Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Uganda has the highest amount of Roman Catholics in Africa.

It also has been one of the more successful African nations in regards to reducing incidence of AIDS.

The Pope never said anyone will burn in hell for wearing a condom.

So I think you might be talking a bit of shit there.

"[AIDS] cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems".

Not quite "burn in hell", but close.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Oh right, but religon can though? It was all down to a bloke with a beard putting in a hard weeks work. Let there be light, and there was light! Well that explains it! Let's go down the pub, sorted.

At least physics is attempting to find the real answers by a process of trial and error. And contrary to what you say much of this can be tested in one way or another. More importantly, all theories are subject to rigourous debate and criticism. When theories are proved to be wrong they are instantly discarded, a far cry from religous doctrine.

Religion doesn't need to prove anything though. You either believe or you don't.

And, all physics is doing is trying to put a "human truth" to a matter. Of course this truth could be so far off the actual truth of the matter.

But so long as it appeases that scientists truth then that's ok, which kinda sounds like what religion does for people also.

It provides them with "their" own truth.

The great irony for me is that the average atheist spends more time going on about God than the average religious person does.

Imagine that, wasting all this time on something you don't even believe in.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Oh right, but religon can though? It was all down to a bloke with a beard putting in a hard weeks work. Let there be light, and there was light! Well that explains it! Let's go down the pub, sorted.

At least physics is attempting to find the real answers by a process of trial and error. And contrary to what you say much of this can be tested in one way or another. More importantly, all theories are subject to rigourous debate and criticism. When theories are proved to be wrong they are instantly discarded, a far cry from religous doctrine.

yeah, lets all trust the scientists - great, trial and error - so when they were scaring people to death in the 70's by predicting a massive ICE AGE in the coming years and then just conviently say 'oh sorry, we got it wrong' - it's ok because it's debated ?

The Pope never said anyone will burn in hell for wearing a condom.

So I think you might be talking a bit of shit there.

Funnily enough it wasn't a direct quote FFS. The pope has said that it is a SIN to wear a condom. The Roman Catholic church teaches that sinners burn in hell, I know cos it scared the bejesus out of me when they taught me at school (it was a Roman Catholic convent) aged 5. The pope backs both of these view points so yes, he is saying that.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
"[AIDS] cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems".

Not quite "burn in hell", but close.

Quite far from it.

Handing out condoms to uneducated people can aggravate the issue.

They think it gives them a carte blance on sex when even condoms aren't the be all and end all to stoping the disease, which gives them a false sense of security.

Only abstinance can truly prevent someone from getting it and that's the simple truth regardless of science or religion.

What theories have proved to be wrong?

The Earth being flat, the Earth being the centre of the universe... er do you want me to list them all? But I see what you are getting at, each theory is the best guess given current evidence available and could be proved wrong or subject to a "black swan" event. I like that, it's a positive not a negative as it means we are always striving to improve our knowledge and not just relying on a schizophrenic nutter who has been up a mountain setting fire to bushes and talking directly to god.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
it scared the bejesus out of me when they taught me at school (it was a Roman Catholic convent) aged 5.

Explains a lot.

If you've only seen that side of Christianity, I can understand why you have issues with it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
The Earth being flat, the Earth being the centre of the universe... er do you want me to list them all? But I see what you are getting at, each theory is the best guess given current evidence available and could be proved wrong or subject to a "black swan" event. I like that, it's a positive not a negative as it means we are always striving to improve our knowledge and not just relying on a schizophrenic nutter who has been up a mountain setting fire to bushes and talking directly to god.

so basically, they can have a guess and if they are wrong, have a guess again ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Funnily enough it wasn't a direct quote FFS. The pope has said that it is a SIN to wear a condom. The Roman Catholic church teaches that sinners burn in hell, I know cos it scared the bejesus out of me when they taught me at school (it was a Roman Catholic convent) aged 5. The pope backs both of these view points so yes, he is saying that.

Well I went through 12 years of Catholic schools and I never once heard the words "burn in hell" mentioned.

I just asked a house mate if they ever heard such words (he attended a different catholic school) and he's never heard it mentioned either.

So forgive me if I don't believe that 100%.

It's just that over the years iv'e heard so much utter bullshit from people who claim to have gone to Catholic schools.

Naturally I know alot of Catholics, many educated at various schools from all over the place and many of them from diverse ethnic backgrounds.

But the one thing they all have in common is that none ever can relate to any of the crap brought up in threads like this that catholics schools are suppossed to have taught.

Explains a lot.

If you've only seen that side of Christianity, I can understand why you have issues with it.

Hahaha! I knew you would like that, I gave you that one. But the fact is I've been to a Catholic school, a C of E school and an independent and have made my own choice after much thought. Of the 3, the Catholic was by far the worst in terms of f***ing with your head but produced the best academic results. Not really sure what to make of that.

I have issues with religon, not Christianity, it just so happens I have more experience of Christianity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here