Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I assume that Undav will be a more accepting backup to Welbeck than Maupay has become, IMO. Maupay deserves to be a first choice striker somewhere, just not with us any more ...whereas Undav still has to work to prove himself worthy. That's my take.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I assume that Undav will be a more accepting backup to Welbeck than Maupay has become, IMO. Maupay deserves to be a first choice striker somewhere, just not with us any more ...whereas Undav still has to work to prove himself worthy. That's my take.

Be interesting to see if he’s first choice with a PL team or just back-up elsewhere (which is more likely IMO).

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Sorry - but if we're relying on people like Undav, who I saw yesterday, then we're taking a massive step backwards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I suppose the difference this season, is that Welbeck has shown he can last and perform for 90 minutes and on his performances so far he deserves to. I don't buy into the Welbeck has now got over all of his injury problems way of thinking, and even if it does turn out to be the case at some point, his current level of performance is likely to drop or GP will decide we need another skillset, or the sports scientists will be advising GP to manage Danny's minutes.

We've got 3 league games in 8 days coming up. I would be very surprised if we don't see a decent number of minutes for Undav in that run.

Why not re Welbeck ? At what point do you accept it ? He’s well over half a season without being unavailable for a game.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I posted on the FGR thread that his work off the ball was pretty much non existent last night. Whether that was a one off or not I don't know - he may have been carrying a knock in the 2nd half in particular - but assuming it's not, I can't see how he fits into a Potter system. Thats a type of forward he's never picked.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why not re Welbeck ? At what point do you accept it ? He’s well over half a season without being unavailable for a game.

It's not really about accepting it. I hope for it. The recent past is promising, but an entire career of being in and out suggests to me that it's sensible to contingency plan and that Deniz has got to make sure that if a chance comes for that reason or for any reason he's 100% ready

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Sorry - but if we're relying on people like Undav, who I saw yesterday, then we're taking a massive step backwards.

I am sure we are not relying on Undav. I was there too yesterday. Sure he took his goal well but he is about a stone overweight and waddles like a duck.

Hope GP and his merry men can sort him out but its a proper project. He must be miles away from Premier League minutes at the moment

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I posted on the FGR thread that his work off the ball was pretty much non existent last night. Whether that was a one off or not I don't know - he may have been carrying a knock in the 2nd half in particular - but assuming it's not, I can't see how he fits into a Potter system. Thats a type of forward he's never picked.

My thoughts too. He was almost comically lazy at times. His first touch (esp in the first half) was abysmal. In many respects (including, obviously, his appearance) he's very similar to Maupay - but without the work-rate. But presumably he must have something about him, otherwise the club wouldn't be happy to sell Maupay and keep Undav.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I suppose the difference this season, is that Welbeck has shown he can last and perform for 90 minutes and on his performances so far he deserves to. I don't buy into the Welbeck has now got over all of his injury problems way of thinking, and even if it does turn out to be the case at some point, his current level of performance is likely to drop or GP will decide we need another skillset, or the sports scientists will be advising GP to manage Danny's minutes.

We've got 3 league games in 8 days coming up. I would be very surprised if we don't see a decent number of minutes for Undav in that run.

How long does Welbeck have to stay fit/keep starting games/run his nuts off for 90 mins in the heat before you will buy into it ?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
My thoughts too. He was almost comically lazy at times. His first touch (esp in the first half) was abysmal. In many respects (including, obviously, his appearance) he's very similar to Maupay - but without the work-rate. But presumably he must have something about him, otherwise the club wouldn't be happy to sell Maupay and keep Undav.

I agree absolutely with this. Fingers crossed but the memories of Locadia at Kingstonian against Wimbledon in a pre-season game were uppermost in my mind last night.

As far as positives are concerned Alzate was princely and the two big lads, Colwill and van Hecke at the back looked composed and very competent against a team that gave it a proper go.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I am sure we are not relying on Undav. I was there too yesterday. Sure he took his goal well but he is about a stone overweight and waddles like a duck.

Hope GP and his merry men can sort him out but its a proper project. He must be miles away from Premier League minutes at the moment

Fair comment fisons. But we're not in League 1 anymore. The days of looking at someone and thinking "maybe he'll be ok when
he's fit (lost weight etc etc )" are gone. To my mind, he looked like a poor and even angrier, agitated version of Andone, someone
who I also thought would not fit in. I would be overjoyed to eat my words and have them thrown back at me in six months time, but
I'd be willing to bet he'll be a distant memory by then.
to the team.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

He very much reminded me of Maupay when he put that header wide. As an aside, I was standing bang in line with Fergusons cross to him which was inch perfect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here