Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight warns TV away from Seagulls opening Amex game

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
TV won't be able to bring you that.

You will be able to see it, but you won't be able to experience it.

Always this. Like I said above - Wimbledon's tennis is attended for the experience, sells out, and it is televised all over the world. It's the experience of being there that sells tickets, otherwise everyone could just as easily sit at home and watch every ball, in slo-mo and replays, close up with commentary (or without)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are we a minority EP?

Yes we are. I think the interests of the 18,000 STH come first, and I suspect that they would prefer a 3pm kick-off on the first Saturday of the season.

Watching it on TV is nothing compared to being there, as others have said.

I may be totally wrong however, why don't we have a poll to see what the response is, and I'll happily admit I am out of touch if I'm wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I shall be there but I am sure if through circumstances I couldnt be I would still be very emotional when the players actually appear from the tunnel or wherever and then when the ref blows his whistle. It will then register WE ARE HOME. There are many who ufortunately will not have lived to see the day lets not begrudge those that wish to but cannot get to the game for whatever reason, the opportunity to see and and feel the moment.

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I can see both sides of this argument and don't have a particularly strong opinion either way. On a totally selfish level though I'll be gutted if it gets switched to Friday evening as I'll have to either cut my holiday short by a day or miss the game. And yes, I probably should have thought about that earlier, but I can't get used to the season starting so early these days.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes we are. I think the interests of the 18,000 STH come first, and I suspect that they would prefer a 3pm kick-off on the first Saturday of the season.

Watching it on TV is nothing compared to being there, as others have said.

I may be totally wrong however, why don't we have a poll to see what the response is, and I'll happily admit I am out of touch if I'm wrong.

I dont think you are wrong but I aslo dont think 18,000 fans (most of whom would prefer 3pm) would insist on 3pm if it meant not considerting the rest of the fans who worked with them and supported them. Or are or we really that selfish?

But EP you miss the point.... by all means DK can think that but he shouldnt be quoting it across the papers. As a former chairman of this club surely he must understand that there are BHA fans who want to see the game from all over the wolrd... he is publicly saying he doesnt care about them....he should know better. He begged us to support and come to the marches.. so he knows we are out there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Absolutey ridiculous, touch of sour grapes I feel. The game will be a sell out at the stadium and there will be many who would like to watch this historic game both local and exiles around the world so for everybody's sake it is a TV must. The revenue, although handy, is not the major factor, the major factor is allowing the numbers to watch the game who will wish to. It will probabaly be the main match on Football League show but that is not the same as showing it live. If it means changing the kick off to accomodate this so be it lets have our glory at the end of 14 years wait and for this DK should also be thankful especially after his efforts to achieve this.
Cobblers,... 3pm Sat afternoon,..... thats British football........ wake up in the morning, leisurely breakfast,... then travel to the ground or pub,... a few jars, then the game and 5live for results service,... thats what we want......

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
by all means DK can think that but he shouldnt be quoting it across the papers. As a former chairman of this club surely he must understand that there are BHA fans who want to see the game from all over the wolrd... he is publicly saying he doesnt care about them....he should know better. He begged us to support and come to the marches.. so he knows we are out there.

I can't quite believe I've just read that.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I'd like all the away ends sold out for our first season, and what better way then having effectively a 90 minute advert for the Amex broadcast to the wider football community. I'm sure this consideration is in our Chairman's thoughts.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I don't think he is, he was phoned up by Andy Naylor and asked for an opinion, he said he prefers a traditional kick off time, not that he doesn't care about you.

In which case the problem is the spin that the Argus is putting on it.... I havent read the article because it is not online. However, seeing as DK should be experienced at dealing with the press he should have expected that.... he would have been better advised to say '3pm is the right time for a game to be played. However, Im sure the club will do the right thing to make sure all of those supporters, here in Brighton and elsewhere, have the chance to see their team play their first game in their own ground.' or something similar. He knows the media doesn't he?

Anyway... this is just going on and on... I was offended.... I am still dissapointed that DK didnt think before he said something but I will live...as you said EP, big men move on (possibly earlier than I am doing :))

Last edited:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
If it's on Sky I for one shall be staying at home. I'm going to have to PAY for the train, I'd rather sit at home and watch it for free tbh. :shrug:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Cobblers,... 3pm Sat afternoon,..... thats British football........ wake up in the morning, leisurely breakfast,... then travel to the ground or pub,... a few jars, then the game and 5live for results service,... thats what we want......

You won't like the Prem' then ! ! !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That is all very interesting - BUT WHAT IS SAID ABOUT TRANSFERS ON PAGE38 PLEASE? :bigwave:

is now on the argus site - three more in by first week back in training which is 90% where he wants to be (so a couple of loan players still to come I guess)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Surely a game where what's happening on the pitch is more important like Palace at home would be more attractive to an exiled fan. As others have said you are not really going to get much of the sense of occasion of the opening game from the TV.
It would be better than nothing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd like all the away ends sold out for our first season, and what better way then having effectively a 90 minute advert for the Amex broadcast to the wider football community. I'm sure this consideration is in our Chairman's thoughts.

I can't see many people (if any) deciding to go to an away game because they saw the ground on the TV.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Any TV coverage of our first game at the Amex will be a big anti-climax for Brighton fans watching from afar; there'll probably be a filmed in advance one or two-minute feature on the new stadium and it's wonderful facilities, and then on to the usual football coverage. The average non-Brighton footie fan watching won't want to watch too much about the Amex, - sure they'll be interested to a point, but the TV's focus of attention, and the reason for most people tuning in will be the football. Players on grass.

Our fans excitement and the atmosphere of being in the new stadium just won't translate to television. There will be a couple of live shots of grown men blubbing, some smiling fans and JCLs waving at the cameras. The experience will be so diluted on TV. I'm afraid it's going to be a 'you have to be there to experience it' event - I feel genuinely sorry for fans who for whatever reason can't be there to share the occasion with the rest of us, but sadly that's the way it is.

If TV want to televise a 3pm kick off, then fine with me - but we've waited long enough for the day to arrive, and I wouldn't like to have the first game start at a non-traditional time to suit Sky. After the first game, they can cover as many games as they like, at whatever time they like, - but let us enjoy the moment, the emotion and the atmosphere of our first game at our new home in the way we've dreamed about over the years.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Old thinking. TB is not going to run this club into the ground now, not really.
You cannot compare the nineties with now of course, but we really were dead in the water without big money investment. Yes DK was wise enough - he had no choice or money to extend, to do anything else. Now we really can invest, but if you notice the club isn't plonking a hundred mil into expensive players and big wage bills - it's hoped that the support and the management and the natural desire and abilities of our players will (as it did last season) see us good.
I'd hate to see BHA do a QPR and price seats up beyond the average working wager's ability to come. So - get the sponsors, the tv, the prize money, advertisers to supplement the club! Maybe, just maybe there could be an interest in our Championship league from abroad too? TV channels proliferate worldwide, streaming channels can generate more income if you could select the match of your choice anywhere on the internet. Exiles might spend a fiver per game, as might foreign fans with an interest in us, or people who just can't get to the stadium for the day's event.

Never said TB would run us into the ground. He seems a shrewd businessman with the best interests of the club at heart. As chairman go he must be amongst the very best in the land.

I just think Dick Knight's achievements for the club are easily forgotten. He created the base for which Bloom is building on.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here