Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight warns TV away from Seagulls opening Amex game

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
My reckoning.

It wont be televised. It will be at 3pm on 6th Aug. It'll probably be available somewhere on a dodgy stream or even one of the betting websites.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've not read through the whole post but I can see the argument from both sides. In my opinion, the 5.30pm kick off on the Saturday with it televised would be the best solution all round, no?

No.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I don't think it's fair on the people who can't make the game, there will be thousands who would be dying to see the first league game at the Amex but can't make it or can't get a ticket, TV would be a good idea and a 17:15 kick off is harmless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is 3p.m on the Saturday so important? What would be so unbearably terrible with a 5:15 k.o? Or even an early afternoon k.o on the Sunday?

As someone who can't make the match I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to watch it. Yes it won't be any where near as good as being there, but it'll be a damn sight better than nothing.

I want, after fourteen f***ing years, to be able to see the players emerge from the tunnel onto the pitch for the very first time at our home. I want to hear Good Old Sussex By The Sea being played for the first time at our home. I want to see the players kick off for the very first time at our home. I want, after fourteen f***ing years, to finally lay the ghost of the Goldstone to rest.

After fourteen years, countless marches, demo's, petitions, letters and whatever else, is that really too much to ask?[/QUOTE.

That is exactly my view and I am a person who really gets annoyed at football and the kick offs being dictated to by the police and tv but there are occassions when needs must and I think that this is one such occassion.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Why is 3p.m on the Saturday so important? What would be so unbearably terrible with a 5:15 k.o? Or even an early afternoon k.o on the Sunday?

As someone who can't make the match I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to watch it. Yes it won't be any where near as good as being there, but it'll be a damn sight better than nothing.

I want, after fourteen f***ing years, to be able to see the players emerge from the tunnel onto the pitch for the very first time at our home. I want to hear Good Old Sussex By The Sea being played for the first time at our home. I want to see the players kick off for the very first time at our home. I want, after fourteen f***ing years, to finally lay the ghost of the Goldstone to rest.

After fourteen years, countless marches, demo's, petitions, letters and whatever else, is that really too much to ask?[/QUOTE.

That is exactly my view and I am a person who really gets annoyed at football and the kick offs being dictated to by the police and tv but there are occassions when needs must and I think that this is one such occassion.

Exactly my view too... if by a miracle I get a ticket to be there I will be overjoyed but it wont change my view.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
let the world see the albion in their full glory and see what we have achieved!!!! we are back!!! bigger, better and stronger, tv money would be greatly recieved BEARING IN MIND WHAT TONY BLOOM HAS PUT IN SO FAR!!! lets show off our new home. lets put on a show for all to see..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
let the world see the albion in their full glory and see what we have achieved!!!! we are back!!! bigger, better and stronger, tv money would be greatly recieved BEARING IN MIND WHAT TONY BLOOM HAS PUT IN SO FAR!!! lets show off our new home. lets put on a show for all to see..

As if many fans from other cubs will give a toss. 'Oooh, a new ground - we've got one of them...' etc

Some fans maybe interested, but the vast majority won't be fussed - especially as the idea of a live match is to show a game of football taking place on the big green area bit, not to have the football equivalent of 'Location, Location, Location' or 'Come Dine With Me' stuffed in their faces.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
As if many fans from other cubs will give a toss. 'Oooh, a new ground - we've got one of them...' etc

Some fans maybe interested, but the vast majority won't be fussed - especially as the idea of a live match is to show a game of football taking place on the big green area bit, not to have the football equivalent of 'Location, Location, Location' or 'Come Dine With Me' stuffed in their faces.
single,lonely, bored...... cheer up misery!!!!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

most of the world wont give a toss - for the casual, premier league arm chair fan i can say with near certainty that brighton v doncaster is going to appeal about as much as gout

the television companies would be MAD to pick that when you've got the likes of west ham v cardiff, southampton v leeds and coventry v leciester all scheduled for the opening weekend.

if are stupid enough to pick it though, then of course we should snap their hands off and have it televised. more money and by being welcoming a far greater chance they'll come back more regularly

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
My friend is a season ticket holder at chelsea but due to uni he has relocated to Exeter so cant go to every game - mainly only saturday afternoon games, last year they only had 3 home games all season at 3pm on a saturday. Lets just hope it never comes to that, if one game a season gets changed, im fine with that...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
My friend is a season ticket holder at chelsea but due to uni he has relocated to Exeter so cant go to every game - mainly only saturday afternoon games, last year they only had 3 home games all season at 3pm on a saturday. Lets just hope it never comes to that, if one game a season gets changed, im fine with that...

well, if you want the team to make the premier league then it will could well come to that

Dick knight did a lot for this club and we will always be grateful but towards the last years he was holding Brighton back, and the the statement in the paper make me glad he no longer's pulls the strings, BensGrandad agree with what you said, and also since last season Brighton have had a fair amount of courage for the right reason, so long it may continue
The strings were being pulled by the Bloom family a long time before Dick relinquished the Chairmanship. They were holding back from "spunking money at the team" until the time was right. And that needed ALL of the preliminary work to be completed on the planning processes for Falmer. And there was a lot of stuff still to be done by DK once the planning permission was achieved. The idea that DK was holding things back is preposterous. It was the Bloom family who were waiting for the right time.

The outcome has been near perfect ... we need to thank both DK and TB for getting it right.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If he was an exile who couldn't get to this match he would have a different view I promise you!

Bring on TV coverage and let us all share the special day

Exactly this... Knight must be getting senile...

The problems with our debts started long before the 90s in fact can be traced back to us getting promoted to the old 1st Division and the contracts etc given out by Mike Bamber especially after the death of Keith Wickenden. We suffered as a result of our own success as has happened to many clubs. Yes DK came in and ran a tight ship simply because he had no choice but he did this well and we must all be grateful, but lets now move on and promote our image and plans to a bigger and wider audience.

I think these extended player contracts were more an example of poor management rather than an underlying cause of the club's demise. Sure they may not have been introduced if Keith Wickenden had not been killed but a business that functions only because shareholders are constantly putting in more cash to underpin its revenue expenditure is on rocky ground. Inevitably it will flounder (as we did) when that source dries up.

dean.matt

May 10, 2011
There will be a lot of fans who won't be able to get to the game due to the game selling out. It should be televised for those fans to get a chance to see the game. :amex:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While I can understand the point of view of those who can't get to the game, I really hope that it's not televised.

For a start, there's a reduced bus and train service on Sundays and in the evenings and give how we don't know how transport is going to bear up, the first game is not the game to experiment.

Second, it would spoil it for the kids. My little boy is really excited about the first game already, he'll be really upset if he won't be able to go (and there must be 100s of kids in the same boat). This is our future generation of supporters.

Finally, it will be great to have a sold out Amex for our first game. I can see a lot of Donny supporters skipping the trip and watching it on the box. I want the stadium packed to the gunwales.

Brighton v Blackpool a few weeks later looks a much better bet for a televised game.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Absolutey ridiculous, touch of sour grapes I feel. The game will be a sell out at the stadium and there will be many who would like to watch this historic game both local and exiles around the world so for everybody's sake it is a TV must. The revenue, although handy, is not the major factor, the major factor is allowing the numbers to watch the game who will wish to. It will probabaly be the main match on Football League show but that is not the same as showing it live. If it means changing the kick off to accomodate this so be it lets have our glory at the end of 14 years wait and for this DK should also be thankful especially after his efforts to achieve this.
Bollocks! It must be a 3pm kick off end of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here