Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Diego Gomez

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fair pla
For those still interested in the origins of Spitting feathers.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Spitting feathers'?

Many people, especially those under 50 years of age, are clear what ‘spitting feathers’ means to them, that is, ‘angry, or agitated’. Some also attempt to explain the derivation of that meaning as arising from the imagery of someone foaming at the mouth when angry, or even of losing feathers like an agitated bird in a cockfight.
Others, predominantly from the older generation, are just as clear in their understanding that ‘spitting feathers’ means ‘extremely thirsty’. The imagery there is a little more intuitive and matches the American expression ‘having a mouthful of feathers’ and ‘spitting cotton’, and the Australian ‘spitting chips’ (of wood), which all mean extremely thirsty. That interpretation seems to be especially commonplace in the northern English counties, although it isn’t limited to there. I can recall my father using it with that meaning, in the UK’s Black Country region in the 1950s and, as anyone from there will be very ready to point out, the Black Country isn’t in the north. In more recent years it has crept south and, in 1997, it cropped up in the BBC comedy series that was undoubtedly southern, The Fast Show:

“All joking aside, love, I’m spitting feathers here, let’s have a nice cuppa.”

How then do there come to be two meanings, with no apparent connection between them, for the same phrase? The ‘thirsty’ meaning has certainly had had the longer life. ‘Spitting feathers’ appears to derive from the earlier term ‘spitting white’ (to eject frothy-white sputum from a dry mouth). Shakespeare uses the latter in Henry IV, Part 2, 1597:
The invaluable Notes and Queries (A Medium of Inter-communication for Literary Men and General Readers), for January 1865, makes a link between the two terms:

“Surely Falstaff’s spitting white is what, in Lancashire low life, is called ‘spitting feathers’. A man, who has been drinking is feverish, his mouth is dry, and his saliva white.”

The ‘angry’ meaning of the term doesn’t make an appearance until the 1970s; for example, this piece from Davidyne Mayleas’s novel Rewedded Bliss, 1977:

“Sometimes I could spit feathers. Tom and I have been married three years and he will still sometimes call me Tina. That’s the name of his former wife.”

The ‘angry’ interpretation of ‘spitting feathers’ is likely to have originated from another expression for angry – ‘spitting blood’. Anyone who knew the latter term and heard ‘spitting feathers’ for the first time might very well assume that the two expression meant the same thing.
Fair play to you, but that's bollocks. I'm 70 in September and spitting feathers has meant angry all my life, an expression my mother used to use.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Genuine question: why does it have to only be after the Olympics? What difference do they make to him coming here (unless he gets a career ending injury)?

I'm not sure what's being reported is what the agent meant.

This is what he said.

He (Diego) is a desirable player, but at this moment he is 100% in the Olympic Games, to represent our country well, then we will see what we do with that, I just want to respect this moment and respect the national team.

“I don’t want to give so much time to this issue, if something comes out, let it be announced. If not, it will be in the medium to short-term.

“They (Inter Miami) are aware. We have been talking to them (Brighton) for a while.”

Sounds like he is trying to dodge the question and big up his player being in the Olympics.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Your m
I remember my mum using the saying "splitting image" to describe a doppelganger. Now the term used is "spitting image". The question is was this new variant spawned by the TV puppet show?
This may resolve a long running, but ultimately pointless and boring,
Most likely explanation here is that your mum misheard the phrase as a youngster and then didn't want to admit she was wrong. "Spitting image" dates back to at least the 1880s and has nothing to do with "splitting".

https://www.etymonline.com/word/spitting image
Indeed. Like muppets who talk about changing tact instead of changing tack. Or say just a tadge instead of just a tad. God help us!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure what's being reported is what the agent meant.

This is what he said.

He (Diego) is a desirable player, but at this moment he is 100% in the Olympic Games, to represent our country well, then we will see what we do with that, I just want to respect this moment and respect the national team.

“I don’t want to give so much time to this issue, if something comes out, let it be announced. If not, it will be in the medium to short-term.

“They (Inter Miami) are aware. We have been talking to them (Brighton) for a while.”

Sounds like he is trying to dodge the question and big up his player being in the Olympics.
................. or fishing for other (bigger) bids coming in.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I find it a bit odd the player/agent wouldn't want to tie up a move before he plays in the Olympics,yup I get he wants to represent his country but I'd rather tie up a nice 4 year deal in the EPL before I do in case of injury.

Anyhoo I'd be very happy if this one happens however long a short / medium,time frame is.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I suppose we have now joined that list of clubs I used to dislike - very little English representation on the field (when Dunkie and Solly bow out) I think that's only Hinshelwood I can think of likely to be on the pitch. No doubt someone much more well informed than me will tell me of all the English talent we have.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I suppose we have now joined that list of clubs I used to dislike - very little English representation on the field (when Dunkie and Solly bow out) I think that's only Hinshelwood I can think of likely to be on the pitch. No doubt someone much more well informed than me will tell me of all the English talent we have.
I know what you mean, but that’s the way football has gone, the constant are the supporters……

We’ve come a long way since Ardiles and Villa…..😃

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Steele/Rushworth, Webster, Welbeck, Dunk, Solly, Milner, Hinshelwood off the top of my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here