Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight warns TV away from Seagulls opening Amex game

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This match should kick off at 3pm.

Why is it so important to have the first match on TV? It's not as though those who aren't there can savour the atmosphere, look around, taste the pies, drink the beer, piss in the bogs, get stuck in the train queue. TV can't bring them that experience.

If it's purely because they want to see the Albion play, then a match against Donny isn't going to float the TV companies' boat, and any other subsequent match ought to suffice.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have been very supportive of Dick as I think he has done great things for the club but that comment just makes me sick. Not all BHA supporters live in and around Brighton and there are many many of us who have put money into the club, participated in marches even travelled half way across the world to support the club so why should the first day be restricted to only those living in Brighton. If he really feels that way he should keep his thoughts to himself rather than slapping us in the face. The club will have a full capacity on that day whatever happens plus tv revenue so it isnt as if the club would lose money.

I really hope Tony ignores this.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Why is it so important to have the first match on TV? It's not as though those who aren't there can savour the atmosphere, look around, taste the pies, drink the beer, piss in the bogs, get stuck in the train queue. TV can't bring them that experience.

If it's purely because they want to see the Albion play, then a match against Donny isn't going to float the TV companies' boat, and any other subsequent match ought to suffice.

Totally agree. The first match at the Amex is not, imo, about the game. It is about the celebration and the atmosphere. The only place you are going to experience that is to be at the stadium long before kick off, which the TV cameras will not show anyway. The actual match is not the main attraction that day, I would hope anyway.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is the culmination of 14 years efforts of trials and tribulations and many will want to share this moment. From the TV selling point Doncaster was our last and first fixtures in our own home. This is not a knock at DK but I think that he is wrong on this point and in an ideal world it would kick off at 3.00pm on Saturday but rules do not allow that so the best option would be 3.00pm Sunday or 5.15 Saturday. There will be interest in us playing at The Amex from many neutral football fans.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Dick knight did a lot for this club and we will always be grateful but towards the last years he was holding Brighton back, and the the statement in the paper make me glad he no longer's pulls the strings, BensGrandad agree with what you said, and also since last season Brighton have had a fair amount of courage for the right reason, so long it may continue

Bullshit no one has done more for this club than Dick Knight. He didn't have the money of Tony Bloom and relinquished power as soon as someone came in who could take the club forward. People call him Dick Tight, well it was about time our club was run properly with us cutting our cloth accordingly. Perhaps if we had always done that we wouldn't of racked up the debts that we did in the nineties.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I'm a bit uncertain about why tv ought to be discouraged?
A new stadium (new product on the market) and we try to keep it exclusive and lower the profile?
When tickets are getting scarcer (and I believe the club will do well from this initial launch) and season ticket holders are going to be coming most weeks this season - we capitalize on it, don't fear success, get as many people to realise that it's their sport in their town.
What else do they have or want.... a basketball club? Ice Hockey? Okay, so bring them on as well - but right now let's celebrate big. Seats are going to sell - the tv aren't going to detract from that. They will want to set up their cameras and be part of the show so let them.
Does Wimbledon Tennis get limited coverage, or lose revenue from television coverage?
More I think about this, the more I'm inclined to disagree with Sir Richard of Knight (all due respect, Dicky old china)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're missing a point here - its not down to Tony Bloom to "resist any attempts by TV to hijack the game". TV calls the tune. We can't take their millions and then say "oh but by the way, you can't televise our first game". If they want it, they'll have it.

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm pretty sure the other high profile fixtures will draw them away from ours this time.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Sorry!?!!!! Dont you think just hearing thwe kickoff whistle and the players starting to play on the ground that we have worked and fought so long for might mean something to us? For god's sake, some of you shoudl walk a mile in the ex-pats shoes! The moment that whistle goes will probably make me cry. Im going to be in England on that day and I will do my damndest to get a ticket and be there but if I believe I have as much right as anyone to share that first moment...... I cant believe the time of the game is more important than sharing the moement with everyone in the club?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Rather like other exiles, I would love this to be on the Saturday 5pm slot, more time for all to enjoy the pre-match, and also the possibility for us exiles to watch. I will miss out (my choice to move half way round the world, I know) but am LONGING to see the first ball kicked in anger.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We're missing a point here - its not down to Tony Bloom to "resist any attempts by TV to hijack the game". TV calls the tune. We can't take their millions and then say "oh but by the way, you can't televise our first game". If they want it, they'll have it.

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm pretty sure the other high profile fixtures will draw them away from ours this time.

Fine... this I can live with... NOT important people int he club tryign to stop it happening at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps if we had always done that we wouldn't of racked up the debts that we did in the nineties.

The problems with our debts started long before the 90s in fact can be traced back to us getting promoted to the old 1st Division and the contracts etc given out by Mike Bamber especially after the death of Keith Wickenden. We suffered as a result of our own success as has happened to many clubs. Yes DK came in and ran a tight ship simply because he had no choice but he did this well and we must all be grateful, but lets now move on and promote our image and plans to a bigger and wider audience.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have been very supportive of Dick as I think he has done great things for the club but that comment just makes me sick. Not all BHA supporters live in and around Brighton and there are many many of us who have put money into the club, participated in marches even travelled half way across the world to support the club so why should the first day be restricted to only those living in Brighton. If he really feels that way he should keep his thoughts to himself rather than slapping us in the face. The club will have a full capacity on that day whatever happens plus tv revenue so it isnt as if the club would lose money.

I really hope Tony ignores this.

I'm not in Brighton either, but think you are OTT in your response. The match is not restricted to only those living in Brighton, but I don't think that regular fans (i.e. STH's) should be inconvenienced just to appease minorities such as you and I.

Donny will not bring many, so there will be another 1,000 tickets available in the away end, plus the 2,000 that will go on general sale, plus some STH will not be able to make the match due to holidays and other commitments.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Surely a game where what's happening on the pitch is more important like Palace at home would be more attractive to an exiled fan. As others have said you are not really going to get much of the sense of occasion of the opening game from the TV.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry!?!!!! Dont you think just hearing thwe kickoff whistle and the players starting to play on the ground that we have worked and fought so long for might mean something to us? For god's sake, some of you shoudl walk a mile in the ex-pats shoes! The moment that whistle goes will probably make me cry. Im going to be in England on that day and I will do my damndest to get a ticket and be there but if I believe I have as much right as anyone to share that first moment...... I cant believe the time of the game is more important than sharing the moement with everyone in the club?

TV won't be able to bring you that.

You will be able to see it, but you won't be able to experience it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd like to see the Doncaster game televised so all Albion fans can get the chance to see us finally kick off in our new stadium not just those of us who are lucky enough to have tickets.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'm not in Brighton either, but think you are OTT in your response. The match is not restricted to only those living in Brighton, but I don't think that regular fans (i.e. STH's) should be inconvenienced just to appease minorities such as you and I.

Donny will not bring many, so there will be another 1,000 tickets available in the away end, plus the 2,000 that will go on general sale, plus some STH will not be able to make the match due to holidays and other commitments.

Are we a minority EP? If you counted up the number of Brighton fans on here how many does it come to...... and lets multiply that by.. what 10, 20,30? We ARE talking more than a thousand I suspect. Isnt that a sıgnificant number to consider? As Easy said it will probably be academic but my point remains... whatever happens I dont think Dick can justify making a comment that upsets a SIGNIFICANT number of BHA supporters... he just doesnt need to make it public....and I may be being OTT because over the last few years on NSC I have haerd just so many Brighton-based comments belittling what those of us who are unlucky enough not to live in Brighton or get to games think or do. Do we not deserve the same respect? Isnt that what being a fan of a club is all about?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Bullshit no one has done more for this club than Dick Knight. He didn't have the money of Tony Bloom and relinquished power as soon as someone came in who could take the club forward. People call him Dick Tight, well it was about time our club was run properly with us cutting our cloth accordingly. Perhaps if we had always done that we wouldn't of racked up the debts that we did in the nineties.

Old thinking. TB is not going to run this club into the ground now, not really.
You cannot compare the nineties with now of course, but we really were dead in the water without big money investment. Yes DK was wise enough - he had no choice or money to extend, to do anything else. Now we really can invest, but if you notice the club isn't plonking a hundred mil into expensive players and big wage bills - it's hoped that the support and the management and the natural desire and abilities of our players will (as it did last season) see us good.
I'd hate to see BHA do a QPR and price seats up beyond the average working wager's ability to come. So - get the sponsors, the tv, the prize money, advertisers to supplement the club! Maybe, just maybe there could be an interest in our Championship league from abroad too? TV channels proliferate worldwide, streaming channels can generate more income if you could select the match of your choice anywhere on the internet. Exiles might spend a fiver per game, as might foreign fans with an interest in us, or people who just can't get to the stadium for the day's event.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here