Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

seems that way - I mean, you can say it has been proved and then when it turns out it is bullshit - you can then have another go and say it has been proved all over again. To my mind, that's a bit of guess work

Tell you what then, don't drive your car anymore, don't wear your mass produced clothes, don't use any form of electrical power or take any medication if you fall ill because it might turn out to be proved wrong one day. God likes people who live in caves and talk to animals so try that instead, your place in heaven will be assured and they may even name a primary school after you. :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
seems that way - I mean, you can say it has been proved and then when it turns out it is bullshit - you can then have another go and say it has been proved all over again. To my mind, that's a bit of guess work

Wow. So you can just say it has been proved. It will be a worry if you ever have to go to hospital.

If you do look at it like creationism (story) vs evolution (guess) I suppose you may as well go with the one promising eternal happiness.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But we were told where we were going if we committed a mortal sin.

And we all knew what hell was going to be like.

So I for one recognise what Lokki is saying.

All depends how literally you take it.

If the average person with a conscience commits any crime they probably do go through hell unti they are able to make peace with themselve over what they did.

All I was taught was that only the most evil people go to hell.

And I'm fine with that, because 98% of the world aren't evil and thus have little to worry about.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Tell you what then, don't drive your car anymore, don't wear your mass produced clothes, don't use any form of electrical power or take any medication if you fall ill because it might turn out to be proved wrong one day. God likes people who live in caves and talk to animals so try that instead, your place in heaven will be assured and they may even name a primary school after you. :thumbsup:

yup - that is written in the bible 'only people who live in caves and talk to animals are truly righteous....'

unbelievable

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
All depends how literally you take it.

If the average person with a conscience commits any crime they probably do go through hell unti they are able to make peace with themselve over what they did.

All I was taught was that only the most evil people go to hell.

And I'm fine with that, because 98% of the world aren't evil and thus have little to worry about.

We were taught a mortal sin would do it. Unless you went to confession and received whatever it was.

Also if you were not baptised - you ended up in Limbo.

It does absolutely depend how literally you take it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wow. So you can just say it has been proved. It will be a worry if you ever have to go to hospital.

If you do look at it like creationism (story) vs evolution (guess) I suppose you may as well go with the one promising eternal happiness.

You realise the majority of Christians AREN'T Creationists yeah?

You realise the majority of Christians AREN'T Creationists yeah?

So the majority of Christians don't believe the Bible? So what is the point of it? If some of it is nonesense how can you tell which bits are and which bits not? And why would god throw us a swerve ball in the first place? Mysterious indeed!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So, scientific progress is a no no for you?

Depends how you define progress.

What good is being able to cure cancer if the world can be desimated at the push of the button.

People are bitching and moaning about global warming.

If it's occuring as is being put forth then that's all at the feet of scientific progress is it not?

Are we as a society and future generations any better off overall though for these scientific advances?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So the majority of Christians don't believe the Bible? So what is the point of it? If some of it is nonesense how can you tell which bits are and which bits not? And why would god throw us a swerve ball in the first place? Mysterious indeed!

I believe in Jesus. Believing in Jesus doesn't mean taking everything (translated) literally. Some of it is very clearly parables, metaphors, allegories and the like.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I believe in Jesus. Believing in Jesus doesn't mean taking everything (translated) literally. Some of it is very clearly parables, metaphors, allegories and the like.

Without stating the obvious - actually with stating the obvious - the flaw is your statement, and you probably hesitated whilst writing it - is "clearly".

Clear to whom ?

Then maybe the story of Jesus is a parable also? Or perhaps just bits of his life, water into wine, the resurrection or virgin birth for example?

Surely the creator of all things can come up with a clearer manual then that. Makes Ikea instructions look clear and precise.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
And there was me being told time and time again that we were born sinners.

Religion and Science - a lethal combination. Take either out of the equation and you've got peace and harmony.

well, not quite, you forgot the human race - seems to me that we constantly blame religion and science etc and forget the fact that humans always have and always will find something to fight about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here