Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For Albert Einstein, it wasn't a choice of choosing Science over Religion or vice versa - one is significantly weaker without the other.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Quite.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
When I used to say I wasn`t going to eat my dinner I got a clip round the earhole from my mum when he said it they gave him India.

Indiagestion?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A race of JEWISH people, mainly.

I can well understand that there are people who feel the need to complete their lives and cope with situations by placing blame in some existential being, I just don't feel the need in my life. When I argued this with the bigoted Jehovah's that come over my house and blame my disability on something that I have done, they stated that I must have some religious experience when I see people die at work, and I don't, because I don't need to. I know when people die, their organs shut down, and their heart stops. That's it in my mind.

It can be argued that people live in the worst conditions possible because they don't have access to the science that will get them out of their problems - especially from a medical point of view.

Well the Jehovah's are froot loops.

No disabilitys have anything to do with God or religions.

And yes science maybe able to help with medical issues.

But if you look back over the medical scientific history how many people/animals were sacrificed in the name of this field?

I only bring this up because there seems to always be a cry from the anti-religious calling for accountability.

But I can't say there's ever such an outcry for science having to be answerable to the same degree despite it being every bit as guilty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You realise the majority of Christians AREN'T Creationists yeah?

well now, thats very true. trouble is a number of very powerful (at least until recently) Christians were of the literally bible is the exact word of god type.

I believe in Jesus. Believing in Jesus doesn't mean taking everything (translated) literally. Some of it is very clearly parables, metaphors, allegories and the like.

so that puts you in the more rational religious types. good for you. however, you have a problem: how do you know what to take literally and what to treat as allegory and what to outright ignore? rhetorical, i'm highlighting the underlying problem of religion, its basis is in faith, teaching and interpretation.

Religion explains why, Science explains how.

and then you slip up: Religion attempts to explain why but fails. its no more than a branch of philosophy really, but unfortunatly all too often rejects logic and rational debate for dogma.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
I haven't seen many balanced views of Christianity in the media recently, putting them in a positive light, showing them putting Jesus' teachings of love, compassion, non-prejudice and community into practice. I see these things all the time in the local church.

No one say Songs of Praise.

Hope for mankind v slaughter of nations/peasants/non believers/ in the name of a relatively recently made up biblical text? Quite difficult to balance that one.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
For Albert Einstein, it wasn't a choice of choosing Science over Religion or vice versa - one is significantly weaker without the other.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

widely misquoted out of context. Einstien was a declared agnostic. The "religion" he speaks of is not that of established churches, but rather the deeper inate feeling we have to question the world and seek answers:

But science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion.

ultimatly he holds science above religion:

The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge. In this sense I believe that the priest must become a teacher if he wishes to do justice to his lofty educational mission.

from the same letter as the misquote

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But if you look back over the religious history how many people/animals were sacrificed in the name of this field?

couldnt let that go past. dont try the moral card.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
couldnt let that go past. dont try the moral card.

It's nothing to do with morals, It's to do with hypocrisy.

There's plenty of slander directed at religions for past acts by its opponents.

How about some consistency and ripping the shit out of science/scientists for its contributions to the f***ed up state of the planet today.

Christians shouldn't be fighting really.

What, not even if a swain drug-convict undereducated son of an ex-president says "this is a CRUSADE"?
Surely that's a cue for a nation to send their sons and daughters off to get blown up in the name of Jesus? (while accusing their intended victims, whose children their leader has already had killed and maimed, of being religious zealots)

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
There's plenty of slander directed at religions for past acts by its opponents.

its not slander if its true. typical of the religious fanboi to deny anything bad was ever done in the name of religion, its all done by those against.

scientists have often angiushed over the impact and effects of their work, but they do so individually, not as some single body, as they recognise we are all individual, sentient beings responsible for our own decisions.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
widely misquoted out of context. Einstien was a declared agnostic. The "religion" he speaks of is not that of established churches, but rather the deeper inate feeling we have to question the world and seek answers:

ultimatly he holds science above religion:

from the same letter as the misquote

Whilst Einstein didn't have a belief in a personal God, he did view science as a way of getting to know a God who reveals himself through what exists in the natural world.

"I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."

With a little research, there have been many other renowed scientists throughout history who have been able to combine religious faith/belief/thinking with their work - here's 11 of the most well-known (which I guess is fairly appropriate for a football site):

1. Nicholas Copernicus
Science - mathematically-based system of planets going around the sun
Religion - Canon in the Catholic church; referred to God in his works

2. Sir Francis Bacon
Science - scientific method of enquiry through experimentation and reasoning
Religion - rejected atheism as being insufficient depth of philosophy

3. Johannes Kepler
Science - light; laws of planetary motion about the Sun
Religion - Lutheran; astronomical writings on how space and the heavenly bodies represented the Trinity

4. Galileo Galilei
Science - Sun-centred solar system
Religion - saw his system as an alternate interpretation of Biblical texts; said the Bible cannot err

5. Rene Descartes
Science - mathematician; scientist; father of modern philosophy
Religion - deep Catholic faith; sought to establish near certainty of existence of God

6. Isaac Newton
Science - optics; mechanics; mathematics; chemistry
Religion - much work on biblical numerology;
"The most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

7. Robert Boyle
Science - Boyle's Law (gases)
Religion - devout Protestant; gave money to have New Testament translated into Irish and Turkish

8. Michael Faraday
Science - electricity; magnetism
Religion - member of Sandemanians who rejected idea of state churches

9. Gregor Mendel
Science - genetics
Religion - a monk who was elected Abbot of his Monastery

10. William Kelvin
Science - many areas of modern physics
Religion - Old Earth Creationist who estimated the age of the earth to be between 20 and 100 Million years

11. Max Planck
Science - quantum theory - atomic/sub-atomic world
Religion - churchwarden, expressed view that God is everywhere present
Both science and religion wage a "tireless battle against skepticism and dogmatism, against unbelief and superstition".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here