Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
The player who really caught the eye last night was Ferguson. He looked a lot more assured than Undav, and I'd certainly have him as our 2nd striker ahead of Undav.

so based on one game you'd promote a 17 year old in the pecking order ahead of our new signing and one of the most productive players in Europe last season? ???

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not at all fast, like noticeably, visibly slow. Looked to take his goal well, kind of hard to really tell from the view from the away end, header wasn’t exactly a tap in, and he did well to angle it back across goal. I wouldn’t have called it missing a sitter but then I was up the other end of the pitch so maybe those nearer had a better view of that.

Still just think is going to have to have an eye for goal even better than Murray’s in order to succeed at this level, as he doesn’t seem to have any other obvious attributes. A weird signing all in all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it just me or is Undav not a bit.....grumpy?

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Don't understand the desire of some to write him off - even heard some lads abusing him. To me, he looked a little nervous and made some bad decisions/poor touches. But he also took the goal really well and made some excellent runs. With the right backing (from the club which he will get and from the fans, which he'll hopefully get) he should improve. Definitely didn't see enough to either write him off or get massively excited.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Don't understand the desire of some to write him off - even heard some lads abusing him. To me, he looked a little nervous and made some bad decisions/poor touches. But he also took the goal really well and made some excellent runs. With the right backing (from the club which he will get and from the fans, which he'll hopefully get) he should improve. Definitely didn't see enough to either write him off or get massively excited.

We love to write off players without giving them a chance. Love it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You might love it ( I know you are being ironic ) but I find it pathetic.

Yeah, same here.

I like to think that the people who are doing it genuinely are just preparing themselves against future disappointment given our track record with finding strikers. But I'm probably wrong.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He'll need to have decent game time in the top league in order for judgements to be made.

My only other comment, without having seen last night's game, is that you can do well in the PL if you don't obviously have physical attributes like pace, strength etc, but at least 2 or 3 of the other qualities you'd look for in a striker (finishing, movement, hold up play, work rate) then have to be very good in order to compensate.

If he's slow, but deadly in the box and a menace to a defence, i'll certainly take that. Over to you Deniz, to force your way in and show us what you're all about.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
so based on one game you'd promote a 17 year old in the pecking order ahead of our new signing and one of the most productive players in Europe last season? ???

Quite possibly yes. He looked really sharp last night and I don't care if he is only 17. I think the club have another real gem of a young player here and having seen a few of his performances in the U23's last season I would have no problem giving him a chance. If you're good enough, you're old enough. No problem with Undav but from what I've seen of both Ferguson looks the more suited to the British game. Just my opinion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All those games that Maupay just got chucked into by default last season? Undav should be given pretty much the same chance to show what he can do this season IMHO. And not just being thrown scraps in mickey mouse competitions or a worthless 2 minute meaningless jogaround when the game's already won. How else do you find out what the player is actually capable of under proper competitive conditions?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All those games that Maupay just got chucked into by default last season? Undav should be given pretty much the same chance to show what he can do this season IMHO. And not just being thrown scraps in mickey mouse competitions or a worthless 2 minute meaningless jogaround when the game's already won. How else do you find out what the player is actually capable of under proper competitive conditions?

We will need to be losing before he gets a proper chance imo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That would be a shame imo. Why not give the boy a proper run out? Maupay got multiple opportunities in the same role last season and more often than not failed to produce the goods

As long as we continue in the form we’ve shown so far his chances will be limited imo

We are not going to be winning the league his chance will come, let’s hope he takes it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That would be a shame imo. Why not give the boy a proper run out? Maupay got multiple opportunities in the same role last season and more often than not failed to produce the goods

May l just remind everyone that the season is still only three games old? (four if you include that Forest Green exercise).

I know that patience isn't the biggest virtue of many who post on NSC, but Undav's chance will come, just leave it to the boss to decide when the time is right.

In any case after our excellent start. two wins and a draw from our opening three games, what's the rush?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I suppose the difference this season, is that Welbeck has shown he can last and perform for 90 minutes and on his performances so far he deserves to. I don't buy into the Welbeck has now got over all of his injury problems way of thinking, and even if it does turn out to be the case at some point, his current level of performance is likely to drop or GP will decide we need another skillset, or the sports scientists will be advising GP to manage Danny's minutes.

We've got 3 league games in 8 days coming up. I would be very surprised if we don't see a decent number of minutes for Undav in that run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here