Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If Undav is our ‘main’ striker why has he played the same pre season minutes as Maupay, and less than Welbeck ?

Because GP sees Welbeck as our main striker, potentially with Trossard playing off him as our first choice pairing

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Quite like what I've seen so far. Links up play well and takes his chances early. Perhaps what you'd expect from a striker full of confidence. Let's hope he can get a goal or two early on in his Albion career and maintain that momentum.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well, I would say that Welbeck will start the season as the main striker, with Undav being eased in and both him and Maupay (if still here) getting minutes.

But I expect Undav to be the main striker before October's out.

Really?! If Welbeck remains fit, I'm confident he will be our main striker for the majority of the season. He is absolute class and looked so sharp at the end of last season and did on Saturday too. Outside of the 'big 6' clubs, I think he's one of the best strikers in the PL.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Really?! If Welbeck remains fit, I'm confident he will be our main striker for the majority of the season. He is absolute class and looked so sharp at the end of last season and did on Saturday too. Outside of the 'big 6' clubs, I think he's one of the best strikers in the PL.

Also think it will be very difficult to get ahead of Welbeck. No goal machine by any means but valuable in general and looks better than ever in his new hamstrings and after adapting his game a little bit to the fact that he is a bit stronger and not as extremely pacy as in the past.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Just a prediction. The 'If Welbeck remains fit' part of your post isn't a minor disclaimer' but a serious concern. Hopefully he does stay fit, but it will be by regulating his minutes, can't see him playing every game. But regardless, I have really good vibes about Undav, and I don't think he's here to be a benchwarmer.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Because GP sees Welbeck as our main striker, potentially with Trossard playing off him as our first choice pairing

Let's face it none of us know what Potter's first choice striker, or strike pairing, is going to be, until the season proper gets underway.

That's if he has a first choice at all, as we know how much he likes to rotate his squad, based on who our opponents are.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have really good vibes about Undav, and I don't think he's here to be a benchwarmer.

Agreed, l too just have a feeling that Deniz Undav is going to hit the ground running and could just net us a fair few goals this season, not based on anything much, just a feeling l have in my water.

One thing is for sure, if Maupay does depart for foereign climes he really will need to stand up to the plate.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Just a prediction. The 'If Welbeck remains fit' part of your post isn't a minor disclaimer' but a serious concern. Hopefully he does stay fit, but it will be by regulating his minutes, can't see him playing every game. But regardless, I have really good vibes about Undav, and I don't think he's here to be a benchwarmer.

Obviously there will always be concerns about Welbeck being able to stay fit, but he and the medical staff deserve a huge amount of credit for last season. After his surgery and return to the team he played in something like 21 of the remaining 22 games, he was a non playing sub in the game he didn’t play in. That’s over half a season where he was fit for selection every match. He was a huge part of the reason we went on that run at the end of the season too.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Agreed, l too just have a feeling that Deniz Undav is going to hit the ground running and could just net us a fair few goals this season, not based on anything much, just a feeling l have in my water.

One thing is for sure, if Maupay does depart for foereign climes he really will need to stand up to the plate.

Last time I had a feeling in my water I had to take a course of anti-biotics. :whistle:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Let's face it none of us know what Potter's first choice striker, or strike pairing, is going to be, until the season proper gets underway.

That's if he has a first choice at all, as we know how much he likes to rotate his squad, based on who our opponents are.

Do you think? It’s essentially how we ended last season & it was going pretty well.
Think it’s maybe right though that Undav might be in front of Maupay on the pecking order. A little quicker and hopefully a little sharper?

Would certainly foresee Welbs and Trossard as the pairing at ManU away as they contribute effectively in defence and can transition at speed

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He played over half a season without injury ! I think people can stop going on about it…..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Welbeck is our main striker we're straight back to the 'Brighton nil' of yore and staring down the barrel of relegation, again.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If Welbeck is our main striker we're straight back to the 'Brighton nil' of yore and staring down the barrel of relegation, again.

This plus your thoroughly disagreeable take on Sir Alex make me wonder whether you're feeling ok today, Stat? This is unusually negative and devoid of humour.

I'd Eden a guess that you need a Snickers!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Welbeck was probably our best player in the last half dozen games of the season, scoring three and assisting two. If, as has been reported, the doctors have solved his long term issue, and the work that he has done on his fitness during the summer reaps the reward and change of fortune he deserves, we could end up with a striker that, in normal circumstances, we couldn't afford. He is the same age now that Teddy Sheringham was when he signed for Man Utd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This plus your thoroughly disagreeable take on Sir Alex make me wonder whether you're feeling ok today, Stat? This is unusually negative and devoid of humour.

I'd Eden a guess that you need a Snickers!

Neither are meant to be funny.

I have absolutely no idea why United still let SAF loose around Old Trafford.
I could easily believe he's on a mission to preserve his own legacy by undermining the everybody else.

As for Welbeck.
The fella misses very presentable chance after chance and nobody bats an eyelid, cos it's Welbz and he's lovely.

That's fine if nobody else is getting shite for missing, but just about every other player does because the squad doesn't score enough goals.

If scoring is an issue - Welbeck isn't the solution.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
As for Welbeck.
The fella misses very presentable chance after chance and nobody bats an eyelid, cos it's Welbz and he's lovely.

That's fine if nobody else is getting shite for missing, but just about every other player does because the squad doesn't score enough goals.

If scoring is an issue - Welbeck isn't the solution.

Last season he scored 6 in 1,464 minutes from an xG of 8.29

Maups scored 8 in 2,271 minutes from an xG of 8.24

Welbz creates more/better chances per game but doesn't convert as well, but had he played as many minutes as Maups he'd probably have scored more. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here