Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Diego Gomez

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Same sort of age.The first I remember Ipswich had Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijssen
There were a few before them. Leeds had Johanson (sp?) and West Ham had Clyde Best. And not forgetting the Albion's Foreman.

Before my time, but Newcastle had Chilean George Robledo for a few years.

But foreign players were few until the arrival of the Premier League

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just got around to watching his sizzle reel…

Very, very impressive - even accounting for the lower level of competition. 6’1, pacy, charges forward but most impressively can really pick a pass. So many clips of him playing a ball in behind a defender, rather than playing to feet and slowing down an attack.

Again, 6’1 which I love. With Wieffer sitting in the Rodri role, it will allow Gomez to bomb forward (as in the clips) and still give us height and steel in the middle when defending. (No offence intended to Groß and Gilmour, who are different types of players).

You can see our new look side coming together piece by piece like a jigsaw.

Very excited about this one - and Wieffer. Losing Groß is massive, but it looks like we are trying very hard to mitigate that loss with some excellent signings.

It’s all about a group of individuals who gel together and we have had an amazing group time will see if this new group are similar

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There were a few before them. Leeds had Johanson (sp?) and West Ham had Clyde Best. And not forgetting the Albion's Foreman.

Fun fact: The heroic status of George Robledo resonated with many, including a young John Lennon, whose drawing of his cup final goal eventually turned up on the cover of his 1974 album Walls and Bridges.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
If we're sharing reminiscences, I remember it being a really big deal in the media when Forest signed Andrea Silenzi. He was the first Italian to play in the Premier League and it was seen as significant that he was choosing to play in England rather than in Serie A, which was then considered the world's top league.

How times change.

As it happens, he was a pretty massive flop and that became apparent very quickly, which made all the media gushing look a bit foolish.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seems a possibility this will be one who joins in January, even if he physically signs this summer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

George Robledo was the first non Brit to be top scorer in the English league. But, he had lived in Yorkshire since he was 5, had a Yorkshire accent, and was a coal miner before he went full pro with Barnsley.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If we're sharing reminiscences, I remember it being a really big deal in the media when Forest signed Andrea Silenzi. He was the first Italian to play in the Premier League and it was seen as significant that he was choosing to play in England rather than in Serie A, which was then considered the world's top league.

How times change.

As it happens, he was a pretty massive flop and that became apparent very quickly, which made all the media gushing look a bit foolish.
Seria A revenge for Luther Blisset.

Last edited:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
George Robledo was the first non Brit to be top scorer in the English league. But, he had lived in Yorkshire since he was 5, had a Yorkshire accent, and was a coal miner before he went full pro with Barnsley.
Didn't he score a controversial goal in the cup against Arsenal?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Didn't he score a controversial goal in the cup against Arsenal?
No idea, I just know a bit about him as he and his brother lodged with relatives when he was at Barnsley, and they became friends of my Grandad whilst they were there.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This guy looks great, what an overhaul of our midfield though. Absolutely buzzing for next season, we are being spoiled with these signings even if Billy G and Gross sadly depart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here