Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes but that was because they got relegated the season before. His last 65 league games for them was in the German Bundesliga.

So a Noddy-lite Bundesliga team that finally got relegated.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Happy to be corrected but didn't Groß come from the German Championship?

Pretty sure we got him in the summer when they had been relegated to the Bundesliga, and our recruitment team (which is slagged off by certain highly knowledgeable posters) were aware of a low (c£3.5m) release clause.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Albion were no longer to look in the "noddy leagues" for their players - whatever that means but it sounds ridiculous - then the recruitment team might as well pack it in.

Mwepu (Austrian)
Undav (Belgian)
Trossard (Belgian)
Moder (Polish)
Koslowski (Polish)
Sima (Czech)
Sarmiento (Portugal)
Veltman (Holland)
Zeqiri (Swiss)

and so on.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Pretty sure we got him in the summer when they had been relegated to the Bundesliga, and our recruitment team (which is slagged off by certain highly knowledgeable posters) were aware of a low (c£3.5m) release clause.

Fairly sure it was the same with Uwe Hunemaier - signed from a team being relegated from Bundesliga.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Because outside of the big boys there isn't the money sloshing about like there is in the Prem.

Look at the next best things from the Bundesliga, Werner, Havertz, Sancho

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Along with the Premier League and La Liga, still regarded as one of the top leagues in Europe though. Still perhaps there are degrees of noddiness.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
An article about Undav:

Looks like he started out the right way - he's used to hard work, and knows that success is reliant on it.

I'm just not sure about the Gerd Muller stuff.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19893460.brightons-new-striker-compared-germany-legend-gerd-muller/

"“In the academy at Werder Bremen some coaches called me Gerd Muller. I didn’t know who he was at first, but they said I had a similar style…with a big backside."

We need to get him paired up with Billy Arce...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If Albion were no longer to look in the "noddy leagues" for their players - whatever that means but it sounds ridiculous - then the recruitment team might as well pack it in.

Mwepu (Austrian)
Undav (Belgian)
Trossard (Belgian)
Moder (Polish)
Koslowski (Polish)
Sima (Czech)
Sarmiento (Portugal)
Veltman (Holland)
Zeqiri (Swiss)

and so on.

I always find the term so disrespectful. It smacks of Premier League arrogance (not from you Jem). You could include those from the "farmers league" Bissouma, Caicedo from Ecuador and Mitoma from Japan. Some leagues do have a higher standard, sure, but there are good players in every league. It just so happens that sometimes it doesn't work out, either because they may not be good enough (Locadia) which is on us, of the transition takes too long to adapt (Jahanbakhsh).

Either way, all the club can to is try and get the best players they can by using their extensive scouting and data analysis.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we are going to stop recruiting in the 'lesser leagues' then I am not sure what that leaves after the Premier League? Or should we be buying players off other Premier League teams? Sounds expensive.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looking at his finishing on his showreels, he seems to score the chances Welbz (not so much), Maupay and other struggle with - the simple ones. He could be massive for us.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Looking at his finishing on his showreels, he seems to score the chances Welbz (not so much), Maupay and other struggle with - the simple ones. He could be massive for us.

I thought that. Its seems odd to praise a striker for scoring the simple ones, but it stuck out in the videos I saw that he seemed to almost nonchalantly tuck away a lot of those 10 yard out 'easy' chances where you want someone calmly passing the ball into the bottom corner rather than panicking because its almost too good of a chance. Maybe he'll learn the Brighton way but from highlights he certainly seemed calm and confident with those closer range chances.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought that. Its seems odd to praise a striker for scoring the simple ones, but it stuck out in the videos I saw that he seemed to almost nonchalantly tuck away a lot of those 10 yard out 'easy' chances where you want someone calmly passing the ball into the bottom corner rather than panicking because its almost too good of a chance. Maybe he'll learn the Brighton way but from highlights he certainly seemed calm and confident with those closer range chances.

Potter - “Welcome to the squad Deniz, before you join up with the whole group, you’ll be undergoing a 2 week intensive shooting and finishing course run by our most experienced top flight player, Adam Lallana”.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Potter - “Welcome to the squad Deniz, before you join up with the whole group, you’ll be undergoing a 2 week intensive shooting and finishing course run by our most experienced top flight player, Adam Lallana”.

"When taking a penalty, please nonchalantly roll the ball slowly down the middle of the goal or if you do accidentally go left or right, keep it at a savable height. Looking at these tricky 8-10 yard chances, a "snap shot" if you will, if you could aim just up there in the far corner... under the Heineken lounge"

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sure Undav himself says physicality is one of his assets!

The final quote of the article suggests he means in terms of fitness.

“I think the level of the Premier League is too high for him. You can see it here, after 70 minutes of play.”

But fitness can be improved....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here