Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Season Ticket Prices

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I would be forever in your debt :)

Thank you for the offer. If it could happen even once it would be very much appreciated

Basically the guy who wants mainly evening games (probably no good to you either) will have first shout, my mate will also want the odd game, I am sure I will be able to get an odd game to you as well, we will have other things to consider during the season, holidays, other family committments etc etc, so I am happy to sell them to people I sort of know (well on here anyway!) unfortunatly for you all there is one game that wont be available, and that will be the first ticket in the book!!! (i know there not paper tickets!!!! :) )

What i shall be doing is once the fixture list is out is letting people know what games i definatly cant make, then in priority order you guys can book them, I have 3 people now and in my mind that will probably be enough :)

I presume one of the reasons why disabled people can't 'sit where they like' is that the ground may need to be evacuated quickly.
MOST disabled spectators aren't wheelchair users. They CAN and will sit where they like. They will be scattered across the whole stadium - unmonitored, of course, since there is no reason to identify yourself as "disabled", now that differential pricing has been abolished. Evacuation will only be as quick as the slowest walker. And there will be slow walkers everywhere.

... assuming by then that the club has arranged for the LEGAL requirement of sufficient blue badge parking ...
The current advice on how many Blue Badge parking spaces need to be provided is to be found in a document called "BS 8300:2009, Design of Buildings and their Approaches to Meet the Requirements of Disabled People - Code of Practice". This advises that, for leisure and recreational facilities generally, 6 per cent of total car parking capacity should be allocated to disabled users. However, it also advises that the figure needs to be higher for stadium parking, since all potential users need the parking facility at the same time.

The planning permission for the Albion stadium requires 2,000 - 2,200 parking spaces to be provided within 1.5 kilometres. 6 per cent of that figure is 120 - 132 Blue Badge spaces. Meeting the requirement for a "higher figure" than that, because it is a stadium, suggests the need for 150 or so Blue Badge parking spaces within easy walking distance of the stadium. Whether that figure will be achieved remains to be seen.

The Club's earlier view that disabled supporters will be well served by the railway and regular bus and park & ride services seems to me to be ill-founded. Although regular public transport services (bus and rail) are now all well provided with facilities for disabled users, matchday buses and trains will be very crowded - effectively denying disabled users access to the comfortable journey that they need. In particular, standing passengers will tend to crowd into the areas on buses and trains where priority seating and wheelchair spaces are provided - creating real problems for disabled fellow-passengers. This is another reason why it is ESSENTIAL that adequate Blue Badge parking is provided.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Just two things from me:

1. A lot of 'new' stadia that I have been to (The Stadium of Light & Pride Park) have areas for wheelchairs halfway up the stand, but at a lot of stadia, the entrance/exit is at that level. So, the actual position of the ground & the surrounding land may have an influence on where wheelchair users are situated, which is why they are at the top of the seating areas at the away end of Stadium MK. However, I have also seen large ramps used to move wheelchair bound fans from different heights of stands, so it is possible.

2. My (now ex-partner) was my carer & went to nearly all the games over the winter alone, simply because I was too poorly to go. No turnstile operator has ever checked his ticket & asked where the diaabled person is. Even when I do go to games, we go through different turnstiles. Again, one person's interpretation of a disabled person can be very different from another's. I would bet that none of the turnstile operators would ever class me as being disabled.

My personal opinion is that I am happy for people to ask questions about disability issues. The more people know how we feel and are prepared to understand someone else's point of view, then the better things can be.

That is all.

Meeting the requirement for a "higher figure" than that, because it is a stadium, suggests the need for 150 or so Blue Badge parking spaces within easy walking distance of the stadium. Whether that figure will be achieved remains to be seen.

I can see another cunning, last minute, mitigating plan/scheme from some Consultants looming into view here.

I can see another cunning, last minute, mitigating plan/scheme from some Consultants looming into view here.
Interestingly, the latest planning application - for a 650 space car park adjacent to the stadium, in the field next to the Coach Park - includes provision for just 26 "Wheelchair Spaces". This is significantly FEWER than the "more than 6 per cent" standard laid down in BS 8300:2009.

And whoever came up with the phrase "Wheelchair Spaces" clearly needs to gen up on the literature on accessibility.

Interestingly, the latest planning application - for a 650 space car park adjacent to the stadium, in the field next to the Coach Park - includes provision for just 26 "Wheelchair Spaces". This is significantly FEWER than the "more than 6 per cent" standard laid down in BS 8300:2009.

And whoever came up with the phrase "Wheelchair Spaces" clearly needs to gen up on the literature on accessibility.

Why am I not suprised? Wheelchairs in a soggy field - hmmm......

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
To be clear - I do not have issue with the prices.

The problem me and my wheelchair bound son (12 years old) have is the location of the disabled seating.

You have the choice of
1) Pitchside in the corners
2) In the corners on your own
3) Paying 1901 for middle on the half way line.

If you choose 1) Firstly who would CHOOSE 1)? How many of you went to the presentations and said - "yep I want the corner flag at pitch level" to be told that "Sorry but those are wheelchair only"? Thought not - its why those are the only seats empty on those half full premiership stadia on MoTD - the view is shit.

AND crucially for wheelchair users - you WILL get wet if it rains. At least at Withdean there is some cover. For those that don't realise, in a wheelchair, once cold, you cannot easily warm up. The brisk walk to the Park and Ride, and put the heating on in the car doesn't walk for wheel chair bound people.

I have seats in F Block for me and my son. I park his wheel chair under the steps and carry him to his seat, as the view from the disabled "section" (not very inclusive, but it is a temporary stadium!!!) is shit. For me and my son at Withdean, if it is wet, he can't go. If I misjudge the weather, we leave early. I call home to arrange a hot bath, as he is shivering and in tears.

If you choose 2) Again, all able bodied people would like to be with their own supporters or in this case with SOME supporters. At the AMEX you are in a single row connecting the away fans in the south to the home fans in the east and west stand.

Irronically, apart for option 3) 1901, the best wheelchair seats are with the away fans - at the back (dry) and with your own fans.

And as for option 3) This is the only comparable option for wheelchair supporters to those who are in WSU or WSL or ES, or FS!! The price you pay for that option is 1901 prices - not very comparable.

IMO it really is disgraceful that in this day and age, a new modern stadium can be built with such disregard to wheel chair users.

Wembley is superb. There are countless viewing platforms all around the stadium at various heights and positions. They are slightly elevated so that when things get exciting, and people stand, the wheelchair people can still see - unlike Stoke this season, when my 12 year old boy, could only see 1/3 of the pitch, as most in front refused to move or sit. Same for Old Trafford, and MK Dons - both good stadia.

For those that don't understand or "get" my rant, I really hope you don't find yourself in my boys situation - needing a wheelchair and remember you too will grow old.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
For those who do not know the current position with regards to the positioning of disabled supporters, we basically do not have a choice, unlike the majority of able bodied supporters.

The ONLY positions for disabled supporters are either literally sitting at the pitchside, or in the corners on your own, one of which is right by the away supporters. If you want to go with your able bodied friends, simply forget it. As they trot off to the North stand, row whatever, the nearest you will be to them is pitchside north stand.

If you are one of those 'lucky' disabled supporters that get the chance to sit in the south stand corner, you get to sit next to away fans, not even your own bloody supporters. How can this be good?

The lack of understanding shown here by some, is not only short sighted, but reflects poorly and is most unfortunate.

It also goes someway to explain why many disabled supporters are signing up for the adverse seating positions, and not causing a fuss, for fear of being ridiculed by the less informed on NSC.

To me, the best way to judge a football club is how we treat our weakest members/colleagues. Going by some of the comments here, we have a long way to go on many levels.

I'm glad your not a spokesperson for the Albions disabled supporters because your really not doing us any favours.

Thank you for completely missing the point!

As disabled people we would like to be treated as 'normal', but instead when it comes to seating at Falmer, we only have two options.

1. Pitchside where you are open to the elements, which is bad enough for normal folk, never mind those whose illnesses may be affected by such conditions.

2. Sit alone in the corners, one of which is neat the away support.

These options, are not being treated equally.

How many of you 'smart' people, would put up with being told, "Sorry mate, you can't go into that part of the ground with your own fans, never mind with your own friends"

Respectively, before commenting, please make yourself aware of the facts. By not, you are adding fuel to the arguement that disabled people are just whingers.

Lets hope that you never have to sit pitchside, like those two young lads on saturday in front of the family stand, who were quite clearly in some distress because of the heat, and the lack of facilities to accomodate them.

Get real.....

As a supported with 2 kids, I don't really have a choice either. I have to go in the family stand. If I had unlimted cash, I would have chosen some nice seats in the WSU, right in the centre, but I don't.

Count yourself lucky that your best mate, who also supports the Albion can come along for free - how much does he give you / buy you beers / hotdogs etc as he get a free ticket worth £400?

To be clear - I do not have issue with the prices.

The problem me and my wheelchair bound son (12 years old) have is the location of the disabled seating.

You have the choice of
1) Pitchside in the corners
2) In the corners on your own
3) Paying 1901 for middle on the half way line.

If you choose 1) Firstly who would CHOOSE 1)? How many of you went to the presentations and said - "yep I want the corner flag at pitch level" to be told that "Sorry but those are wheelchair only"? Thought not - its why those are the only seats empty on those half full premiership stadia on MoTD - the view is shit.

AND crucially for wheelchair users - you WILL get wet if it rains. At least at Withdean there is some cover. For those that don't realise, in a wheelchair, once cold, you cannot easily warm up. The brisk walk to the Park and Ride, and put the heating on in the car doesn't walk for wheel chair bound people.

I have seats in F Block for me and my son. I park his wheel chair under the steps and carry him to his seat, as the view from the disabled "section" (not very inclusive, but it is a temporary stadium!!!) is shit. For me and my son at Withdean, if it is wet, he can't go. If I misjudge the weather, we leave early. I call home to arrange a hot bath, as he is shivering and in tears.

If you choose 2) Again, all able bodied people would like to be with their own supporters or in this case with SOME supporters. At the AMEX you are in a single row connecting the away fans in the south to the home fans in the east and west stand.

Irronically, apart for option 3) 1901, the best wheelchair seats are with the away fans - at the back (dry) and with your own fans.

And as for option 3) This is the only comparable option for wheelchair supporters to those who are in WSU or WSL or ES, or FS!! The price you pay for that option is 1901 prices - not very comparable.

IMO it really is disgraceful that in this day and age, a new modern stadium can be built with such disregard to wheel chair users.

Wembley is superb. There are countless viewing platforms all around the stadium at various heights and positions. They are slightly elevated so that when things get exciting, and people stand, the wheelchair people can still see - unlike Stoke this season, when my 12 year old boy, could only see 1/3 of the pitch, as most in front refused to move or sit. Same for Old Trafford, and MK Dons - both good stadia.

For those that don't understand or "get" my rant, I really hope you don't find yourself in my boys situation - needing a wheelchair and remember you too will grow old.

Does anyone really think this represents a fair deal for those home supporters who are wheel chair users? If I were Tony Bloom, I'd be embarrassed.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The current advice on how many Blue Badge parking spaces need to be provided is to be found in a document called "BS 8300:2009, Design of Buildings and their Approaches to Meet the Requirements of Disabled People - Code of Practice". This advises that, for leisure and recreational facilities generally, 6 per cent of total car parking capacity should be allocated to disabled users. However, it also advises that the figure needs to be higher for stadium parking, since all potential users need the parking facility at the same time.

So it's not law then? I didn't realise that, I thought it was part of the DDA, but as it is only advisory, then the club is within its rights to provide the level of access that it is.

Could it be that the contractors/architects interpretation of the advice provided by BS 8300:2009 has lead them down this route? From budgetary and logistical points, the way they have done it suits them, whilst on paper meeting the guidance from the BS.

On the understanding that MP, TB etc are not fascist bastards building an Arian culture at the Amex, surely these concerns should be put directly to them. Perhaps they are not aware of the way it has developed, or that there are objections to the way it is seemingly coming together. I really think that it should be broached with them, to find out exactly what their point of view is, and to challenge them on the points made here that seem to be unsatisfactory.

I imagine that they have taken advice, from professionals in the field, but if there is a doubt that they are not meeting the needs of disabled supporters, then it should be brought up with them directly, now, not on here.

So it's not law then? I didn't realise that, I thought it was part of the DDA, but as it is only advisory, then the club is within its rights to provide the level of access that it is.

Could it be that the contractors/architects interpretation of the advice provided by BS 8300:2009 has lead them down this route? From budgetary and logistical points, the way they have done it suits them, whilst on paper meeting the guidance from the BS.

On the understanding that MP, TB etc are not fascist bastards building an Arian culture at the Amex, surely these concerns should be put directly to them. Perhaps they are not aware of the way it has developed, or that there are objections to the way it is seemingly coming together. I really think that it should be broached with them, to find out exactly what their point of view is, and to challenge them on the points made here that seem to be unsatisfactory.

I imagine that they have taken advice, from professionals in the field, but if there is a doubt that they are not meeting the needs of disabled supporters, then it should be brought up with them directly, now, not on here.

The accommodation for wheelchair users at the Amex has been raised with club directly previously (December last year?) and replied to by Martin Perry; some of the response has been cut 'n pasted into earlier posts in this thread. I thought at the time, and still do, that the provision is unsatisfactory.
As for the "temporary" car parking in Bennet's field; this is now a formal planning application to Lewes DC and anyone has the opportunity to comment directly to the council on it. Doing so seems to me an appropriate way to address the seemingly low provision of Blue Badge parking spaces proposed in the application.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It seems to me reading the comments on this thread that this issue is one of personal opinion, and probably understandable in light of posters experience and individual situation. However, it also seems likely that the club has been asked, has reviewed, and has answered the questions, albeit not to everyone’s satisfaction. It is a shame that you can’t please all the people, all the time.

On the issue of parking spaces, would it be something that can change and develop as time goes on, based on demand. Is it known how many blue badge spaces are required, or is it speculation at this time?

As for spectator locations, as has been said, many disabled supporters are not wheelchair users, so as the entire stadium meets the DDA for accessibility, inside and immediately outside, then there should be no problem for those.

For disabled supporters the club states:

“Disabled season ticket holders & BODS members. We have about 150 such supporters and they will be first in the queue for disability seating at the American Express Community Stadium.”

Has this not been honoured? Or is it this that others find objectionable?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here