Easy, not special treatment.

I know these things are complicated, but it's been achieved in other new stadia. I'm no expert on stadium design but I failed to here any reason why the Amex poses particular issues.

It's hard to explain just how bad the disabled section is at Withdean unless you have sat there.

There is a MASSIVE sense of being cut off from people.

You are also routinely thrown out of there if you are "trespassing...", adding to the feeling of isolation. We and my brother were even asked to leave when we went in there to tell some of Dad's friends that he had passed away.

Now there are obviously very good reasons why that happened, because technically you are pitch side. I'm just trying to get across the experience of being separated from the rest of the crowd.

There is you lot (the able bodied) and the rest who irrespective of their disability are er.. bunged in there.

I'd hoped those days were gone and with the the new stadium, I expected "state of the art" viewing facilities. From what I have read on here, I am very surprised to hear the the main disabled area is cut off from the rest of the fans. Astonished to hear that anything at pitch level is even on offer in this day and age.

I'm sure the view is good from the corner and it's probably ok'ish pitch side compared to the Withdean.

But I'm still surprised at the lack of choice. Like many on here, I expected to blown away by what had been achieved.

I'm not.

I am saddened to hear stories such as yours, but unfortunately it takes an able bodied fan experiencing what we have to week in week out, to understand and then explain so eloquently our problems.

The point you make about any pitchside positions is the final straw for many Albion stalwarts. We have a brand new stadium, but unlike others who have seized the opportunity, we have continued in the same vane.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am saddened to hear stories such as yours, but unfortunately it takes an able bodied fan experiencing what we have to week in week out, to understand and then explain so eloquently our problems.

The point you make about any pitchside positions is the final straw for many Albion stalwarts. We have a brand new stadium, but unlike others who have seized the opportunity, we have continued in the same vane.

Not really complaining about the current set up, it's just the way it is - for very good reasons. The stewards are great in there by the way.

Just trying to get across how rubbish it is. But then Withdean is rubbish isn't it - on a number of levels. It's just probably more rubbish for some than others...

.. But, one thing we did like (as a carer) was to be able to get up and out whenever you wanted.. and the seats were more comfortable than the South Stand :lolol:

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
BODS & NADS are still consulting with the club. The 2 main areas of discussion are the positions of the viewing areas for wheelchair users & parking for blue badge holders/ travel arrangements. Since January we have had 2 meetings with Martin Perry, Ken Brown & Richard Hebberd. We have been able to make our points & proposals directly to the club. BODS & NADS are waiting for the clubs response before we make any comment.

As far as pricing is concerned, I dont think any disabled person expects a concession purely because they are disabled .

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I'm glad your not a spokesperson for the Albions disabled supporters because your really not doing us any favours.

By raising the issues as experienced by the previous contributor Lindfield by the pond, makes me proud. I am just very sorry that too many of you are prepared to put up with second best.

Still your choice British Bulldog but don't complain after the event.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Get real.....

As a supported with 2 kids, I don't really have a choice either. I have to go in the family stand. If I had unlimted cash, I would have chosen some nice seats in the WSU, right in the centre, but I don't.

Count yourself lucky that your best mate, who also supports the Albion can come along for free - how much does he give you / buy you beers / hotdogs etc as he get a free ticket worth £400?

Without my best mate, A carer who comes around to look after my needs on almost a 24 hour basis, hates football.

Without them I cannot go, and so am indebted to them.

Unless you would like to volunteer and help me with my bodily fluids at half time? I thought not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would still like to know how you would have done things different?
I've read this thread with interest and was going to respond to the glib "To explain for the umpteenth time..." comment, with how I wished he would explain just once what he would do differently.

However on reflection, I think that would have been unfair. It should not be libra's concern as to how the club should organise its seating to best accomodate its disabled supporters, but he is absolutely right to push for their rights for suitable seating. If it is true that wheelchair access is only available in the corners, in 1901, or pitchside, then that isn't very good. I'd just wish someone else on this thread could confirm one way or the other whether that is actually the case...

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I've read this thread with interest and was going to respond to the glib "To explain for the umpteenth time..." comment, with how I wished he would explain just once what he would do differently.

However on reflection, I think that would have been unfair. It should not be libra's concern as to how the club should organise its seating to best accomodate its disabled supporters, but he is absolutely right to push for their rights for suitable seating. If it is true that wheelchair access is only available in the corners, in 1901, or pitchside, then that isn't very good. I'd just wish someone else on this thread could confirm one way or the other whether that is actually the case...

Maybe TinyTears could confirm the position.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I do see what you are saying but this is a discussion forum and I wanted to hear his opinion. I was not saying that it was his JOB to do this.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
By raising the issues as experienced by the previous contributor Lindfield by the pond, makes me proud. I am just very sorry that too many of you are prepared to put up with second best.

Still your choice British Bulldog but don't complain after the event.

I did'nt say I was happy with all the arrangements or that i'm prepared to put up with 2nd best but as has allready been pointed out bods and nads are still in consultation with the club so at the moment i'm waiting to see what the outcome of that is.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hopefully everything gets sorted. Beyond the seating, I'm sure that fans in wheelchairs can start to enjoy the rest of the match day experience like everyone else. I understand it terms of accessibility internally, the facilities are second to none ?

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010

At the moment I can confirm this is the case. The seating for wheelchair users is at pitch level or in the Southwest & southeast corners which until capacity is increased house no other supporters. The only other raised areas is in the 1901 club. We have spoken in length to the club & hope to have a response soon

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There are also quite a number of regular seats at pitch level too, the front 2 rows all the way round would be affording much the same view :shrug:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
bods and nads?

que?

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
I shouldn't laugh, but that just sounds so funny!!

Its ok to laugh I do everytime I write it. Although to be factually correct NADS ( the national association of disabled supporters) are now the LPF ( Level Playing field). Originally BODS ( Brighton Official Disabled Supporters) wanted to be called Seagulls Official Disabled Supportes, but we werent sure that would be appreciated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here