Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

well, not quite, you forgot the human race - seems to me that we constantly blame religion and science etc and forget the fact that humans always have and always will find something to fight about.

Well who created the human race? If it was god then surely it is his fault? He is all powerful after all so he knew what he was doing suppossedly.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And I know which i'd take out of the equation rather quickly.

So you'd rather take religion out ahead of science even though Stalin the atheist and his regime were the biggest killers in human history thanks in part to science providing them with the technology to brutally oppress great expanses of Europe.

Strange choice.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
yeah, because that would solve it all wouldn't it !?

take religion away and man would find somethig else to have a massive bundle over - it is just an excuse

Maybe, but it'd take away the need to slam doors in the faces of the Jehovah's Witnesses that come round my house every week!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
So you'd rather take religion out ahead of science even though Stalin the atheist and his regime were was the biggest killers in human history thanks in part to science providing them with the technology to brutally oppress great expanses of Europe.

Strange choice.

I wouldn't take away science, because firstly my job would consist of keeping people in pain, killing them needlessly, and having a mortality rate as high as it was in Victorian times. It would also mean that all my operations wouldn't have happened, that when I had depression I would have suffered, and my life would be pretty damn miserable.

Also you can argue that take away religion and the Holocaust wouldn't have happened, if you want to use the Stalin theory.

In my mind religion doesn't make any sense to me, it can't save your life, science can.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
well, not quite, you forgot the human race - seems to me that we constantly blame religion and science etc and forget the fact that humans always have and always will find something to fight about.

The average anti-relgion atheist loves to blame religion for all the wars through history.

Even though one look through history shows it is human greed for land/resources that has been the reason for the greatest % of conflicts.

None of the 4 biggest wars in the last century WW1, WW2, Korean War and the Vietnam War had anything to do with religion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hitler and Stalin were Atheists, so that proves everything..............

WHAT ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Depends how you define progress.

What good is being able to cure cancer if the world can be desimated at the push of the button.

People are bitching and moaning about global warming.

If it's occuring as is being put forth then that's all at the feet of scientific progress is it not?

Are we as a society and future generations any better off overall though for these scientific advances?
Well what would you prefer? Should we all live in mud huts and die at 35?
It's not a perfect world but it seems preferable to the alternative. Human progress has done and is doing significant damage to the environment, which is why we need to continue to progress to find better ways of doing things.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wouldn't take away science, because firstly my job would consist of keeping people in pain, killing them needlessly, and having a mortality rate as high as it was in Victorian times. It would also mean that all my operations wouldn't have happened, that when I had depression I would have suffered, and my life would be pretty damn miserable.

Also you can argue that take away religion and the Holocaust wouldn't have happened, if you want to use the Stalin theory.

In my mind religion doesn't make any sense to me, it can't save your life, science can.

You do realise the holocaust wasn't a religious thing?

It was a racial thing, it's purpoise wasn't to destroy a religion, but a race of people.

Sorry to hear you've had some tough times.

But there's people in this world who unlike you and I really do live in the worst conditions possible.

But where as we can afford or are able to enjoy the benefits of some benefical scinetific creation, well those poor people don't.

All they have is their religious faith to help raise them from their misery.

I guess that's why most atheists reside in well off western nations.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

It was a racial thing, it's purpoise wasn't to destroy a religion, but a race of people.

...pretty true, the Nazis also wanted to wipe out gypsies, homosexuals and the handicapped...in fact pretty much anyone who didn't satisfy the requirements for belonging to the aryan master race.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Sorry to hear you've had some tough times.

But there's people in this world who unlike you and I really do live in the worst conditions possible.

But where as we can afford or are able to enjoy the benefits of some benefical scinetific creation, well those poor people don't.

All they have is their religious faith to help raise them from their misery.

I guess that's why most atheists reside in well off western nations.

A race of JEWISH people, mainly.

I can well understand that there are people who feel the need to complete their lives and cope with situations by placing blame in some existential being, I just don't feel the need in my life. When I argued this with the bigoted Jehovah's that come over my house and blame my disability on something that I have done, they stated that I must have some religious experience when I see people die at work, and I don't, because I don't need to. I know when people die, their organs shut down, and their heart stops. That's it in my mind.

It can be argued that people live in the worst conditions possible because they don't have access to the science that will get them out of their problems - especially from a medical point of view.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
...pretty true, the Nazis also wanted to wipe out gypsies, homosexuals and the handicapped...in fact pretty much anyone who didn't satisfy the requirements for belonging to the aryan master race.

Obviously Hitler and his henchmen were evil but there is a genuine need to cull gypsies you know every now and again.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Religion explains why, Science explains how.

Gandhi said something very similiar, I'm trying to find it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well what would you prefer? Should we all live in mud huts and die at 35?
It's not a perfect world but it seems preferable to the alternative. Human progress has done and is doing significant damage to the environment, which is why we need to continue to progress to find better ways of doing things.

The more you continue to progress the more you will create other new issues.

It's the proverbial snake chasing its own tail.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Religion explains why, Science explains how.

Gandhi said something very similiar, I'm trying to find it.

He also said he wasn`t going to eat his dinner on more than one occasion.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
For Albert Einstein, it wasn't a choice of choosing Science over Religion or vice versa - one is significantly weaker without the other.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here