Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you support another team before you became a Brighton fan?

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I hated football until 1990 when I was 16 and straightaway supported Brighton as my brother supported them already.
Though rather embarassingly I liked Man U when I was at school because I fancied Lee Sharpe, had posters of him all over my wall :blush:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Birmingham City.

I was born in Warwickshire, and my Dad used to take me to St. Andrews (The team of Trevor Francis, Gordon Taylor, Bob Latchford, Bob Hatton.)

We moved to Sussex when I was 10, and I went with some school friends to the Goldstone. I was hooked - whether it was standing with my mates rather than sitting with my Dad or the actual football that was the attraction I'm not sure, but they sure were happy days.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yes, I was a glory-hunting Liverpool fan back in the late seventies / early eighties.

Had a red t-shirt, onto which I'd sellotaped the letters Hitachi, cut out of A4 paper, and I used to run about the back garden pretending to be a Liverpool player. Then on 17th October 1981, my brother (who was a Brighton fan) took me to see my Anfield idols at the Goldstone, and we stood in the North Stand, right behind the goal. I went through the turnstiles as an eight-year-old Liverpool fan, but came out a born-again Seagull! Marvellous day! It was a full-house that afternoon, and I think the amazing atmosphere combined with a stunning Albion comeback (3-1 down to pull off a 3-3 draw) did the trick.

:albion2:

Brings a tear to my eye :)

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
always really been an Albion fan to be honest

ALTHOUGH

when i was growing up i used to always get the new Liverpool kits on offer and ran around the playgrounds pretending to be Robbie Fowler or Jamie Redknapp

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I grew up in Sussex but in the early days I was very much a Premiershite fan. I supported Tottenham as a youngster because I liked their all white kit in the 1980s and my best friends at the time were Spurs fans. Brighton were always a second team. Pretty much everyone at school supported a Premiership team and Brighton.

But as I've got older I've slowly come to loathe our top tier. Overpaid scum who complain about £60k per week salaries and never turn it on for their country, ever increasing hordes of plastic fans, clubs with no heart, and dodgy owners who care nothing about clubs' history, culture, community etc. And as I've got older I've also cared a hell of a lot more about Brighton and become a lot more patriotic about Sussex. And next season will be my first a proper season ticket holder at Withers!

It may be a poor ground, and we may not win every game, but I'd rather watch a team full of local Sussex lads trying giving it their all and playing pretty good football any day of the week. And I think my transition was confirmed to me when this past season I chose to go to Southend midweek for a 'meaningless' end of season game than go out to the pub and watch Liverpool vs Arsenal on the Wednesday night.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Quite a few people know about me and my allegiance to Spurs.

But I don't actually see any contradiction in wanting Spurs to do well while supporting the Albion through and through.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didn't start watching the Albion until I was 13.

Prior to that my First Division team was Everton, purely because I watched them play (and lose) against West Brom in the first FA Cup final I watched. They went on to win the league a couple of years later.

I was taken to watch them a couple of times in London. Chelsea and Palace. Changed allegiance to Brighton in the first season I watched them, under Pat Sayward.

Ironically, I have been to a fair few grounds over the years but I have never been to Goodison. Couldn't care what happened to them these days. I was quite hoping that Wimbledon would relegate them a few years back.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
up until the age of 12 i was a united 'supporter' only really because i saw them on tv, they were good and i didnt really know much about football! i always followed brighton because of my dad being from sussex and would check the scores every now and thenbut always liked to see them doing well.

then one of my dads contracts abroad finished and i think it was an fa cup weekend because i sat up late with him when he was at home and we watched the highlights of us demolishishing a non league team. after that i started following the albion more vigorously and got my first shirt two weeks later.

now im brighton through and through, have a season ticket for next year and paul reids sock from the play off final on my wall! and dont give united a second look, dont even like to see them do well.

being surrounded by palarse and millwall fans and being the only brighton fan in the school i went to i made an alliance with the only cardiff supporter in the school and now i look to see how they do and if brighton arent playing or i cant get to the match occasionally pop to ninian with that mate and in return he comes down to withdean and as we took so much stick at school we have a mutual hatred of palace :thumbsup: however if brighton ever play cardiff the friendship goes a bit sour for a couple of days!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WAY to many ex Spurs fans on this thread

And Montalcino are playing the second leg of their playoff game this afternoon (having drawn the away leg last week).
Marvellous scenes.

Montalcino get a goalless draw at home against Sextum Bientina and progress to the play-off final against Albinia.

I know you lot don't CARE. Tough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here